Home

Does full synthetic make your car run better ?

Posted By: Merkava_4

Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 12:51 AM

I'm always hearing comments like, "once you go synthetic, you'll never go back." Why? What am I missing? And then I'll read reviews on Amazon about Royal Purple and people will say things like, "my engine feels more lively now; the engine revs up quicker." Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? Because if it does, that would be a good reason for buying it. But if it doesn't and you're a guy like me who enjoys sliding under the car twice a year, then that would mean I'd have to cut back to once a year with synthetic and the thought of that is disheartening. I cherish my under-car time.
Posted By: 901Memphis

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 12:59 AM

Don't read reviews about butt dynos, problem solved.
Posted By: DragRace

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:00 AM

Yup,seen a car run faster down the 1/4 mile,a few tenths faster.
Changed oil to regular dino,car slowed down.This had been repeated by alot of people @ our track.
Posted By: expat

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:01 AM

Personally, I could not tell the difference, even in winter.

Getting under the car twice a year, to me, is a good thing. just to have a look around and wipe an oily rag over a few things :-)
Posted By: Quest

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:02 AM

I started with full syn during the late 80s, and that was the time with my Mazda B6 block would feel the difference between regular oil and full-syn.

Fast-forward to my wifey's 04 camry or my 06 fit: feels no difference between so-called "full syn" fancy boutique oils vs conventional oil at all...

Maybe my budt is feeling old/numb enough that budt dyno no longer feels the difference?

Q.
Posted By: beast3300

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:08 AM

No, I don't think one can feel a difference of synthetic, blend, conventional.
Posted By: DirtyMoe21

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:15 AM

Better starting in cold weather is all ive noticed.
Posted By: SilverC6

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:20 AM

Car seems to rev a little quicker with synthetic.
Posted By: Zaedock

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:21 AM

I had a chance to dyno test several syn/conventional lubes in a 355cid Chebby. No difference.

The only slight difference observed were changes in viscosity.
Posted By: max88

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:38 AM

The engine appeared (not too sure) to be a bit louder after switching from bulk dino to QSUD syn last year.

It's a bit quieter and more responsive after recent OC at 5938KM with identical QSUD syn (reusing filter). This is purely because new oil is better than used oil.
Posted By: jimbrewer

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:54 AM

Nah. Can't tell a thing. with these 5w-20 oils out there, how could there be a difference in revs, or hp? Had great luck with M-1 and 6K OCIs starting in 1984. 3k was the conventional 'conscientious' change interval back then.

This site and a couple of own used oil analysis has convinced me there are more productive areas to put my maintenance efforts than ultra-short drain intervals or ultra-premium synthetic oils.
Posted By: daves87rs

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 02:01 AM

Slightly better running in the winter, otherwise nothing...
Posted By: gathermewool

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21

In TX? You got jokes,huh?
Posted By: boxcartommie22

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 02:26 AM

I agree with ,dragrace, here at bandimere's we see it all the time synthetic oils 2 sec faster then conventional and 3.5 sec. with red line oils
Posted By: FetchFar

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 02:27 AM

Viscosity is the biggest single contributor to engine power, the lower the more power you get. Dino vs. synthetic is not even measurable diff.
Posted By: JSRT4

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 02:45 AM

Switching to Redline oil this weekend I've noticed that my engine valvetrain noise is quieter. I don't think anyone's butt dyno can measure 5 whp or less, and you aren't going to gain more than 5whp with an oil change where viscosity specs are maintained, so I would say you can't feel a difference.
Posted By: MileHigh18

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:00 AM

Been using PP after a love affair with PYB, and my engine has never been quieter or felt smoother. Does it rev faster? Haven't noticed that at all lol.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:04 AM

Link To Oil-engine-Horsepower Test video... shows a slight difference among synthetics, enough to win a race or not. Keep in mind that all 30 weight oils don't have the same viscosity, as variations are allowed and its still considered a 30, for example. I think the differences are mostly due to viscosity variations. Other effects are very small, although a GF-5 oil does have additional friction benefits over Euro-spec oils generally, since GF-5 demands greater friction reduction (more horsepower available). ....... This small additional power benefit only matters if you are, say, Helio Castroneves and you just lost the Indy 500 by 0.06 seconds, you wanted a bit more power.
Posted By: toneydoc

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:04 AM

No difference at all. They even burn the oils at the same rate.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
. Why? What am I missing? .... Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? ...

