Dexos1 Approved Synthetic High Mileage Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are all of the Dexos1 High Mileage oils and which do you think is best?

Valvoline Maxlife (both full synthetic and blend) and Castrol Edge High Mileage (full synthetic) are Dexos1 approved. Maxlife seems to be universally agreed to be a good product capable of stipping/reducing leaks. The Edge HM is new, does anybody have experience with it?

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and Mobil1 High Mileage appear to not be Dexos1 approved.

Isnt there a seal swell/conditioner you can add to your fav oil instead of paying $$$ extra for HM oils? Not saying they are bad - Pennzoil bronze bottle is one of the best oils ive run - (pre magnetic SS) Liked it better than dexos SS by far. but maybe that way you can have you khaki and eat it x2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asker123
Do high mileage oil help in reducing the oil consumption caused by oil burning or they just help reduce leaking?
If you're referring to MaxLife, it has helped me with BOTH. It's not a wonder oil, but it does help on older high mileage engines.

Here is a link to Dexos1 approved oils. Should be able to search the list for licensed HM oils if concerned. I however, would not have any issue running PPHM or M1HM in any vehicle that originally specified Dexos1 as I feel those two would easily meet the requirements.

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

Also, here is the differences between Dexos1 and GF-5 oils. Dexos has a few items that are more stringent and why you don't see any straight conventional Dexos1 oils. Likely the cold flow and volatility requirements are why. My guess is this is to help DI engines which can be brutal on oil.

Features & Benfits
 Compared to GF-5, the dexos™ weighted piston deposit (WPD) limit has been
increased from 4.0 to 4.5. This translates to „cleaner pistons‟ and better engine
performance. How? Piston deposits can form behind and around piston rings causing
the rings to stick and be “sluggish”. Full compression does not occur resulting in
increased emissions, decreased fuel economy and decreased engine performance
overall.

 The dexos™ specification includes an aeration test on new and used oil. No such test
is included in the next generation, GF-5 industry specification. Sufficient aeration
control is a key criteria when the motor oil also functions as a hydraulic fluid, which
is the case in GM engines designed with Variable Valve Timing. Variable Valve
Timing (also referred to as cam phasing) is an increasingly common design in GM
engines to improve fuel efficiency.

 dexos™ exhibits improved oxidation and wear performance:
o Improved oxidation means the oil better resists thickening. As an oil becomes
more viscous (or thickens), fuel economy is reduced. Oil thickening could
lead to problems in pumping the oil through the lubricating passages of the
engine resulting in engine damage.

 The dexos™ specification includes a test for low-temperature pumpability. This sort
of test is not currently included in the next generation industry specification.
Although generally not an issue in warmer climates, if an oil becomes too viscous in
colder temperatures, adequate lubrication may not occur resulting in increased wear
and in severe cases, engine failure.

 Oils meeting the dexos™ specification have more stringent volatility requirements
than the next generation GF-5 industry specification, meaning that the amount of oil
volatilized (or consumed during use) is lower. This performance requirement was put
in place to limit oil consumption over extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: asker123
Do high mileage oil help in reducing the oil consumption caused by oil burning or they just help reduce leaking?
If you're referring to MaxLife, it has helped me with BOTH. It's not a wonder oil, but it does help on older high mileage engines.

Which maxlife you used? full synthetic or blend?
Here in Canada I didn't see Full synthetic version on shelfs not atlest on Walmar tor Canadian Tire...I am running mobil 1 5w20 for last 7 OCIs ( 3.5 years) and now hesitant shifting back to conventional or synthetic blend even if car is burning oil.

but I like the name "Maxlife" .. if it guarantees maximum life than I shouldn't be hesitant even if it is synthetic blend...

There's probably a good chance that loaner car is not using a dexos oil...who knows where the rental car company gets their oil changes...or how often...or how badly that car has been pounded.

I have a friend who buys loaner cars, I have no idea why. He says, whenever I drive a loaner car I drive it responsibly. And I say...80% of the people who drove it probably did, but it's the other 20% who beat the ever loving [censored] out of the thing for the entire time they rented it that would worry me. Because that most certainly happens.

otherwise a nice driving car, 2014 LT..I told them I was concerned and had to do a 600mi. trip, they said don't worry..I made the trip but geez is all Dexos oil like that? peanut
butter?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
...geez is all Dexos oil like that? peanut
butter?

Of course not, that's obviously from neglect. Even the lowest grade oils aren't "peanut butter" if proper OCI's are used.

But ya, the whole point of this thread was that I was toying with the idea of trying a High Mileage Dexos1 approved oil in hopes that it might help stop a leak (3 drips a week on garage floor) on my '10 Traverse's timing chain cover.

Was mentioned the differences between GF-5 and dexos1, what got left out was ethanol emulsion. GF-5 walks all over dexos1 in that regard, which seems strange since GM is always touting they're a proponent of ethanol use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back