Home

Lucas Oil Stabilizer...???

Posted By: Bob_B

Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 01:03 AM

Guys,

I've seen Lucas Oil Stabilizer at the local parts store. It seems to be very thick...maybe not quite as thick as STP. What advantage is there in using this additive, if any? Does it do anything more than thicken the oil so that an old engine will burn less and perhaps run quieter?
Posted By: addyguy

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 01:11 AM

Does absolutely nothing but thicken your oil up into goop. There are no additives at all in Lucas.

Don't believe me? Check out the VOA section.....
Posted By: Audi Junkie

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 01:24 AM

Greasy slop.
Posted By: StevieC

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 01:40 AM

English Slop to be exact!
Posted By: wirelessF

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 02:43 AM

This is where that stuff come from

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1437567#Post1437567

(Watch the youtube video in the thread)
Posted By: Peted

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 02:52 AM

If you want a really thick engine oil. have at it. ;\)
Posted By: TallPaul

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 02:57 AM

What does it mean to "stabilize" oil? I don't want my oil to stabilize. I want it to flow!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 03:37 AM

–verb (used with object)
1. to make or hold stable, firm, or steadfast.

lmao, Nice choice of words Lucas! Well played.
Posted By: Hethaerto

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 05:20 AM

It works great for me. BITOGers say that it foams up, and refer to some video on the web as scientific proof, but when I check my oil there is no foam on the dipstick. When I peer into my valve cover I see no foam.

My car's running like a dream right now with one quart of Lucas and two ounces of Tufoil in Lucas 5W20 syn oil.
Posted By: Black_Thunder

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 06:56 AM

I've never had a oil that needed to be stabilized.
Posted By: Nickdfresh

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 02:12 PM

The only use of this stuff is to control burning or consumption in an older engine. Even then, I think I'd use STP, Restore, or something BarsLeaks over it...
Posted By: nascarnation

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/21/09 03:04 PM

This stuff is seriously profitable. If you need any evidence, check the $$ to sponsor Lucas Oil Stadium here in Indy.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
This stuff is seriously profitable. If you need any evidence, check the $$ to sponsor Lucas Oil Stadium here in Indy.
No doubt. But it's profitability to the consumer is in ignoring it.
Posted By: fito

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 02:03 PM

Garbage.
Posted By: lexus114

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 02:30 PM

I wouldn`t use it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 02:42 PM

Probably about as worthwhile as the thick STP stuff. Liquid plastic. The goal is to reduce plastic in the oil.
Posted By: addyguy

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 04:08 PM

At least the STP stuff has additives in it, and is cheaper!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 05:07 PM

It's strange how BITOGers will all band together against a product.

One person will claim to have in-depth knowledge of a product, and will claim that it is garbage, though that person has never used the product.

Then all other BITOGers will come in and try to be cool and fit in by bandwagoning against the condemned product that's not been used by any of these BITOGers.

Then when one person comes in and says "Hey, I use it, and my car's running like a striped ape!", this person is mocked as gullible and foolish, and that his experiences with his own car are simply psychological and in no way based in reality.
Posted By: OVERKILL

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

One person will claim to have in-depth knowledge of a product, and will claim that it is garbage, though that person has never used the product.

Then all other BITOGers will come in and try to be cool and fit in by bandwagoning against the condemned product that's not been used by any of these BITOGers.

Then when one person comes in and says "Hey, I use it, and my car's running like a striped ape!", this person is mocked as gullible and foolish, and that his experiences with his own car are simply psychological and in no way based in reality.

There was a study ON THIS SITE performed a number of years ago by the site owner IIRC showing that Lucas caused excessive aeration of the lubricant during use.

The lubricant in question was gear oil.
Posted By: GrampsintheSand

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 08:05 PM

Or folks post mass generalizations based on hypothetical situations being played out to support an opposing viewpoint.
Posted By: Bob_B

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/22/09 11:19 PM

If the study was done on gear oil, how can anyone be sure that the motor oil additive will perform the same way...??? Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Still, based upon some of the other comments, I'll probably steer clear of it and use STP in my high mileage 62 Falcon.
Posted By: panthermike

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob_B
If the study was done on gear oil, how can anyone be sure that the motor oil additive will perform the same way...??? Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Still, based upon some of the other comments, I'll probably steer clear of it and use STP in my high mileage 62 Falcon.

Actually, in the same test, they compare Schaeffer's 15w40 vs. I believe Delo w/ Lucas added.

Here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: panthermike
 Originally Posted By: Bob_B

Actually, in the same test, they compare Schaeffer's 15w40 vs. I believe Delo w/ Lucas added.

