when to do first oil change on 17 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
When should I do the first oil change on my new 5.3 Silverado 1500 ? Right away, filter only or let it run 5000 miles. Opinions wanted

I like to do the first change at about 2,000 miles. No facts or reasons why, just seems like a good time.

2000-3000 or when it starts making "I'm sheared to death" noise constantly.

500 mile or 10 hour-meter OC are for UNFILTERED engines.

I'm in the minority on so many things, but, I say 500, then 2000, then follow your preferred maintenance schedule based on UOA and comfort level. Diff fluid early as well, say 10k max.

The sump on the new GM trucks is 8qts.

Most wait until 3 to 5k miles. Others wait until the OLM states to change. It is really up to you and what you want to do.

I change out early at 500 miles. Yes that is crazy but it is just me, not to mention I like to work on vehicles and change oil.

Go back with any dexos1™ oil that is on the market and you will be fine.

I changed out the FF oil about 4.2k on my Malibu and at 34.2k now they have been trouble free miles. I usally change the oil between 15-20%. Im at 19% on the OLM right now so it will prob get changed next week when it cools down.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
The sump on the new GM trucks is 8qts.

Most wait until 3 to 5k miles. Others wait until the OLM states to change. It is really up to you and what you want to do.

I change out early at 500 miles. Yes that is crazy but it is just me, not to mention I like to work on vehicles and change oil.

Go back with any dexos1™ oil that is on the market and you will be fine.

If I bought a new car, id dump it at 500, 2000, 4000, followed by normal OCI's. Id use a Fram Ultra as well. Overkill? Definitely.

Congrats on the new truck. Myself, I like to change the factory oil at around 1600-2000 km (1000-1200 miles).
I'm glad I did this on my 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It has a cartridge oil filter and when I looked at it,
the filter had a couple dozen aluminum chips left over from the machining process. I changed the oil again at
5000 km (3100 mi) and it still had chips on the filter. After that it was fine. Good luck.

If there are any bits in the engine "left over from the machining process" why does changing the oil prematurely result in any benefit? They're caught in the filter, they are not going to clog the filter, and they're not going to magically go through the media and damage anything.

I do my first oil change after the same number of miles as any of my subsequent oil changes.

Leased? When the OLM says close to zero...on my 2017 I got two free oil changes...not sure if that's a lease thing, manufacturer thing, dealer thing?

Own for life? Well the LS is hard to kill, but you might do 5000 miles. Lots of these in fleets get to 300,000 miles on bulk oil.

I have a new 2017 Sierra 5.3L and my plan is OLM under 10%, 5,000 miles, or 1 year whichever comes first. That will also be my plan moving forward.

Changed at 954 miles in the `16 Suburban in my signature (same L83 engine). Lots of visible metal.

I was debating also that I might be doing this too early, but glad I did after seeing the metal flakes in oil and drain pan. The bigger pieces were aluminum and the super fine stuff in the oil that glittered was probably a combination of metals.

I cut apart the factory filter and found very little.

Last edited:
You'll never be able to tell a difference and that engine will likely outlast the truck.

I'm very probably wasting oil (I do recycle though), but I change at about 1/2 the normal severe cycle recommended by the manufacture. If the severe cycle is 7,500 miles, I change at ~ 3,500 then 7,500 and then every 7,500. I also like to use the OEM filter for at least the first several changes. I do believe it is foolish to change very early. My engines are known to have high moly and it is impossible to find across the counter oil to replace the FF. Ed

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If there are any bits in the engine "left over from the machining process" why does changing the oil prematurely result in any benefit? They're caught in the filter, they are not going to clog the filter, and they're not going to magically go through the media and damage anything.

I do my first oil change after the same number of miles as any of my subsequent oil changes.

It's true that the filter will catch particles above the nominal micron size.

What I've always thought is the break in metals are always high, for every engine, and getting those abrasive particles (that are smaller than the filter can capture) can only help with the longevity of the engine.

I am with the early change crowd here, 500, 1500, 3000 and 6000 followed by normal intervals.

17 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 here. GM gives two free service visits; oil change and tire rotations for all new vehicles. Did the first change at 5K miles. No drama before or after the change. No usage, leaks, etc. I have one more freebe left. Makes me nervous with dealers doing oil changes, but to their credit oil level was correct, drain plug was tight, filter tight and the wheels were correctly torqued. I checked; which brings up the fact that since my BITOG OCD runs so strong that I feel the need to check these things; I might as well do them myself. So that's the plan going forward, but I guess I'll still let them do the free service the 2nd time.

From there on out the plan is 5K ocis for me.

when the OLM tells you to change it, unless otherwise stated in the owners manual
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back