Synthetics produce less ring deposits, well known for that.
Posted By: Rolla07

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:40 AM

I dont even care..personally I run synthetic and change oil twice or three times a year..i guess im wasteful but for 25$ a jug of any good brand syn (m1, pu, pp) I could care less. I dont find any difference, for the negilgable benefit, im willing the negligable cost difference. Better cold starts...a bit better mileage (using 0w20)..i will keep using syn.
Posted By: Jaymus

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I had a chance to dyno test several syn/conventional lubes in a 355cid Chebby. No difference.

The only slight difference observed were changes in viscosity.

That's what I've seen, also. Except it was a friend's 144whp horsepower Honda.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I agree with ,dragrace, here at bandimere's we see it all the time synthetic oils 2 sec faster then conventional and 3.5 sec. with red line oils

Wow, 2 whole seconds from changing oil. I'm not even going to bring my car to the track anymore. I'll just use syn in my tow rig and beat Mustang's and Camaro's easily.
Posted By: RobbS

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 03:55 AM

YES. It makes my car run better, longer, very consistent. I have a Mustang with 300k+ miles and it's always had Mobil1 in it, it's entire life. The power is there, consistent, strong sounding. Keeps rippin' it as a sick V6!
-I use synthetic in every fluid. Always fresh too..: power steering, transmission, differential, engine, anything wet & slippery, I put Amsoil on it.

Motorcraft makes "best in the business" products too. oil filters, gear oil additive, gears, cables, tons of stuff ect..

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:03 AM

How can you compare when your car has never had conventional?
Posted By: raytseng

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:11 AM

The question you should ask is if you feel a difference at the end of your OCI say at 5000 or 7500 miles,

Did the oil change change wornout oil to new oil; or was the oil still good at the end of the interval?
Posted By: gregk24

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:11 AM

I suppose the only difference would be during the winter. I have nothing to base on in my Accord, its always had synthetic while I have owned it. Out of all the oils I have tried PU 5w20 and TGMO 0w20 have ran the best, quietest anyway, or at least thats how I feel. The Uplander is more noisy on synthetics, but I like the extra protection.
Posted By: johnachak

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:33 AM

I still change my oil twice a year even with synthetics (perish the thought) since we do a lot of short (<2miles) trips and the oil rarely gets to full temp more than once a month or so. The main difference for me is that with dino oil, I was able to tell when it was time for an oil change just by the sound of the engine. Now, OC due time sneaks up on me. With syn. I hear no difference during the OCI. Another reason is that cold weather starts are quicker (as in the starter spins quicker than with conventional in cold temps.) and the engine when first started is quieter.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:48 AM

I never notice a difference, myself, but I never do, either. wink
Posted By: Hot_Ajax

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:49 AM

1. Easier starts in winter, for sure. Engine ready to get to work a lot sooner, without a long warm up. Since the oil gets flowing faster, the engine runs quieter than it did when I had conventional oil

2. Been using Mobil 1 in my '09 Tacoma since the initial oil change. Now have 165,000 miles on it. OCI between 7500 and 9000 miles consistently. Never have any smoke upon start up and never have to add oil in between oil changes. I wouldn't call it a boutique oil. If Mercedes and Porsche use it out of the factory, you have to give that serious consideration. Germans know beer, beautiful women, and what makes a car go and last a long time.t

3. This has nothing to do with the way the vehicle runs, but the increased OCI is a great thing, especially between the end of fishing season in December and the start of the new one is April...