Here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

You are correct. It wreaked aeration havoc on the motor oil as well.
Posted By: Steve S

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 02:45 AM

How does it stabilize oil?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 03:43 AM

I also like how many BITOGers consider themselves some sort of "Oil Police" going about enforcing some sort of unwritten laws of oil usage. One may find himself in "Oil Jail" for utilizing a prohibited oil additive!

Then there's the self-professed oil "experts" that know everything there is to know about how oil works in an engine, and if they don't already know it (meaning they haven't read about it on BITOG), then they don't need to know it.

BITOG is loaded with awesome information about oil, that's why I hang out here, but d**n, the attitudes by some are hard to stomach.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 05:38 AM

There is nothing in the elemental analysis. That's a fact that is a good basis for asserting it's worthless or worse.

Now, do YOU have some facts that justify it's use?
Posted By: hal

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 06:12 AM

i wouldn't trust it. i tried it once with an engine that had a rod knock, revved it to 7,000rpm's and it threw the rod straight out the block!

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 06:17 AM

[censored] oil everywhere. and the exhaust caught on fire. stupid piece of [censored].

really though i don't think any good oil would need something like this.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 06:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
There is nothing in the elemental analysis. That's a fact that is a good basis for asserting it's worthless or worse.

My car's running like a striped ape.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: hal
i wouldn't trust it. i tried it once with an engine that had a rod knock, revved it to 7,000rpm's and it threw the rod straight out the block!

Any chance your engine would've done the same with any oil in there at 7000 rpm with a rod knocking?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 06:53 AM

i was joking. i don't blame the lucas for the catastrophic failure as it was intentional. it didn't decrease the knock at idle, though. i thought maybe the thickness of it would help.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 07:44 AM

Sorry. I didn't realize you were kidding.

Another dude said that Tufoil caused his main bearing to seize in his BMW. I just rubbed my forehead when I read it.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 04:41 PM

There is only one currently available oil additive that I would recommend: Redline Breakin Additive. They even say it can be used to increase zddp in modern oils.

There have been other good adds, but the ones I am confident in (have seen VOA data and had right consistency/thickness) are not available anymore (mainly SLOB).

As for thickening, I would just go with a thicker oil to begin with, maybe mix in one qt of syn 20w50 to your regular fill.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 05:16 PM

There isn't anything in Lucas to make your car run like a "striped ape." You would probably get the same effect by using 20w50 motor oil. But if it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 08:08 PM

Is that striped like a zebra, or stripped like naked?

Actually, the term I have often heard is "it runs like a raped ape," which actually does happen in the wild, probably most frequently among orangutans.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: panthermike

There isn't anything in Lucas to make your car run like a "striped ape." You would probably get the same effect by using 20w50 motor oil. But if it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

I think the 20W-50, especially an modern SM-rated oil or a syn blend like Vavoline VR-1 or MaxLife, would be much better IMO...

At least the oil would be balanced and consistent...
Posted By: FastSUV

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 11:11 PM

It works great for me. BITOGers say that it foams up, and refer to some video on the web as scientific proof, but when I check my oil there is no foam on the dipstick. When I peer into my valve cover I see no foam.

My car's running like a dream right now with one quart of Lucas and two ounces of Tufoil in Lucas 5W20 syn oil.

Those foam tests were for gear oils and did not take into account the higher operation temps of an engine...LUCAS is not necessary in most cars, but if you had a Chevy pickup with 200k and leaks/burn-off it is a great option
Posted By: Lord Haw Haw

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/23/09 11:52 PM

Greasy slop.

Karnak sez, What's today's special at Denny's?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 12:19 AM

Wow, that's very scientific and quite conclusive.

And you're criticizing our analytical approach?
Posted By: ADFD1

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
There is only one currently available oil additive that I would recommend: Redline Breakin Additive. They even say it can be used to increase zddp in modern oils.

There have been other good adds, but the ones I am confident in (have seen VOA data and had right consistency/thickness) are not available anymore (mainly SLOB).

As for thickening, I would just go with a thicker oil to begin with, maybe mix in one qt of syn 20w50 to your regular fill.

+1 on the RL Break In Add, good stuff. I did a little research of my own and it seems to be a good product if you feel you need to boost ZDDP.

AD

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 04:18 AM

I'm using the new version of LOS, the synthetic based stuff. I wonder if the synthetic host oil has any useful additives in it?

Using a 20W50 oil sounds like a good idea, that is, if the extra oil thickness is really all that's going on with the LOS.

A striped ape runs really, really fast. I'm not sure what a striped ape actually is, it's just an expression I heard my father say all my life, and I always knew exactly what he was trying to say.......whatever he was talking about was performing like a striped ape. :D

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 04:24 AM

Wow, that's very scientific and quite conclusive.

