Conventional Oil to Synthetic Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for a friend of mine who has a 2009 Miata with 45000 miles and he would like to switch from conventional to synthetic oil. Any problem ?

You can let your "friend" know it's fine.

This is BITOG; no one will judge you for your Miata.
Let that freak flag fly!
banana2.gif

I've gone from worrying about this stuff, to only caring that there's actually oil in the engine.
They all work.
Although.....the Castrol Magnatec 0w20 is being loved by the CR-V currently. The starts are quicker.

Originally Posted By: yankees1
Posting for a friend of mine who has a 2009 Miata with 45000 miles and he would like to switch from conventional to synthetic oil. Any problem ?

No problem at all I switched my 2004 Toyota Corolla S over at 66K not a problem.

I switched my 2002 Lincoln from conventional 5w-20 to Formula Shell synthetic at 45K miles. I did notice a bit of oil usage though. That was corrected when I went to a 5w-30 PP synthetic.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Let that freak flag fly!
banana2.gif

Sorry, not my Miata ! I have two corvettes, one Suburban, one Mercedes and a S-10 !!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Let that freak flag fly!
banana2.gif

Sorry, not my Miata ! I have two corvettes, one Suburban, one Mercedes and a S-10 !!
smile.gif

Of course
wink.gif

I get it
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Does your friend like that miata
smile.gif

Just kidding!
Actually, it is my friend's son who owns the Miata . I didn't know that owning a Miata was such a bad thing ! :)I guess I better change friends !

smile.gif

Just kidding!
Actually, it is my friend's son who owns the Miata . I didn't know that owning a Miata was such a bad thing ! :)I guess I better change friends !

I love Miata's.

Can't imagine why someone would not like them.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I've gone from worrying about this stuff, to only caring that there's actually oil in the engine.
They all work.
Although.....the Castrol Magnatec 0w20 is being loved by the CR-V currently. The starts are quicker.

Quicker than with what?

I run M1.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
smile.gif

Just kidding!

I love Miata's.

Can't imagine why someone would not like them.

Cause they don't come in a hard top GT version like the old MGB-GT. If they did, I'd be all over one.

Still looking for a 1975 Celica GT fast back in primo shape.

Add a Mustang II 5.0 V8 and the Miata GT Hard top (if they made one) and you'd have it all.

Cruising (Toy), straight line (blown 5.8 in the Mustang II
laugh.gif
), and Miata GT for back road crusin
laugh.gif

I just like steel roofs over my head as I have been known to turn one upside down from time to time ...

Last edited:

Well, MacGruber and Corky Romano drove Miatas. Need I say more?
The image hasn't been friendly to Miata drivers. I don't judge. Whatever orientation your ... er... ahem... "friend" is, there's nothing wrong with that.
MacGruberMiata.jpg

3052cdfebc45341966b35d1c80f83eef.jpg

As for your question, look at it this way: There are partial-synthetics on the market, good ones. In there is mixing of GroupII and GroupIII, known to be compatible. Maybe tell Corky --- or your friend's son --- to start with a partial-synthetic like Pennzoil Gold at Walmart first and see how it goes. Then switch to a full synthetic later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back