Posted By: Marco620

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 06:50 AM

Do the freezer test with one synthetic and one conventional and make a judgement of which pours better after being in freezer for 24+ hours. Was reading redline oil has one that will do -70. Dont know if you need something that intense but its nice to know it exists in the event of zombie outbreaks. Alaska region and antartica get darn cold so I'd like to think a better oil gives me 1+ chance to survive the walkers.
Posted By: wemay

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:06 AM

No difference except for one oil. I do perceive a difference with QSGB making my engine the quietest.
Posted By: David1

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:16 AM

here is what I really think synthetic oil does.. If you have a new car and after the break in period you use nothing but a full synthetic oil.. You get more like new miles from your engine. Compared useing conventional oil.

Also with synthetic there is less wear and slight better gas mileage but very slight.

However to buy a used car with 150K miles that has probably always had conventional oil and put FULL SYN will probably just make it noisy.. or can possibly clean that engine so well it can clean the sludge out .. Sludge that was attached to gaskets and once that sludge is gone you get leaks.

however if you have a new car or you buy a car with low miles, useing synthetic is good.

And you do not have to spend big $.. Walkmart Supertech from what Im told is a good synthetic and is about the same $ as conventional oil.
Posted By: Kuato

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:23 AM

I'm always hearing comments like, "once you go synthetic, you'll never go back." Why? What am I missing? And then I'll read reviews on Amazon about Royal Purple and people will say things like, "my engine feels more lively now; the engine revs up quicker." Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? Because if it does, that would be a good reason for buying it. But if it doesn't and you're a guy like me who enjoys sliding under the car twice a year, then that would mean I'd have to cut back to once a year with synthetic and the thought of that is disheartening. I cherish my under-car time.

Does for me. Noticed a slight gain in mpg when we switched back in '03.

Now, living in northern MT, synthetic 0wxx is a requirement when it is 30 below.

I am surprised you use dino, with your severe concerns about sludge and varnish!
Posted By: Merkava_4

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I am surprised you use dino, with your severe concerns about sludge and varnish!

OK expand on that -- Do you think synthetic reduces the risk of varnish formation ?
Posted By: DirtyMoe21

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21

No joke. While it doesn't go below 0 here, it's a humid 100 degrees in the summer and we do get some single digit windchill weather. That's a 90 degree temperature difference, I can certainly tell the difference on those cold days. There's no difference in hot weather because ambient temps.
Posted By: stockrex

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 12:38 PM

buy a bottle of each and leave it outside and compare them.
Being in Cali, you probably won't see any diff.

Why I do Syn:
1. flow better at start when it is -14F outside
2. won't degrade and gunk up when I drive 1 mile to groceries for months.
Posted By: Bamaro

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:05 PM

No except for cold starts on very cold mornings.
Posted By: tig1

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
. Why? What am I missing? .... Does full synthetic really make that much of a difference in the way the engine runs? ...

Very true. Many engines that begin to use oil have ring coking. I have seen rings completly seal off with carbon deposits. Synthetic oil will greatly reduce this even with much longer OCIs than dino. Any time you see varnish, which is caused by oil oxidation, coking may become a problem.

For a sound engine, synthetic oils like M1 or PP will give several advantages over dino.
Posted By: Propflux01

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 01:50 PM

I tend to believe it's only because synthetics are usually made on the thinner side of the viscosity grade. Less effort to circulate the oil can result in a slight (though small) increase in power.
Posted By: yvon_la

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 04:34 PM

not ,it run exactly the same!but low temperature issue will be lessened a lot and also high temperature issue will bee lessen a lot!if you don't have extreme then synthetic will be overkill.but if you live say in Canada where temperature can range from -35 celcuis to 35 celcius ?then yes there synthetic isn't an option is probably is best!
Posted By: Drew99GT

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22

Been to Bandimere many times; used to race my DSM up there when I was younger. 3.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile for most vehicles is about 200 more horspower. ie, to take something like a Mustang GT that would run mid to high 14s (this track is at 5,000 feet above sea level) and make it a low 12 second car, you'd need a supercharger kit and a small shot of nos, or a built motor and more boost.

I hope you meant 2 tenths faster or 3.5 tenths faster with synthetic (which in and of itself is a ludicrous claim; 3 tenths faster in the quarter mile is equivalent to about 20 hp on an average car; you're not gaining that much power just from switching oil!).
Posted By: Kuato

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Kuato

OK expand on that -- Do you think synthetic reduces the risk of varnish formation ?

