Home

Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP

Posted By: Matagonka

Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 12:08 PM

Which one would you choose? OCI would be about 10-13K. I've seen plenty of M1 EP UOAs but not so much on Castrol EP.
Posted By: kr_bitog

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Which one would you choose? OCI would be about 10-13K. I've seen plenty of M1 EP UOAs but not so much on Castrol EP.

I am also interested to know, based on what I read Castrol EP seems better.
M1 EP SN version is great, but not the SM version.
Posted By: KL31

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 12:19 PM

Depends all on price I think, providing they both meet your engine's requirements. If one is far cheaper, I'd bet happily that the price difference would not equate equally to performance difference.
Posted By: RedOakRanch

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 12:50 PM

I've got an old post with a BC0w30 UOA, on the same report the previous UOA was Castrol edge gold ext 5w30. Very good numbers, I'd post the link but it's a pain on my phone. Easy to search though.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 02:40 PM

Castrol comes in sweet golden bottles and, as we all know, gold is better than silver.
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 05:30 PM

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...
Posted By: pbm

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 05:56 PM

I would choose Mobil 1 EP for it's better cold start numbers...
Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 06:03 PM

They are both quality products when it comes time to buy more oil the one with the cheaper price gets the wink. Right now its Mobil at $22.88.

At a second glance its Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT $19.88.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They are both quality products when it comes time to buy more oil the one with the cheaper price gets the wink. Right now its Mobil at $22.88.

At a second glance its Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT $19.88.

Well they just keep popping up this morning.
Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 I'd run that in a heart beat in my Toyota for summer oil.

Wonder if Havoline has a rebate on that?

Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 10:49 PM

Whichever is on sale at the better price smile

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/05/17 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 Got three Jugs!

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Havoline ProDS Synthetic Motor Oil 10W30 $16.73 Got three Jugs!

By the way its GM’sdexos1™ Gen 2 specification3.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 01:38 AM

Havoline is a great oil, no doubt about that. A correction though on your statement, the Pro DS 0w-20 and 5w-30 grades are dexos gen2 certified. The other grades do not carry that cert according to their website. Do your jugs have the gen2 logo on them?

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=490665&docFormat=PDF

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Havoline is a great oil, no doubt about that. A correction though on your statement, the Pro DS 0w-20 and 5w-30 grades are dexos gen2 certified. The other grades do not carry that cert according to their website. Do your jugs have the gen2 logo on them?

https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=490665&docFormat=PDF

Well I tell you when they get here on Friday. Its not a deal breaker at $16.73 a jug delivered.
That will be my summer oil for the Toyota next spring.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:02 AM

Either way, it's good oil. Havoline doesn't get much play here on BITOG. Much of that is because WalMart doesn't carry it and they don't advertise like some of the others do. Chevron is no slouch when it come to oil and other products

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:03 AM

Either way, it's good oil. Havoline doesn't get much play here on BITOG. Much of that is because WalMart doesn't carry it and they don't advertise like some of the others do. Chevron is no slouch when it come to oil and other products

But I did get this from Wally World!

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:07 AM

Online. They don't carry it on the shelves. A lot of members here like to shop in person.
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:07 AM

Well in Washington state I am sure it could be there. Here on the east coast it has not made an appearance yet.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:13 AM

Also you can get the Pro DS 0w-20 for $5.46 a qt at WM online or thru Jet.com which is the same thing. That price is not as competitive as the other brands in the more popular grades. Why no 5 quart jugs? Chevron is vague when asked that question.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:17 AM

This is that same quandary we discussed before bbhero. Availability and especially in the 5 quart jugs. They sell 10w-30 in the jug but the more popular 0w-20 or 5w-30 are just by quarts. That price that JJ got his for would be a knockout price for the popular grades.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/06/17 02:27 AM

This is that same quandary we discussed before bbhero. Availability and especially in the 5 quart jugs. They sell 10w-30 in the jug but the more popular 0w-20 or 5w-30 are just by quarts. That price that JJ got his for would be a knockout price for the popular grades.

Yes I thought that was a knock out price. I was at my local Wally World last week and they had no Havoline on the self. This was an online order. Its the best price I've gotten this year on a 5 quart Jug of full synthetic. My stash is full to the brim now.
Posted By: CrackyWainwright

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/07/17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Castrol comes in sweet golden bottles and, as we all know, gold is better than silver.

It's crazy, but that's my thought as well. I use Castrol Edge EP in three vehicles, and I love the gold 5-quart jugs.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/07/17 06:46 PM

PP should listen - they must have a patent on the ugly-jug

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 09/08/17 08:59 PM

You were correct the Havoline oil got here today and it is not Dexos certified. But I think since my Corolla has no Dexos require its going to live with it next spring we'll find out.
Posted By: Spdfrk1990

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 02/17/18 02:00 PM

I was trying to decide between the same 2 oils for my 18 Colorado Z71 3.6l. I have been using castrol for awhile with no issues in other vehicles. The gold bottle castrol does not have the dexos cert though and the mobil 1 EP does. To use castrol I would prob be safer using the black bottle since it has the dexos cert but how does that compare to the M1?
Posted By: wemay

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 02/18/18 10:52 AM

I would go with the cheaper one. Both great oils.

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 02/18/18 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
I was trying to decide between the same 2 oils for my 18 Colorado Z71 3.6l. I have been using castrol for awhile with no issues in other vehicles. The gold bottle castrol does not have the dexos cert though and the mobil 1 EP does. To use castrol I would prob be safer using the black bottle since it has the dexos cert but how does that compare to the M1?

How is the owners manual spelled out on Dexos ? GM can be fairly “thou shall” on Dexos …
Posted By: Cheburashka

Re: Mobil 1 EP vs Castrol Edge EP - 02/06/20 09:52 PM

What is main difference Mobil 1 EP 0w20 has labele protect 15k while Castrol EP 20k ?
Does that mean Castrol EP better oil ? More added pack??
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy