Accidental use of 5w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm pretty sure i know the answer to this question but i thought I'd ask anyway. I change my Mom's oil for her and for the first time i tasked her to head to walmart to buy the oil. I sent her a text description and picture of the magnatec 5w20 5qt jug i wanted her to buy. Well long story short after draining her oil and picking up the jug to fill up the engine i realize she grabbed 5w30. I threw it in thinking it wasn't a big deal. The car is a 2013 dodge journey 2.4l gamma engine. It's out of warranty so no worry there. I'm thinking of just having her run it 4k miles like always. Would any of you be concerned?

When the engine warms up, it will die because the oils too thick.
laugh.gif

I would not be concerned, it will be fine on either. To be honest if you sent me to the shop to pick up some Magnatec for you, I too would come back with the full syn 5W30 and it would not be by mistake.

Celebrate by running that good oil to 6k miles. It can go the distance.

4k? Is that all Dodge prescribes?

Have you asked your mom to buy oil for you in the past? If not, why didn't you check that she had the right oil before draining the old oil?

The difference between the 5W-20 and 5W-30 will be negligible; certainly nothing to warrant changing the oil early.

Generally, higher rpm engines use thicker oil. Make sure you rev your mom's Journey to redline frequently so the oil is used properly.

Been running PUP 5w-30 in my 2016 Outback since new, calls for 0w-20, have 29k and it runs/sounds great.

I would leave it in and not worry a bit.

She won't know the difference till around Xmas when the temps are very cold and the mileage starts taking a bit of a hit and by then YOU can pickup the recommended oil and do another change.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
She won't know the difference till around Xmas when the temps are very cold and the mileage starts taking a bit of a hit and by then YOU can pickup the recommended oil and do another change.

I highly dpubt her mileage difference would be noticeable....sub 1%

You can't go back to 5W-20 now !! That engine is stretched out to 5W-30 clearances !!

Go back to 5W-20 and your oil pressure will be next to nothing !!

You need to drain that molasses ASAP and replace it with 5W20 or your engine will suffer from extreme startup wear.

Chevy specs 5W-30 in their HO V8s then tells you to use 15W-50 when you go to the track. What does that tell you about oil viz?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You need to drain that molasses ASAP and replace it with 5W20 or your engine will suffer from extreme startup wear.

OP is caught in a tug-a-war.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Absolutely no harm. I've run everything from 5w20 to 10w30 to euro 0w40 in the in-laws' '10 Caravan 3.8L and nothing has phased it.

Or even fazed it.

Originally Posted By: bioburner

Not likely. By then, the 30 grade oil will have sheared down to a "25 grade." And by the end of the OCI, it just might be a 20 grade again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back