Read the rest of the posts on page 2, they said it better than I can. Synthetic is also known to clean better than most dinos, and is more resistant to extremes of temperature. I like to think it has more "reserve power" (like in Star Trek or something) to handle adverse conditions.

I haven't seen a photo on here yet from a synthetic-run engine that had varnish. Go look at someof tig1's pictures from his M1, 10k oil change vehicles.
Posted By: Clevy

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 07:26 PM

Did I just read boxcar believes that an oil change will gain 2 seconds in the quarter and redline gains 3.5.

Well golllly.
So I could have saved 700 bucks and countless bottles of nitrous and gained my best time of 12.76 at our track,on street tires,which on the run before without nitrous I ran 13.8,with just an oil brand change.
And I could hit 11s with redline in the sump.

Well call me interested. Once the track opens up imma head on down there with the charger,run a couple laps with the castrol in the sump,do an oil change in the pits and put redline in there and I should move up an entire class.
Heck if I gain 3.5 seconds that means I'm running faster than 12s and I'll have to put a cage in the car after they throw me off the track.

I've seen some real whoppers from ole boxcar but this one takes the cake.
Dude. When you write stuff like that how can you expect to be taken seriously,ever again.
Wake up. 3.5 second gain with redline. If I were them that would be a dedicated page on my website telling that story, if it were true of course.
Posted By: Jaymus

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:19 PM

Some of you guys have been getting your oil from the top of a giant beanstalk, haven't you? I bet it's beautiful and golden.

The only time you are going to gain 3/10th's of a second at the track from an oil change is if you changed out 15,000 mile, thickened oil from a car 3 quarts low on oil and a 4-cylinder that couldn't overcome the extra "friction".

Rule of thumb:
.1 second = 10 horsepower = 100 lbs.
.3 of a second off a track time from an oil change is like adding 3.73's/3.90's/4.10's to a car with 3.08's. Or adding a full exhaust, CAI, and tune... and even that may not add 3/10th's of a second to most cars.

And to the guy saying he's seen 2 whole seconds shaved off, or 3 or 3.5 or whatever with a particular brand of synthetic... we are smarter than that, here.

I wonder if I can hit 7's with my bike by using Redline?

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Some of you guys have been getting your oil from the top of a giant beanstalk, haven't you? I bet it's beautiful and golden.

The only time you are going to gain 3/10th's of a second at the track from an oil change is if you changed out 15,000 mile, thickened oil from a car 3 quarts low on oil and a 4-cylinder that couldn't overcome the extra "friction".

Rule of thumb:
.1 second = 10 horsepower = 100 lbs.
.3 of a second off a track time from an oil change is like adding 3.73's/3.90's/4.10's to a car with 3.08's. Or adding a full exhaust, CAI, and tune... and even that may not add 3/10th's of a second to most cars.

And to the guy saying he's seen 2 whole seconds shaved off, or 3 or 3.5 or whatever with a particular brand of synthetic... we are smarter than that, here.

I wonder if I can hit 7's with my bike by using Redline?

Honestly, I could give a care less. I have nothing to lose or gain by posting our findings.We did it and others drivers tested the same weekend. You guys can take it FWIW.

Forums are used to share information,facts. If they aren't appreciated,then there's no point in posting. Racing season has begun,I'm gonna use this time to take a break from this forum.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Honestly, I could give a care less. I have nothing to lose or gain by posting our findings.We did it and others drivers tested the same weekend. You guys can take it FWIW.

Read what Car & Driver does. They run several tests in opposite directions and with different drivers, simply because error bars are so large. They run calculations based upon altitude. Even then, they caution people not to read too much into the results.

If one driver could take a vehicle on the 1/4 mile and show me a minimum of ten consecutive runs (at operating temperature) that had repeatable results, and then improve on it, repeatably with a different brand of oil (which would have to be done in a blind test to avoid sandbagging), then we'll talk.

