Redline 0w20 OCI for 08 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually follow the MM on my dash for OCI. It usually works out to 7-8k. I just put some 0w20 Redline in my 08 Pilot and was wondering what I should/could push the OCI to? Maybe Ill get it analyzed at 8k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
When you do the analysis at 8K, you'll find you can go longer.

Maybe Ill analyze at 10k

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
Originally Posted By: Linctex
When you do the analysis at 8K, you'll find you can go longer.

Maybe Ill analyze at 10k

10k sounds like a good plan. Keep in mind that TBN use is not linear....

Is this a VCM 3.5 ?
If it is, 5K mile OCI is what I would run regardless of brand.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3213814/New_Honda_Pilot:_3.5_VCM:_What

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
5K mile OCI is what I would run regardless of brand.

Following that logic....... just use the very cheapest brand of oil available anywhere that meets minimum spec, and change it at 5K.

I personally think redline is good for far, far longer. Changing it early is a waste of $$$$$

The main reason that I chose this oil was it uses high quality base oils and the noack value (9%) is lower than any other 0w20 I have seen specs on. Yes it is an expensive oil, we all know this. I could have used a cheap oil but I wanted to see how this top tier oil would perform. Many would argue that Redline after 8k of use is probably still better than most of the stuff you buy brand new off the shelf. It should be too as it cost more than twice as much as your "full synthetics" over the counter.

My engine does consume a little oil. I want to see how this oil lasts compared to its usual diet of 5w30 M1 Synthetic which I was having to add about a qt every 8k (not a strange phenomenon for the Honda J35 motor).

Last edited:
There is a member here that has 62,000 miles on AmsOil (with by-pass filtration). But he does UOA's on schedule and tops off when he changes filter media.

Redline can prolly do the same in the same circumstances. But you have to approach this with facts and data. Just guessing will not do it. We can all spout off a good guess ...

Make a plan and see it through. You may get way more than 12K out of that oil, but you'll need data to do it safely
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back