And you're criticizing our analytical approach?

I'm criticizing how so many BITOGers are really just bandwagoners with zero knowledge of oil just trying to fit in and then go on slinging mud and insulting people because they think that the resident oil experts at BITOG will accept them and pat them on the back for condemning someone that utilizes oil additives.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 04:28 AM

Can we all agree that LOS actually does help oil cling to metal and stay on the topside of the engine whereas untreated oil will quickly drain back to the oil pan?

If we can agree on this, can I say that maybe this clinging ability would be very helpful when utilizing ARX? If ARX is able to be delivered to the topside of the engine more easily, and then be able to stay there long after the engine is shut down, would ARX then be able to perform a more thorough cleaning of the topside of the engine?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 04:39 AM

Can we all agree that LOS actually does help oil cling to metal and stay on the topside of the engine whereas untreated oil will quickly drain back to the oil pan?

If we can agree on this, can I say that maybe this clinging ability would be very helpful when utilizing ARX? If ARX is able to be delivered to the topside of the engine more easily, and then be able to stay there long after the engine is shut down, would ARX then be able to perform a more thorough cleaning of the topside of the engine?

I've likely over-posted this pic on here but anyways:

This engine hasn't been run in FOUR years now:

I still see lots of oil on everything.
Posted By: chevrofreak

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 04:40 AM

It's that clinging that would prevent Auto RX from working. That's why you can't use an oil with esters in it when you do an Auto RX clean and rinse phase.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:20 AM

Tack vs cling is part of engine and lubricant design.

I'm shure you want to mess with that balance.

If I ever need to lube the top end of some little slow moving plastic gears at room temp, I'll be shure to check Lucas out.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:33 AM

"I still see lots of oil on everything."

I don't. I see tiny pools of oil collected in spots that resist drainage. Very clean, though.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:34 AM

I don't. I see tiny pools of oil collected in spots that resist drainage. Very clean, though.

Each rocker has oil in it (look closely) and there is some sitting on top of the valve springs.

What you can't really see is that there is a FILM of oil on EVERYTHING. And that is after FOUR years of sitting.

Oil is just M1 5w50 IIRC, nothing exotic.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
It's that clinging that would prevent Auto RX from working. That's why you can't use an oil with esters in it when you do an Auto RX clean and rinse phase.

I thought LOS had nothing in it? Now it's got esters in it?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Each rocker has oil in it (look closely) and there is some sitting on top of the valve springs.

What you can't really see is that there is a FILM of oil on EVERYTHING. And that is after FOUR years of sitting.

Well, I think that's great! :)

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Well, I think that's great! :)

So do I

I was quite elated when I pulled that valve cover.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 05:58 AM

You completely missed what I said. Esters cling to metal, and will prevent the deposits from being cleaned off as easily. If the Lucas clings to the metal, it will also prevent the deposits from being cleaned off.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 06:02 AM

You completely missed what I said. Esters cling to metal, and will prevent the deposits from being cleaned off as easily. If the Lucas clings to the metal, it will also prevent the deposits from being cleaned off.

I hear you, but I really don't think I've got a giant blob of oil gelled on my engine surfaces. :D It does circulate.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 09:09 PM

No,man. Some of us just refuse to stick foreign objects in our oil pans.
Posted By: dennisny

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/24/09 10:06 PM

Additives, are junk!!!, why add uneccesary minerals to your oil.

1)When advertised as a performance additive-it makes your oil thicker to boost oil-presure. But can be harmful on new engines that are tighter tolerance and require a thinner weight oil.

2)For older engines that leak. If your engine is leaking that bad-the engine is shot.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FZ1

Let me guess.....you've used ARX before.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dennisny

1)When advertised as a performance additive-it makes your oil thicker to boost oil-presure. But can be harmful on new engines that are tighter tolerance and require a thinner weight oil.

2)For older engines that leak. If your engine is leaking that bad-the engine is shot.

So I guess my car's new performance is all just in my head?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 07:31 PM

That is the most scientific explaination, yes.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 07:38 PM

That is the most scientific explaination, yes.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: FZ1

Let me guess.....you've used ARX before.

Auto RX is made of esters. Esters work great in and as oil.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/25/09 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dennisny

So I guess my car's new performance is all just in my head?

Pretty much.
Posted By: FZ1

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 12:55 AM

Yes.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 02:46 AM

You guys can be pathetic sometimes.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 03:59 AM

"Pretty much."

This is one of the stupidest statements I've read on BITOG.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 04:51 AM

Run some strait Lucas and get back to us. All that magical stuff, how can you go wrong?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 04:56 AM

Run some strait Lucas and get back to us. All that magical stuff, how can you go wrong?