The biggest source of error in any track run is the driver himself.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Garak

Read what Car & Driver does. They run several tests in opposite directions and with different drivers, simply because error bars are so large. They run calculations based upon altitude. Even then, they caution people not to read too much into the results.

If one driver could take a vehicle on the 1/4 mile and show me a minimum of ten consecutive runs (at operating temperature) that had repeatable results, and then improve on it, repeatably with a different brand of oil (which would have to be done in a blind test to avoid sandbagging), then we'll talk.

The biggest source of error in any track run is the driver himself.

Read?! No reading here thanks. We do ACTUAL testing with actual cars. No reading required.

We took 4 cars,did back to back testing. We took our race gas,our tires,etc to do the testing. You guys seriously need to step back and look at the time invested as well as money invested.But again,it does not matter.

Keep reading Car and Driver,because afterall,their testing is always non bias and factual. crackmeup

You guys keep wondering where posters go,think about it long and hard.I'm out,I've got racing to do.Ya'll have a good summer,it's been fun! cheers

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 11:28 PM

gzzz iam sorry I meant 3.5 tenths
Posted By: Errtt

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 11:38 PM

dunno about run better - maybe protect better at low low and high temps and extended OCIs.
One of the bikes (97 Harley) the oil temp gauge dropped when switched from Harley conventional to Amsoil synthetic. Does that count

Now if racing stripes make it go faster, I'll run a couple strips of black electrical tape from front to back and gain heaps of go fast
Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/26/14 11:59 PM

The facts are that synthetics keep your engine
1.Cleaner
2. Better protected in cold winter starts
3. Allow more mileage between oil changes
It's a no brainer for me!
Posted By: Nickdfresh

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/27/14 12:15 AM

I just just changed the oil on a Saturn I bought (2008 Astra). The dealership fill was probably Mobil 5000 5W-30. I put in 4 qts. of four year old Mobil 1 (SM) 10W-30 I bought from K-Mart on clearance for like $3 and about 3/4's of a quart of 0W-40 Mobil 1. I can't say the car is running much differently, but the fuel economy (according to the computer) has increased from 30.5 mpg in mixed driving to 30.9 mpg on average after reset. I don't know if that will last but I'll update...
Posted By: fdcg27

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/27/14 01:09 AM

I'd like to think that my engines run better on syn, but I've done the occassional run of dino enough times to know that they don't.
I've usually used syn in most of our cars, but I've also gotten most of it for pennies after MIR.
Is it better in any way?
I can't honestly say that it is, although I'd like to be able to.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/27/14 03:04 AM

Keep reading Car and Driver,because afterall,their testing is always non bias and factual.

I never said it was. But, at least they have actual engineers in charge of their testing. As I noted already, they caution people not to read too much into the results.

Read?! No reading here thanks. We do ACTUAL testing with actual cars. No reading required.

We took 4 cars,did back to back testing. We took our race gas,our tires,etc to do the testing. You guys seriously need to step back and look at the time invested as well as money invested.But again,it does not matter.

Okay, good. Then you won't mind providing me the statistical analysis, including the size of your error bars in your results. Right? What systemic errors did you note? How did you account for wind? Was temperature and humidity constant through the test? How did you deal with changes in tire, coolant, and oil temperature? How did you account for tire wear? How did you account for changes in in operational viscosity of the oil? How did you preclude sandbagging?

If you can't answer these questions, then it's the same rubbish promoted by the marketers. Product A gives you X number of extra horsepower and lowers your temperatures by five degrees.

And I do take such things for what their worth - not a hill of beans unless done in a statistically rigorous fashion.

But, what do I know? I suppose Mercedes F1 team got their lead this year from switching to a magical elixir of RP, Red Line, and Lucas products. No wonder they're ahead of McLaren that uses lowly Mobil products. crazy
Posted By: jlmwyo

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/27/14 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
1.Cleaner

Cold Starts!

Back when Syntec came out I put some in a 76 Ford Maverick. Lived in the dorms at the time, so no place to plug in a block heater even if you had one.

