Pennzoil platinum 5w-30 Euro L ? Dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle : 2014 Buick Regal 2.0T : few questions : 1. Can I use this oil or does GM require only using Dexos 1 in a gas engine? 2. Has this oil passed any of the new lspi testing? : 3. Being C3 rated is the hths 3.5 > ? : 4. I believe this is a low saps oil, can it handle a 5k oci in a turbo application (60% hwy) ? Thanks.

dexos2 is the spec for gas (and diesel) engines in Europe, and since the Regal is a German car, it will probably be just fine for the OCI suggested by the OLM
smile.gif

Dexos 2 is the spec oil for that engine in that car and its fine for 5K. I wouldn't even consider running lower HTHS Dexos 1 oil, these thiner oils are only for US fuel economy standards and offer only a minimum level engine protection in high output engines but enough to get through warranty.

I've been looking for a Dexos approved oil with a higher hths than the usual 3.0 / 3.1 : Mobil 1 10w-30HM is great but not dexos approved. Is this oil formulated to pass the new lspi testing ?

dexos2 is distinct from dexos1. If it's still under warranty, dexos1 would be the oil GM would recommend you use. dexos1 Gen 2 is reformulated for the LSPI business, apparently. I'm sure dexos2 would work just fine, but as already noted, watch your OCIs (and you'll be spending more on oil based on availability and container size), and it isn't the "exact" oil you're supposed to use. However, it would certainly work.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I've been looking for a Dexos approved oil with a higher hths than the usual 3.0 / 3.1 : Mobil 1 10w-30HM is great but not dexos approved. Is this oil formulated to pass the new lspi testing ?
The requirements of Dexos1 proably wouldn't allow for higher HTHS numbers. None of M1HM doesn't
carry the dexos, so it likely it doesn't pass the new lspi testing. I would say don't worry about the HTHS number and get something with DEXOS1 Gen 2 and Honda HT-6.

Dexos2 is very close to a Euro C3 oil with high HTHS (> 3.5 cP) and mid-SAPS. It should be fine for 5k miles and in Australia the smaller GM turbo engines, such as the Cruze 1.4 iTi and 1.6 iTi are specc'd Dexos2 by GM Australia.

Yes Dexos2 & C3 oils are suitable for both petrol (gas) and light duty diesel engines. It's Dexos1-Generaion2 that addresses LSPI.

When I enquired about using the low HTHS (~ 3.1 cP) Dexos1 oil in a Cruze 1.4 L & 1.6 L Turbo in Australia, I was told GM-Australia insisted that only the Dexos2 oil was used.

Sorry I have no knowledge of what GM-Homeland say to use in your 2.0 L Turbo. I feel confident it will be fine mechanically, but I don't know about their warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back