Should I touch my MAF even though no issues are pr

Status
Not open for further replies.
With no issues present and no codes being thrown.....as part of my preventative maint, I was planning to clean my MAF sensor. It's about 2K shy of 50K, but I'll be planning a weekend warrior DIY and getting my hands greasy anyhow.

Any impelling reason not to touch it bearing that the MAF is somewhat delicate. I was just planning to spray down the MAF sensor thoroughly with contact cleaner. I noticed on the autoparts shelf that CRC actually makes a dedicated MAF cleaner as well these days.

I say give it a shot of the right cleaner an call it a day
thumbsup.gif

I had to take my B3000 Mazda (Ford 3.0L) MAF off to clean it (K&N). Used a Q-tip and brake cleaner (just be gentle) and it did the trick.

If it's the vane type MAF sensor (not the heating element type), don't mess with it but just leave it alone. It shall prove you years, if not decades of faithful service.

For filament type (or filament with a coloured glob/bead type), go find some good MAF spray cleaner that is residual-free and then use that to wash down the grease/crud/carbon formed on the "glob" and then air dry. Do not attempt to speed up the process with compressed air.

AFIAK the hot wire maf's can degrade/oxidize over time as well. Supposedly they undergo a hot cycle before startup or shutdown to burn off any gunk on them? If it's a thin film maf I would leave it alone as those are kind of delicate.

Just be easy with it and make sure whatever you spray it with doesnt have silicone in it and you'll be fine. I used the CRC maf cleaner on mine recently and it worked good.

Use the dedicated special MAF cleaner.
I have used brake cleaner, but the special MAF cleaner is the best.
By all means, clean that MAF!
Usually a better idle, smoother engine running, more pep, and better gas mileage are the result.
You have to squirt it a number of times from different angles.
Also, clean out your throttle body bore and butterfly plate at this time. You can use a less expensive solvent on a rag for this.
This is great maintenance for your car.

confirming the above----dedicated MAF cleaner-----I believe Ford used a teflon coated intake runner, so you do not want to remove this coating

That coating [from Ford or other mfrs.] is hard to detect and I can't really say what it does.
If there is build up, it seems best to clean it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back