It was -60F one Feb. That [censored] car started. Practically everyone else was dead in the water.
Posted By: Jasper8146

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/29/14 08:34 PM

Although I am a strong believer in using high quality full synthetics in as many of the lubricants in a vehicle as possible (including power steering fluid, transmissions and differentials in addition to the oil), I can't say I have ever noticed that the cars actually ran better or smoother or felt livelier or even got noticeably better gas mileage in any of the vehicles I have used them in. For me the synthetics give me peace of mind and I do it for the extra wear protection and presumably longer life of the components. The synthetics may have contributed to better gas mileage in the past but I never took any base line readings with the non-synthetics before switching over. With my two current vehicles, I am getting base line numbers with conventional fluids and am going to see if total switch overs to synthetics makes any difference in that regard. I also could never hear any difference in the engines running different brands and/or weights of oils either. That said, others here on BITOG have reported their vehicles run better on certain synthetics and/or certain oils such as the Toyota 0W-20 which some people have reported as increasing their mileage quite a bit. I don't doubt what others have reported--it's just that none of my previous vehicles seemed to make any difference in the running between conventional fluids and synthetics.
Posted By: Oregoonian

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/29/14 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Jasper8146
Although I am a strong believer in using high quality full synthetics in as many of the lubricants in a vehicle as possible (including power steering fluid, transmissions and differentials in addition to the oil), I can't say I have ever noticed that the cars actually ran better or smoother or felt livelier or even got noticeably better gas mileage in any of the vehicles I have used them in. For me the synthetics give me peace of mind and I do it for the extra wear protection and presumably longer life of the components. The synthetics may have contributed to better gas mileage in the past but I never took any base line readings with the non-synthetics before switching over. With my two current vehicles, I am getting base line numbers with conventional fluids and am going to see if total switch overs to synthetics makes any difference in that regard. I also could never hear any difference in the engines running different brands and/or weights of oils either. That said, others here on BITOG have reported their vehicles run better on certain synthetics and/or certain oils such as the Toyota 0W-20 which some people have reported as increasing their mileage quite a bit. I don't doubt what others have reported--it's just that none of my previous vehicles seemed to make any difference in the running between conventional fluids and synthetics.

Pretty much agree with most of the above.
Posted By: gregoron

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/29/14 11:53 PM

To OP, it depends on one's car and butt dyno. If you have one of those driver's car that can transmit every mechanical and road sensation to your butt dyno, then in my opinion yes, full synthetic makes your car run better. This is speaking from my experience with the car in my sig after switching to manufacturer's recommended oil, which happens to be synthetic. It just ran smoother at higher RPMs consistently.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/30/14 01:12 AM

1.Cleaner

Agreed. While I don't have a high performance vehicle, the one I do have sees more short trips than not. A few more dollars on oil now may save me loads of trouble later, and really with QSUD being so cheap it IS a no brainer for me.
Posted By: DaveInIreland

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 05/31/14 11:50 PM

I have a pair of 30 year old Universal Japanese Motorcycles, and can say with some certainty that changing to synthetic to get the 5W grade at the bottom end paid dividends in eliminating cold clutch drag and it also lets the engine rev more freely, of that I'm sure.
Butt dyno says it's a little bit better, but who knows - these things are totally subjective and I could be feeling something that I'm looking for.
The other benefits of synthetic in an air-cooled engine; greater resistance to heat breakdown and (hopefully) shear resistance will make themselves known in the next few months. This is my first fill of synthetic and I'm waiting to see how it pans out.
Currently I'm running a diy blend of 1L 5W/50 Champion Race Synth (to get some of the extra ZDDP) and 2L 5W/40 Pennasol (re-branded as Lidl synth) and according to this, I have a viscosity of 97cSt
http://www.lubebase.com/cgi-bin/graph/calculate-blending-vg?desired_vg=97&visc1=88&visc2=118
The overall result is pleasing; no cold clutch grab and gearchanges are nice and smooth, although the quality of gearchange might deteriorate as the oil ages. Clutch slip, while not totally absent, only shows when provoked and isn't a problem, as such.
Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/01/14 12:29 AM

My Harley V-Twin runs cooler with Syn oil this I can see on the oil temp gauge!

