Driving with two year old oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I was wondering, if I was going to buy a car (in actuality it is a motorcycle I am looking at but the same applies I believe) that has been sitting for 2 or more years. Would it be detremental to the engine if I drove it 100 miles home and then performed an oil change? Especially if the engine is relatively new? (has around 200 miles on it) I really want to get the most out of this engine.

Thank you!

I doubt it would hurt the engine at all.

But if it was me, I'd find somewhere to perform an oil change with fresh oil.

I dont really trust anyone to change the oil except me. Lots of shops will over fill the crankcase or overtighten and strip the bolt or wont use the oil I payed for. Additionally I would like to salavge the old oil and send it to blackstone for analysis

Last edited:
No worries, as long as the level is fine just replace it at sometime in the near future.

Ride it home. How many miles are on the current fill? Is it clean and fresh looking on the sight glass or dip stick on white paper? If it's just been sitting, that's the same as being in the bottle almost. No worries
smile.gif

Just change the oil. Better to do it before driving 100 miles home than after. Who knows what they put in there before? Who knows how old the oil really is? I don't think sending a sample to Blackstone would be all that helpful because you really don't know the OCI, the previous use, and the oil itself.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Ride it home. How many miles are on the current fill? Is it clean and fresh looking on the sight glass or dip stick on white paper? If it's just been sitting, that's the same as being in the bottle almost. No worries
smile.gif

200 miles. It is a pretty much a brand new motorcycle. Still has the factory oil from 2014 (motorcycles go by the actual year unlike cars)

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Just change the oil. Better to do it before driving 100 miles home than after. Who knows what they put in there before? Who knows how old the oil really is? I don't think sending a sample to Blackstone would be all that helpful because you really don't know the OCI, the previous use, and the oil itself.

The bike was manufactured March of 2014 and has 200 miles on it. So the very oldest the oil can be is 2 years and 3 months

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Ride it home, unless the oil looks funky. It will not harm anything
smile.gif

Ill check it out in person and see tomorrow. Good thing about this bike is there is a sigjt glass instead of a dipstick so I can get a real good look at the oil. Thanks everyone!

Another hundred miles on the FF won't do any harm.
Whatever harm might have been done was done with a number of abusive test rides and would have nothing to do with the oil.
Ride it home and change it in the comfort and convenience of your own garage.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Another hundred miles on the FF won't do any harm.

Ride it home and change it in the comfort and convenience of your own garage.

+1.......done it with several vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dankr6
The bike was manufactured March of 2014 and has 200 miles on it. So the very oldest the oil can be is 2 years and 3 months

2 yr old/200 mile oil on a 200 mile bike. That's different. Carry on.

Originally Posted By: hpb
I'd ride it, and change when I arrived home, while everything is still nice and warm. What sort of bike?

2014 Ducati 1199

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back