Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted awhile back I was going to try the Microgreen filters for extended OCI backed up by UOA's every filter change on a 2014 Mitsu Outlander Sport 2L CVT- I have two of these and am very familiar with them at this point.

I was running 5w20 CM in both. The one here was using a M1 filter and the other a Fram Ultra.

Three weeks ago I switched over to the MG filter with Total Quartz 900 Future because I had a case of it laying around. It is 0w20 weight and not like the CM at 5w20.

I understand the 5w30 crowd here say you lose hardly any MPG's between a 5w20 and 5w30.
I use 5w30CM in truck applications as well.

Mitsu says use 0w20 as a standard but other weights are acceptable if it's not available in your area.

After about 3 weeks I am seeing a 14% + gain in MPG with the Total and MG combo. This is over 1600 miles ( 75% hwy-25% city average)
The factory fill was 0w20 and I never regained the MPG economy I got with that until now.
I'm actually a few % above the factory fill spec in MPG currently.

There were suggestions that CM may cause HP losses or friction because of its chemical makeup. Heated conversations of course.
Its subjective but I have two specimens here and the 0w20 revs easier, starts easier and at the end of the week the avg MPG is much better.

I do the same trips, use the same gas, and no other parts were replaced and the tire pressure has not been adjusted for 3 months or so.

Is the 0w20 the sole reason for the gains or is it a combo effect of the CM in the 5w20 not so hot of a mpg type oil? I wouldn't think a filter plays any role in this.

Any ideas?

thanks!
BTW
The other Mitsu still has 5w20CM in it and its MPG was the same as the other before the switch to 0w20.

Not sure how many miles you have on it before the switch, but MPG will increase as the vehicle breaks in.
Not to mention it will be difficult to compare 2 vehicles as there is really no way to make everything exactly the same with both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Not sure how many miles you have on it before the switch, but MPG will increase as the vehicle breaks in.
Not to mention it will be difficult to compare 2 vehicles as there is really no way to make everything exactly the same with both.
Warmer weather means better mpg.

When I first bought both Fords I am driving now I used M1 5-30. After a couple of OCs I switched to M1 0-20AFE. I saw about 1 MPG gain on interstate driving.

Last edited:
If I read your post correctly you are claiming a 14+% gain in fuel economy by going from a 5W-20 to a 0W-20? Is that what you're saying?

Only if it is perpetually -35 there and you're never letting the vehicle warm up. Otherwise the operational viscosity of both oils is going to be very similar.

Whether or not you hit the head before leaving the house is probably going to make more difference than the oil.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I posted awhile back I was going to try the Microgreen filters for extended OCI backed up by UOA's every filter change on a 2014 Mitsu Outlander Sport 2L CVT- I have two of these and am very familiar with them at this point.

I was running 5w20 CM in both. The one here was using a M1 filter and the other a Fram Ultra.

Three weeks ago I switched over to the MG filter with Total Quartz 900 Future because I had a case of it laying around. It is 0w20 weight and not like the CM at 5w20.

I understand the 5w30 crowd here say you lose hardly any MPG's between a 5w20 and 5w30.
I use 5w30CM in truck applications as well.

Mitsu says use 0w20 as a standard but other weights are acceptable if it's not available in your area.

After about 3 weeks I am seeing a 14% + gain in MPG with the Total and MG combo. This is over 1600 miles ( 75% hwy-25% city average)
The factory fill was 0w20 and I never regained the MPG economy I got with that until now.
I'm actually a few % above the factory fill spec in MPG currently.

There were suggestions that CM may cause HP losses or friction because of its chemical makeup. Heated conversations of course.
Its subjective but I have two specimens here and the 0w20 revs easier, starts easier and at the end of the week the avg MPG is much better.

I do the same trips, use the same gas, and no other parts were replaced and the tire pressure has not been adjusted for 3 months or so.

Is the 0w20 the sole reason for the gains or is it a combo effect of the CM in the 5w20 not so hot of a mpg type oil? I wouldn't think a filter plays any role in this.

Any ideas?

thanks!
BTW
The other Mitsu still has 5w20CM in it and its MPG was the same as the other before the switch to 0w20.

Quote:
Whether or not you hit the head before leaving the house is probably going to make more difference than the oil.

Agree
Quote:
If I read your post correctly you are claiming a 14+% gain in fuel economy by going from a 5W-20 to a 0W-20?

Doing some math...if the OP got 25 mpg before the OC, a 14% increase would see an additional
3.5 mpg. Not an outrageous claim, but again, there is no way to drive EXACTLY the same way every day. There are too many variables.
I can gain 5 mpg in my truck just by accelerating easier and coasting longer to a stop.
I think the gain is more driving habit than oil type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Doing some math...if the OP got 25 mpg before the OC, a 14% increase would see an additional 3.5 mpg. Not an outrageous claim, but again, there is no way to drive EXACTLY the same way every day. There are too many variables. I can gain 5 mpg in my truck just by accelerating easier and coasting longer to a stop. I think the gain is more driving habit than oil type.

Yes it is when the claim (as I understood it) was going from a 5W-20 to a 0W-20 and the difference was attributed to the oil.

You are correct about the variables though, no one can isolate the minute effect of oil in everyday driving.

I've always thought that the possibility of a small gain in MPG depends on the application more than specific grade of oil if you're using 0w-20, 5w-20, or 5w-30. Although anecdotal, that's been my experience...especially with my current small GDI engine whose instant read and current read MPG displays react in a more linear way with the thinner grade and generates a roughly 4% gain in highway mpg that goes away when 5w-30 is re-introduced. That may not be the case in a different vehicle independent if you're trying to control or not control for other variables.

Naturally, on here you're gonna get people who can't handle anything but a blanket statement or entertain the idea that going from 5w-30 back to 5w-20 will give you a greater than random chance MPG gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back