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/01/14 04:01 AM

My temp gauge in my Trailblazer seems to have dropped a few degrees now that I'm using PP. Pretty crazy. Usually it sat right at 210 with PYB, but now it's just outside of the 210 mark and usually stays there even with the AC on and at red lights.

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/03/14 12:00 AM

absolutely!!
Posted By: Ram01

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/03/14 03:58 AM

Dino oils are protecting and cleaning motors just as or if not not better than syn
Posted By: raytseng

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/04/14 06:18 AM

Here's another question.

So if synthetic and dino cost the same price, some would pick the dino? How about if it were only 50cents more expensive?

I find that a lot of people's justification dino really always come down to cost. But they don't discount that synthetic does no harm.

Yet with the price gap relatively small (the cost of a burrito), basing the choice on cost seems to be a false choice to me.
Posted By: Clevy

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 06/04/14 08:22 AM

You know that means the oil is absorbing less heat right,proven by the oils lower temp,since the engine is shedding the same heat it always does because of combustion and friction.

Synthetic lasts longer in service but its still just oil.
At 5000 mile intervals for conventional and 10000 for syn in the same engine I will bet there is no difference whatsoever in wear or cleanliness.
And truth be known I've found conventionals to run smoother and more quiet then their synthetic counterparts.
Posted By: DaveInIreland

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by DaveInIreland
I have a pair of 30 year old Universal Japanese Motorcycles, and can say with some certainty that changing to synthetic to get the 5W grade at the bottom end paid dividends in eliminating cold clutch drag and it also lets the engine rev more freely, of that I'm sure.
Butt dyno says it's a little bit better, but who knows - these things are totally subjective and I could be feeling something that I'm looking for.
The other benefits of synthetic in an air-cooled engine; greater resistance to heat breakdown and (hopefully) shear resistance will make themselves known in the next few months. This is my first fill of synthetic and I'm waiting to see how it pans out.
Currently I'm running a diy blend of 1L 5W/50 Champion Race Synth (to get some of the extra ZDDP) and 2L 5W/40 Pennasol (re-branded as Lidl synth) and according to this, I have a viscosity of 97cSt
http://www.lubebase.com/cgi-bin/graph/calculate-blending-vg?desired_vg=97&visc1=88&visc2=118
The overall result is pleasing; no cold clutch grab and gearchanges are nice and smooth, although the quality of gearchange might deteriorate as the oil ages. Clutch slip, while not totally absent, only shows when provoked and isn't a problem, as such.

Thought I'd just update that above.
The clutchslip became a little mor frequent over the next few thousand miles, but never enough to prompt me to replace it. I eventually replaced the clutch as a clean-sweep when I had the top end and barrels off to refresh the top and fix an inevitable bottom-gasket base leak the GS850 Suzukis all suffer from.
On examining the old clutch and springs, there was nothing wrong with the plates, save a bit of glazing - no discernable wear thin-ness but the springs were all weak. Standard factory springs from 1980. I replaced with new plates and a mix of 3 HD and 3 new factory springs, and it's now perfect. The old clutch had done at least 80K miles and likely a lot more.
I'm sure if I de-glazed the old plates they'd probably do fine in another engine used purely as a second-line bike.
Posted By: jongies3

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 03:40 AM

I run syn in my Tacoma and dino in my Buick, I can't tell a difference.
Posted By: slybunda

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 07:00 AM

Noticed engine takes a bit longer to warm up with synthetic.
Posted By: GMBoy

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by DirtyMoe21

It was in the 20's this week. We get the occasional cold snap here and there lol
Posted By: GMBoy

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN

Absolutely! I noticed the same thing - a good 10-15 degrees cooler on a hot day.
Posted By: blupupher

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 12:58 PM

I have never noticed a difference in how a vehicle runs based on what oil is in it.
A lot of the butt dyno improvements are justification for spending more.
I know of no butt calibration device to be able to qualify "improvements".

I am not saying there are not benefits to synthetic, because there are, but have never personally seen, felt or heard difference base on syn vs dino.

