5W20 can now be used in Saturns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just now found out today that 5W20 oil can now be used in Saturns. I own a Saturn 2003 Ion and in the owner's manual it states that 5W30 is the preferred viscosity (0W30 can be used in severe cold and 10W30 can be used only in warm temperature if 5W30 is not available).

I received a mailed advertisement from the Saturn dealership advertising various maintenance that is available. Oil changes using 5W20 mineral oil , semi-synthetic 5W20 oil, and full synthetic 5W20 oil were included. I called the Saturn dealership service ddepartment and told the woman who answered about the ad and asked if I could now use 5W20 oil in my 2003 Saturn Ion. The service adviser said that I could now use 5W20 oil.

Apparently Saturn has now switched to 5W20 oil instead of 5W30. Saturn is really part of General Motors but I don't know if all of General Motors is switching to 5W20.

Didn't you run it in an S series and get outstanding UOA?
cheers.gif

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm my 07 2.2 ecotech will be due for an OC in a couple weeks. Just in time for it's winter brrrrrrrrrrrew.

Well, I like to use synthetic oil in the wintertime so I can now look at something like Mobil 1 5W20, Pennzoil Platinum 5W20, or Chevron 5W20 if they make such a viscosity. I kind of think I will still use Chevron 5W30 conventional in the warmer months of the year.

Also, 0W30 is still an option (as well as 5W30 synthetic). I am allowed according to the owner's manual to use 0W30 synthetic in cold weather. Perhaps a 0W30 would be better than a 5W20 anyway.

The Saturn Vue with the 3.5L Honda V6 is spec'd for 5W20 oil being that it is a Honda motor. That is what they probably offer 5W20 for.

I switched to 5W-20 recently with no issues.

However, I take all information over the phone - or by-way of email, with a grain of salt. I prefer something in writing - with a dealer representative's full name attached.

I would ask to see a copy of the official Saturn technical bulletin announcing this change. I don't see anything in the third party TSB database I have access to.

The 5w-20 is indeed for the Honda powered Vues.

The Saturn dealer here uses only 5w-20 in the Vues and 5w-30 in everything else.

5w-20 comes out of quart bottles and the 5w-30 comes out of the bulk guns.

Bill

If I would have tried to use 5w20 in my '91 SL2, I would've have been adding oil once a week, at a quart a shot.

The original Saturn engines were consumers. They were very tough, smooth running, but did use oil, no matter what weight you started with. I ran everything from 5w30 petroleum to Amsoil's SAE 60 racing oil, and it still would use, but usually if 1) valve cover gasket replacement time (usually every 40 to 50K miles) or 2) you used the power the engine had frequently (what fun is it if you don't enjoy your engine?!?).

If you kept it driven like "Driving Miss Daisy", then not much consumption at all. I think that they can do this since Saturn itself hasn't designed any other engine since that 1.9L I-4. All engines under Saturns these days are either of GM, Saab, or Honda origin.

Thanks for that information Bill. If the 5W20 is only for Saturns with Honda built engines they should say so. According to what the service advisor told me and according to the printed advertisement from Saturn 5W20 is apparently available for all models.

My Saturn is closing in on 60,000 miles. I think I will keep using the 5W30 Chevron in the warmer months of the year. And actually 0W30 synthetic or 5W30 synthetic should be aceptable for the wintertime. My Saturn does not seem to use any oil but there is probably some engine wear and a little thicker oil will not hurt. Especially since it was supposed to use 5W30, 0W30 (wintertime), and 10W30 (warmer temperature only) anyway.

I have been thinking about using Chevron 5W30 synthetic in the wintertime. The conventional Chevron works just fine the rest of the year. I would use the conventional Chevron all year but it can reach temperatures of -15 and -19 where I live. I have even seen temperatures of -28. A synthetic just flows better in the cold.

I know of a place locally where I should be able to get synthetic Chevron, probably in 12 quart containers. If it was cheap enough maybe I would use the synthetic Chevron all year.

Cool. I had planned on swapping my 2007 Cobalt 2.2L to 5w-20 on the next OC anyway. I buy it for my 2001 Windstar, so it makes things easier. Just grab an extra 5qt jug of Motorcraft. I buy plenty of 5w-30 for family OC's so I have lots of receipts should they be necessary for my Cobalt's 5/100K warranty. 5w-20 certainly isn't any 'worse' than your typical off the shelf 5w-30. I bet it's better than most.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back