1st UOA, 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7L, Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
scan002.jpg

This UOA represents oil that was in use from 5K - 10K miles. I believe the higher-than-normal silicon is from gasket sealants - This has been my experience with Toyota V8s. Although I agree I could probably extend the oil change interval to 6K, I won't because the truck is under warranty - and Toyota has gone to a 5K limit regardless of whether it is in normal or severe service - So I don't want to void the warranty by exceeding 5K.

Also - This engine is equipped with an engine oil cooler - as part of the optional trailer towing package. It's immediately above the oil filter. Are these made of copper internally? Perhaps that accounts for the slightly elevated (in my opinion) copper level.

Filter used was a Mobil 1 M1-209. Oil was Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30. I plan to try the new Amsoil filter soon - Do you think this will make a difference on the particle count? Any other comments?

Insolubles are low for engine size and mileage. So, filter was doing a good job. Oversized filter is also an option.
Oil coolers tend to be copper/aluminum. So, it is very possible that some of the wear isn't wear.

Do you have the particle count readings?

Yep, engine is still breaking in. I expect each additional UOA to look better then the previous.

This looks better breaking in than most vehicles that have much more mileage. Looks great. Only thing I would change is not wasting your money on the M1 EP oil for 5k miles. The classic version of Mobil 1 will do the same job for cheaper. I agree with your assessment that newer Toyotas tend to show higher silicon.

Quote:

Only thing I would change is not wasting your money on the M1 EP oil for 5k miles. The classic version of Mobil 1 will do the same job for cheaper.

I would not even use M1, use a synthetic blend. Here's Mobil Clean 5000 in my 4.7L with an interval of 4,502 miles. This was two years ago, so I don't know if the formulation's changed since then. You've got yourself a very low-wearing engine with this 4.7L V8. If you're looking for interesting UOAs, this engine will only bore you!

Don't waste your money, if you're not interested in extended ODIs, stick with whatever synthetic blend is on sale.

seq_uoa_oct05.jpg

it would be cool to see if you use a different syn like synpower, PP, quakerstate to see if those iron #'s come down. btw, toyota trucks and suvs are bad about filtration issues.. change the filter every 10k miles.. imo

Thank you all for the comments....Although probably overkill, I plan to stay with Mobil 1EP 5W-30. I tow a trailer on occasion, and want the extra reserve capacity, although with this engine, I could probably use Molasses and get a reasonable UOA!

Also have a Lexus GS-430 with the 4.3 liter V8, a cousin to the 4.7 liter in the Tundra. I have posted about 4 UOAs with that engine to this board. The last analysis was so good, there is hardly anything to analyze...Could almost pass for unused oil, after 7,500 miles!

mikeg5 - Can you elaborate on the filtration issues? I am on my 5th Toyota product, and frequent most of the Toyota forums and have not heard of this....

i was told by a reputable person on here that tacomas and 4-runners with the drop in air filters dont do so well with filtration.. yeah yours is a tundra i know, but i dont know how the air filter is in your truck but if your uoa's are showing good silicon #'s than i wouldnt worry just change the filter every 10k miles or so.. if its high then look for air leaks.just passing along what i was told..

alot of guys on the toyota forums dont do uoa's so really most are talking out of their butts when they say yeah i use M1 and its been GREAT!! well what they dont know is that i could be putting off high iron#'s bad silicone #'s and they wouldnt know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back