Only if you run "strait" ARX.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 10:56 AM

You are feeling a faster, more powerful car because you wanted to feel a faster, more powerful car.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 02:13 PM

The thicker oil could theoretically increase compression on a slightly worn engine. But, you'd be much better off using a nice, balanced high mileage oil over any additive if this is the case...

And if one wants thicker oil, use thicker oils such as HDEO, HM, or a synthetic 5W-40 -for the best of both worlds...

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 06:31 PM

You are feeling a faster, more powerful car because you wanted to feel a faster, more powerful car.

Absolutely absurd.

I guess a friend of mine that's driven my car before and after the changes I've made is also deluded in thinking that the car is running great.

I really don't know why I bother spending my time on this site with ridiculous people like you.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/26/09 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The thicker oil could theoretically increase compression on a slightly worn engine. But, you'd be much better off using a nice, balanced high mileage oil over any additive if this is the case...

And if one wants thicker oil, use thicker oils such as HDEO, HM, or a synthetic 5W-40 -for the best of both worlds...

I agree with this thinking, and have decided to try out a heavy synthetic next time.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 03:30 AM

Let's hear some theory, not anecdotes. Like "Lucas ~might~ make my engine run better because it has no additives and no lubricative qualities beyond that of peanut oil".

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 03:49 AM

maybe they should just call it "Lucas Oil Thickener"

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: hal
maybe they should just call it "Lucas Oil Thickener"

I wonder if this would make BITOGers happy?
Posted By: pickled

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 05:06 AM

I don't know but you could go and blog about our collective negativity to additives and ineptness related to additives put into use in otherwise fully optimized mixtures on the Noria forums if you like.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: pickled
I don't know but you could go and blog about our collective negativity to additives and ineptness related to additives put into use in otherwise fully optimized mixtures on the Noria forums if you like.

Are you asking me to leave?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 05:19 AM

Nope...just catching up on current events at both forums and saw a lot of similarities in a few threads. I appreciate all discussion that is constructive, but if I suspect that this community is getting bashed for offering sensible advice I (as well as other professionals that contribute) tend to take offense. Please forgive me if I made a mistake about the similarities in postings because I mean no offense to you if you are not the same individual over on the aforementioned site.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: pickled
Nope...just catching up on current events at both forums and saw a lot of similarities in a few threads. I appreciate all discussion that is constructive, but if I suspect that this community is getting bashed for offering sensible advice I (as well as other professionals that contribute) tend to take offense. Please forgive me if I made a mistake about the similarities in postings because I mean no offense to you if you are not the same individual over on the aforementioned site.

Is there another BITOG site somewhere?

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 07:10 AM

ok as for a theory....here's the only one I have about this product: It MIGHT be useful in an older engine or one that has barely-within-spec bearing tolerances because the thickness of it makes up for looseness. The thickness MIGHT mask viscosity breakdown thus the "stabilizer" name.

It seems like it's just a superthick base oil with no additives. As I said before I do not think this stuff has a purpose if you use good oil and change it regularly. If you race and need a superthick oil it MIGHT be good. If your engine is loose it MIGHT keep you from noticing knocks longer. It is in no way preventative maintenance, though.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 01:49 PM

NORIA has an active discussion forum at the moment on this same topic (engine oil additives). That's what I was referring to. As for me and Lucas- I wish that I had the little gear box in my office so I could turn the wheels and watch the climbing lube when I'm zoning out worrying about life's general events. I used it once back in the day, and swear that I could hear my crankshaft scream NO as the engine started to warm up. To each their own, but I personally wouldn't touch the stuff. Straight 50 and 60 grade group II+ base oils are much cheaper if you feel that you need the viscosity bump.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 04:24 PM

Absolutely absurd.

I guess a friend of mine that's driven my car before and after the changes I've made is also deluded in thinking that the car is running great.

I really don't know why I bother spending my time on this site with ridiculous people like you.

Mind > Matter. It is all in your head. All lucas does is raise the viscosity, make it thicker. That is all it does. As someone else stated. Unless you have a Real old engine the lucas won't do much and may actually harm your engine, if it is new. Putting too thick an oil in a new engine.

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 04:30 PM

"Pretty much."

This is one of the stupidest statements I've read on BITOG.

How's that statement stupid? You asked if your car running like a "striped ape" was because of Lucas, if it was all in your head. I believe it is, I don't see how an oil "thickener" could increase the performance. Decrease consumption maybe, but not "increase" performance.

As others have said, use a 5w40 oil, or a high mileage oil. At least they have useful contents in their formulation.
Posted By: dnewton3

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilizer...??? - 04/27/09 04:43 PM

To all involved; keep it civil, please.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy