60wt drag race oil in my corvette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys been lurking awhile but I'm getting some vacation time here so hoping to get my new 2017 grand sport vette in January. I want to make sure I get the most horse power obviously so my buddy who does top fuel racing recommended i look into 60wt dragster oil to max out horse power. I don't care about longevity at all i burn through these toys quickly but any recommendations on high performance dragster oil would be appreciated. I'm a mechanically minded guy but never thought to look into oil for any real reason just change it usually at the dealership. Thanks

well highly unlikely you will max out horsepower on 60wt dragster oil. Use what the factory recommends for track use.
Which i think at one time was mobil 1 0w40 ????.

Last edited:
unless you're routinely exceeding 270 degrees F Oil temp don't bother. If all you care about is power and not longevity just use as thick of oil you need to keep it together, otherwise you are just wasting power with increased parasitic drag.

Isn't the recommendation for track or racing use 15w-50? I don't think it's 60 grade. Would agree that for a few runs at the drag strip a 30/40 grade should be enough. But the manual or mfg should have guidance on what grade for which use.

If you plan on seeing oil temps of 280-315 deg F, then the 50 grade works.

2017 Corvette Track plan

Recommends changing the oil before and after a day of track use.

Stick with dealership oil change habit in warranty - the 60 will not produce more power - prolly a bit of parasitic HP loss if anything.

Last edited:
60wt oil in Illinois in January...
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: 777Pilot
Hi guys been lurking awhile but I'm getting some vacation time here so hoping to get my new 2017 grand sport vette in January. I want to make sure I get the most horse power obviously so my buddy who does top fuel racing recommended i look into 60wt dragster oil to max out horse power. I don't care about longevity at all i burn through these toys quickly but any recommendations on high performance dragster oil would be appreciated. I'm a mechanically minded guy but never thought to look into oil for any real reason just change it usually at the dealership. Thanks
You don't have a top fuel drag engine in your Corvette. Your buddy's advice would LOSE you HP, not gain it. Stick with the factory fill.

I dont recommenced the 60 wt... very hard on the oil pump drive ears on the snout of the crankshaft. extensive testing on the dyno here the speed shop: 5w-50 would be a better choice under racing conditions.

The most power would come from the thinnest oil that still maintains minimum oil pressure, but do you really need another 5 hp? Use a European 0w40 if you want more protection than the factory 5w30. The 15W50 is over kill for anything short of track use

Years ago when I would track my Honda I would notice more power gain from 5w30 synthetic over running 15w50 synthetic also my track times were better with the lighter oil. It was deffenetly parasitic power loss from running the heavy oil.

Actually I believe I read years ago that dragsters need to run 60 and 70 weight oil since they have lots of fuel blow by and also the fuel is corrosive and destroys the oil fast? Your Corvette will have neither of those problems.

Originally Posted By: buck91
How do you not care about longevity? Are you leasing short term?

What he meant to say was I have more money than you can shake a stick at. But I don't know anyone bright enough to have that kind of f you money, but be dumb enough to think that a 60wt oil is going to make HP so I say [censored] to the OP's original post.

NO NO NO NO! Do not use Straight 60 in your corvette, it will lose a lot of horsepower, GM recomends Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use, and 5W-30 for normal driving so just stick to that!.

If you've got a marine shop near you, go and grab an anchor, and tie it to your diff centre.

Running SAE60 will have a similar effect, and just waste your power.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Mobil 1 15W-50 for track use.

Yes M1 15W-50 is a much better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back