High Iron in 2006 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

First off thanks for an excellent site!

I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins with about 15k miles that has shown high Iron in every test. I have done a bunch of turbo work on this motor (replacing single turbo 3X's and then installing a set of twin turbos) so I'm assuming the Iron is coming from contamination while the system is opened-up. Here's my last report...

oil_analysis_3.jpg

Would it be normal to see those levels of Fe from doing turbo work?

Your numbers don't look that out of whack, I am suspecting high hp as allan5oh said which is putting more strain on the engine. The iron will come down as miles on this motor increases. What kind of boost #s you running with your twins. What oil are you runnning as well. My iron #s were 46 ppm exactly for 3 5k oci's using rotella dino up until 22k and then they dropped to low 20's.

Quote:

Your numbers don't look that out of whack, I am suspecting high hp as allan5oh said which is putting more strain on the engine. The iron will come down as miles on this motor increases. What kind of boost #s you running with your twins. What oil are you runnning as well. My iron #s were 46 ppm exactly for 3 5k oci's using rotella dino up until 22k and then they dropped to low 20's.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about it.

I'm only running around 50psi with the twins. Have to keep the boost limited until I install head studs. The oil is Mobil Delo or Delvac (I always get the two mixed up
blush.gif
).

All of the UOA's included some drag racing and a little bit of light-moderate towing. The last one also included a cross-country trip towing a moderate load in record high temps with the power at around 500 RWHP. I could understand seeing some increased Fe levels after that trek.

Also, when the twins were installed an oil freeze plug was knocked out of the block for the 2nd turbo's drain line. A steel insert was hammered into the block in that hole as well as the stock oil drain hole. The stock one used a double O-ring pushed into place in the block. It seems that some amount of Fe would be a result of hammering in those two pieces...no?

That doesn't look like Delo- is it Delvac1 or 1300S?
Your iron will probably come down with an increase in miles- mine has. THe engine work and high hp aside, your wear numbers look the same as mine did. Just continue to monitor and shorten your intervals for a while.

With the power level you're running, keep the OCI's short.
You don't need a synthetic down south in Florida.
High insolubles show the amount of blowby soot getting by the oil filter.
Keep the OCI ~3k, with any 15w40, and enjoy your drag racing.

If you're worried about contamination from engine service, simply drop the OCI to 1k for a rinse run prior to your next UOA.

Where is the Boron coming from? Did you take your sample at a temperature a bit below full operational temp? Was the sample taken other than mid-stream? And did you take your sample after some short runs, maybe no long run in the past half dozen trips?

I read in a car mag, that dodge says dodge rams cummins turbo diesel engine life expectancy is 350k miles. fyi

Quote:

Where is the Boron coming from? Did you take your sample at a temperature a bit below full operational temp? Was the sample taken other than mid-stream? And did you take your sample after some short runs, maybe no long run in the past half dozen trips?

Not sure? I didn't even notice how high it was until you said something. Where does Boron usually come from?

The sample was taken after about 20 minutes of 35-60mph driving. I did let the EGT's cool before shutdown and then spent another 5 minutes getting the sample container and stuff. Previous to that all the trips have been 15-20 minutes at about the same speeds.

I use a Fumoto drain valve and took the sample from that.

Quote:

With the power level you're running, keep the OCI's short.
You don't need a synthetic down south in Florida.
High insolubles show the amount of blowby soot getting by the oil filter.
Keep the OCI ~3k, with any 15w40, and enjoy your drag racing.

If you're worried about contamination from engine service, simply drop the OCI to 1k for a rinse run prior to your next UOA.

I've been using 5k OCI, but will take your suggestion and drop to 3k. Thanks for the info!

My iron has progressively gotten lower from 56, 26, 22, and now 15 with 25,000miles on my 05 Dodge. Lead has always been 1.
And I have over 600rwhp.
Can't wait to get my next analysis done now that I've got Schaeffers in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back