PP or M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating "trying" PP 0w20 but may try M1 0w20.

What says the BITOG faithful. Would go 7,500 then UOA to see if 10k is doable

You don't like Pennzoil because they denied your rebate submittals. So go with the other one.

Plus a few weeks ago you started this thread:

Originally Posted By: car51
Wondering what the BITOG faithful has to say on this matter

Changing the 09' Camry's oil tomorrow. Will use oversize STP XL-3600 oil filter. Oils I have on hand are:

Castrol GTX "super clean" 5w20, was $16.27-$3.00 manufacturer coupon I used today at Wal Mart

Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Valvoline 5w30 Synpower
Mobil 1 5w30: I gave to the brother for his Saab suv

Thanks gentlemen in advance

It seems like every month you ask us what we would do.

Pennzoil Platinum of course
wink.gif
Or maybe give the mysterious QSUD 0W20 a go
laugh.gif

I'd buy based upon which jug size and price is right for you, but I think you guys get 5 quarts no matter what. Mobil makes us suffer up here with weird jug sizes, at least for my sump sizes.
wink.gif

M1 AFE looks to have a better basestock blend with better cold end numbers and lower NOACK, according to the PQIA VOA numbers. The MSDS also shows significant Grp IV content.
Either would be a perfectly good oil in real world use and I've used plenty of both in various grades.
Wait until August and the M1 MIR should be back, making it even cheaper than PP with the current MIR.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You don't like Pennzoil because they denied your rebate submittals. So go with the other one.

Plus a few weeks ago you started this thread:

Originally Posted By: car51
Wondering what the BITOG faithful has to say on this matter

Changing the 09' Camry's oil tomorrow. Will use oversize STP XL-3600 oil filter. Oils I have on hand are:

Castrol GTX "super clean" 5w20, was $16.27-$3.00 manufacturer coupon I used today at Wal Mart

Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Valvoline 5w30 Synpower
Mobil 1 5w30: I gave to the brother for his Saab suv

Thanks gentlemen in advance

It seems like every month you ask us what we would do.

Easy there Matt
wink.gif

I don't hate PP as I actually called 4 times and finally got my QSGB rebate. I did in fact nab a jug of PP 0w20 today and so far my rebate is processing.

Does anyone know for a fact the PP NOACK?

If it's a toss up, how about supporting the American company?

PS: XOM honored my rebate submissions, one from WalMart and one from Costco (surprise).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
If you only plan on going 7,500 miles on the oil, I'd say either of those is overkill, IMHO.

I'm thinking of doing 7,500 miles then UOA to see if I can go 10k on PP

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
If it's a toss up, how about supporting the American company?

PS: XOM honored my rebate submissions, one from WalMart and one from Costco (surprise).

I'm not totally sure I understand about the American company; Valvoline comes to mind though

Chevron is American isn't it? I have been using their Chevron Supreme oil. One it is a good oil. Two it is American.

Exxon-Mobil is an American company. Shell is not. So, for example, Shell's new GTL basestocks are made in Qatar. Is XOM international in scope? Of course but when it's all said and done, the profits trickle back to Texas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Use Mobil1 if you enjoy high iron UOA's.

Word
Did you just +1 yourself?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Exxon-Mobil is an American company. Shell is not. So, for example, Shell's new GTL basestocks are made in Qatar. Is XOM international in scope? Of course but when it's all said and done, the profits trickle back to Texas.

I'm sure XOM gets stocks from all over the world, same as Shell, Chevron and the rest.

Car51, how about M1 0w30 AFE? Has some room for it to shear down over a long run and still be above (or within range) of the starting spec of a 0w20. Back in the early 2000's we used to run the 0w30 AFE in my father's then new 1999 Dodge Ram Sport. Not sure if it's still available or not. If I had to pick an oil that supports a small US blender it'd be a Warren brand or sub brand (Mag 1 or others) or the MileSYN from up in NY their SXR has a nice dose of boron in it too. I have two cases that I got when it was cheap on Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back