Interesting observation on Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a few cars in my stall that I maintain, and now they have all had Pennzoil Ultra in them a couple times at least per engine. Various grades (5w30, 5w20, 0w40) and different vehicles with mileages ranging from 34k miles to 165k miles. One thing I noticed with all the vehicles is when I change the oil at 5k mile OCI - it always comes out dark red. Fuel dilution? Maybe, but the Ultra is the only oil that does it. No other oil (Mobil 1, Valvoline Maxlife FS, Castrol Edge) has ever done it. All other oils were either caramel color or dark dark brown, almost black. So why do you think Ultra becomes dark red instead of brownish like other oils? It just grinds my gears a bit hehe. And again - different viscosities, different vehicles, same used oil color after 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
It's cleaning up residue from other base oil types.
Typically, one group type will clean up after the other I have observed.

One of my cars is on it's 3rd OCI with pennzoil ultra... still cleaning up?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think it's the only one created from natural gas right?

Only one car has the natural gas formula, all other cars got old formula in the sump, until I use it up. And then all cars will have natural gas PurePlus formula.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Do you have any pictures?

Do not unfortunately, but will try to take some next oil change. It looks dark red as it drains out when the light shines through it. Other oils look brownish black with the same light applied. Hopefully a camera will be able to show it.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Do you have any pictures of the oil on the dipstick, or paper towel or a small sample?

As far as dipstick - it looks normal and on white paper towel it looks somewhat caramel color, but when it drains out - looks dark red. Weird, but a fact...

I noticed the red colour, but with different oils.

When I used Castrol, shortly after an oil change the oil on the dipstick was always golden brown.

I switched to M1, and shortly after an oil change the oil on the dipstick has that reddish colour to it.

I don't know, but you're basing this on how it looks as it drains out of the pan? I imagine that given the time of day, the sun's position in the sky, cloud cover, and several other factors could influence how the oil looks as it drains out. Unless you change your oil in a controlled environment, then my theory is null and void.

Color like you mentioned usually means varnish is being cleaned up, as Trav and others mentioned.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
The GTL oils seems to contain a 50ppm of moly. Looking at this moly stuff in the lab it is very red.

Interesting.

Both Ultra and M1 0w40 have a proven ability in removing varnish and deposits. You can see the redness of the oil diminish as the engine gets cleaner.
That's not to say other viscosity and brands dont have this ability but I have seen these do a great job with no additional additives.

10 years ago I didn't see any oils cleaning like this and additives were the only route.
Cleaning is slow, around 20K or 2 years from what I can tell and heavy sludge or deposits is still best removed by manually cleaning but yes they do clean well and do remove varnish.

I guess it's disolved varnish then. I got tons of varnish and sludge in this engine, so it is possible. As far as lighting - I've used an LED flashlight everytime to confirm the color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back