Honda dealers using synth blend or full synth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has a 2015 Honda CRV. Does it take the 0w20 synthetic blend or fully synthetic? We have been taking advantage of the free dealership oil changes, and I noticed that the oil level was 3/4 of a quart low (3000 miles since last change). I'm trying to be consistent with what's in the crankcase to see if there is an oil consumption issue or not. I purchased a couple synthetic blend quarts from the dealership, and I was given conflicting information on which one the car receives. The parts counter guy swears that all of the cars except the "new" ones get blend while the service department says the 2015 gets full synthetic. The oil application chart on the parts counter showed the 2012 or 2013 and up gets full synthetic. Our recent oil change receipt also does not specify which one was used. Again, I know fully synthetic will work and is the best, but I'm just trying to get a consistent oil consumption reading over then next few thousand miles. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are many better choices out there than HGMO. Most of them available at Walmart. Just take your pick.

The only way to know for sure what is going in your engine is to change the oil yourself. There are a multitude of good synthetic oils to be had at WM or your favorite parts store.

Trust me, I know there are better choices, but I'd like to add the same oil that's in it now to do a consumption test. It's to the point that it needs oil added, and I don't have the time to change it myself.

Last edited:
0w20 is available as both a blend & syn. For those free oil changes, your dealer is probably using a bulk blend. I haven't been to one Honda dealer that actually uses HGMO.

I've never been a fan of mixing oil, any reason I couldn't put some of the HGMO synthetic blend or even Mobil 1 in to get the level up some?

Last edited:
I would go right to the source and that is not the service advisor but the oil change guy himself ( or herself or itself). That person will point to the barrel you are getting your change done from. I'll go along with the other and say it's a generic branded synthetic blend. "Free" oil changes will not include expensive oil.

For me, it's a red flag if the dealership has a hard time figuring out which oil goes into your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
I've never been a fan of mixing oil, any reason I couldn't put some of the HGMO synthetic blend or even Mobil 1 in to get the level up some?

There's a chance the tech didn't fill to the full mark when he/she did the oil change and you don't have a consumption issue at all. But I agree that the dealer being unsure about what oil your car uses is worrisome.

Top it off with whatever 0w20 you have on hand and continue to monitor the level. Remember that according to Honda, 1 qt per 1k miles is "acceptable" usage.

Last edited:
Any 0W oil added will still give you a sump full of oil that meets that qualification, although the oil is also allowed to slip to a 5W in service while still meeting the grade spec.
Some K24s use oil while most don't. The DI engine is a development of this 2003 debut design. Our '12 goes through about half a quart in an 8K OCI which I can live with, but then I know exactly how much went in and exactly how much comes out since I do the changes myself.
You might be ahead finding the twenty minutes or so a couple of times each year to DIY your drains.
That way, you'll have a better handle on whether this engine is really using oil or not.
In any event, if your car is actually using a quart in 4K, then Honda will tell you this is normal consumption and will not warranty any work to correct it.
Also, break-in may be critical with these engines, but that horse has long fled the barn.

If oil change by someone other than yourself then before you leave the place make sure dipstick is pushed in all the way and check the oil level and color. Then can even check the level next day on cold engine.
Make sure olm is set to 100%.

Last edited:
On a Honda, the MM is either reset to 100% or it isn't reset at all.
There is no in between.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Just assume they used the cheaper option for a freebie oil change.

Yesterday talked to a young lady who has a 2012 accord; she was asking about the $1400 service the dealership wanted to do @ 60K miles. Dug into that story and she will be getting me the details of what that involves; I suggested her money is more well spent elsewhere, of course, giving her some recommendations.

Looks like the dealer doing OC and putting a "next oil change @ xK miles" stickers in the windshield; WT.... She said her OCI is about every 3 months.

I'm thinking they are doing dino changes @ 3 or 5K; this is the DEALER; cars specs 0w-20

Nice.

I will be instructing her about the MM.

A $1.4K service on a 60K 5 YO car?
$.14K would be more like it.
I pity those who rely upon dealers for service. Unless you actually know something, you may very well get badly hosed.

I did an intervention and am gathering details; The cost included new tires and AF and CAB.

Probably a D+F of the transmission; good chance she is getting robbed.

She is not relying on dealers hopefully moving forward. I intend on changing that.

Last edited:
My mother has always insisted on using Honda dealerships for service. There is no telling what she has paid during the maintenance intervals, but she now has over 300,000 miles on her Accord with no major repairs. I'm not saying Honda does anything magical, but it makes her feel better.

My 85 year aunt old takes her 02 Accord into the dealer for oil changes every 6 months. Doesn't put many miles on during that time. I think the car has about 70k miles on it and she purchased it new. She did have the dealer to the timing belt recently and someone stole the CC off of it, new tires(2 at a time), probably a battery. She's very frugal so when anything pops that's a larger expense like the things I mentioned I normally hear about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back