Main reason I use synthetic is it is cheaper that conventional when you find it on sale/clearance/rebate.
I don't do long intervals and have no specialty vehicles that "require" it, and could use the cheapest "dino" oil (which is all a syn blend now anyway) and have the same results.
Posted By: ka9mnx

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN

Absolutely! I noticed the same thing - a good 10-15 degrees cooler on a hot day.

Yep. My 2 Fords and Ram Van run cooler on synthetics (highway running). The 4Runner doesn't change.
Posted By: littleant

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 04:50 PM

Can not say if my 02 jeep runs better but I will state this fact. At minus -20--40 using (5W30 Pennzoil platinum high mileage with a fram ultra will start without an oil pan or block heater where synthetic blend or conventional 5W30 will not.
Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 05:59 PM

I only noticed more noise in my cars and higher oil consumption ( none on Dino or Syn-Blend )
Posted By: dareo

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 06:01 PM

Only thing i've tried regular oil and synthetic is our 7.3L diesel van. the 5w40 starts and runs vastly better than 15w40 in anything other than the hot summer months. All my other stuff i don't even consider a non synthetic.
Posted By: N Heat

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 06:44 PM

Ive never been much if a synthetic guy. Ive tried several over the years but just went back to dino for whatever reason. Mobil 1 in my Suburban made the piston slap sound much worse.

Ive kinda changed my mind. Ive got a 2012 4runner that calls for 10k oci on syn. That is the first vehicle ive consistently used it in. Im gonna switch my CRV over to ST full syn next oil change. The prices between dino and syn are so close now, to me its a no brainer.
Posted By: pitzel

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/15/19 10:31 PM

No difference, but I am able to run extreme OCI's with synthetic (ie: 60k+ miles). Which I don't think would be a possibility with dino.

GM 3.1L LH0 V6 engine.
Posted By: ET16

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/16/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyMoe21

Me, too.
Posted By: GZRider

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/16/19 11:05 PM

Synthetic oils are more resistant to shearing under pressure and high temperatures while still remaining in grade with very cold startup temps. Will it make a difference on a GM3800 being driven to the supermarket and Sunday services in a temperate climate? No not really. Will it make a difference in a F20C or VQ37 or LS1/2 being driven hard on long mountain roads without adding any oil coolers? (CoolAid Man voice) Oh Yeah. Beyond that synthetics can reduce down time and "BS". A 5-6k OCI's with Mobil1 EP or Valvoline M.E. or PUP or (insert your favorite synthetic engine oil here) and a good filter means you will never be dealing with valve train clatter, sludge, clogged OC rings or carbon issues.
Posted By: JimBobSeeker

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/18/19 05:11 AM

After switching to full synthetic oil (from conventional), I noticed the following:

1) Easier cranking in the winter
2) Engine was quieter
3) During the winter, the engine oil feels much less viscous immediately after moving off.

Posted By: talest

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/18/19 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by pitzel
No difference, but I am able to run extreme OCI's with synthetic (ie: 60k+ miles). Which I don't think would be a possibility with dino.

GM 3.1L LH0 V6 engine.

You run 60k OCIs?
Posted By: Silver

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/18/19 08:51 PM

Name brand synthetic is roughly 67% more expensive, so it would make sense that you'd get around 67% more power.

Right?
Posted By: tiger862

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/18/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by FetchFar
Originally Posted by Merkava_4

Very true. Many engines that begin to use oil have ring coking. I have seen rings completly seal off with carbon deposits. Synthetic oil will greatly reduce this even with much longer OCIs than dino. Any time you see varnish, which is caused by oil oxidation, coking may become a problem.

For a sound engine, synthetic oils like M1 or PP will give several advantages over dino.

Proof?
Posted By: pitzel

Re: Does full synthetic make your car run better ? - 11/20/19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by pitzel

GM 3.1L LH0 V6 engine.

You run 60k OCIs?

Yuppers... Haven't changed oil since George W was in office on that vehicle.. I made a thread with some pics of the oil pan and valve covers removed at various times.
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy