2015 Ford Edge Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an oil recommendation for my wife's car. We just bought it so this will be the first oil change I've don't on it. It has the 3.5L engine and calls for 5w20 synthetic blend oil. Her commute is over an hour with 95% of it on the interstate. It has the oil life monitor on it which should notify her at 7,500 to 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions.

Since she'll be putting so many miles on this car, I'd really like to get at least 7,500 miles out of an oil change. I use maxlife full synthetic 5w-20 in my car. (2001 Ford Edge w/180,xxx miles). I know her's doesn't need the high mileage oil but would it be ok in her car with those intervals? It would be easier for me to use the same oil in both vehicles and I already have a little stockpile of it. I'm not against buying something else if it's better suited for her car, I'm just lazy. I usually use the motorcraft filters.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Kyle

As far as I know there's no reason not to use the MaxLife Full Synthetic in that vehicle. I'm still new around here but I've gathered that the MaxLife synthetic is good stuff. After I use the Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 I have for my Odyssey I'm planning to run MaxLife Full Synthetic 0W-20.

Welcome to BITOG!

I like Valvoline oils, but I am a Pennzoil (ab)user. That being said, I would use PP 5W-20 in both, or PPHM 5w-20 in place of the ML. But, there's absolutely nothing wrong with ML... it's a great engine oil, and the transmission fluid is really great too. Welcome to BITOG!

Anyone would serve you well but it looks like Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w-20 has served you well in your other edge I see no reason no just to stick with what's gotten you over 180,000 miles. Don't over think what's working!

Last edited:
I had that motor in my previous car and it did great with Mobil 1. But any quality full synthetic will be fine. Even Motorcradr oil is great. If you're driving mostly freeway, then the OLM will take you all the way to 10,000 miles. I personally would take it to 20% life remaining and do an analysis. If the oil life and wear tracks well against the monitor, thrn you know you're GTG.

Any oil that meets the recommended oil specs listed in the owners manual will allow life beyond your ownership of the vehicle will work. That being said if you have a favorite brand of oil that makes you feel good run it. Today's oils are that good. ValvolineFull syn with Maxlife technology is a super oil..

Use whatever full synthetic you can get cheapest, with a quality filter (don't go nuts - you don't need a M1 filter for 7500 OCI). Maxlife HM and a Motorcraft filter will suit you just fine. You only have to worry at all if you have the Eco Boost, which thankfully you don't (those are DI and turbo - really hard on oil).

We have the same engine in a 2014 and I've gone around 7500 miles per OCI with Pennzoil Platinum, M1, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability. The engine looks like you could eat off of it in the fill hole. It has a little over 30k on it. I'm waiting until Menards has QSUD for $1.99/qt again after rebate to stock up.

Yes use Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic in both. It's a great oil that works well in any mileage car.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-20 is old news. Ford is switching their new cars over to Motorcraft 5W-30.

Even the NA motors?

Originally Posted By: Onug
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-20 is old news. Ford is switching their new cars over to Motorcraft 5W-30.

Even the NA motors?

My 2017 Fusion calls for 5-20. The Ecoboost engines call for 5-30, but that's about the turbo.

Last edited:
I use in my Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost Castrol Edge or Magnatec 5W30.I'm sure you can get either of these oils in 5W20 weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back