06 GMC Dmax 2500HD @25K w/FS2500 bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't change filter or anything just took a sample because I want to get an idea how long the FS's filters would last. I will test it again soon with another 5K on the oil and filters since I put on 4K in the 2 weeks since the test and haven't got my next sample kit yet. I was hope by starting the UOA at 15K my truck would be mostly broke in but that don't seem to be the case. What ya think?

Oil Use: 9,600 miles 25K on truck
Oil Type: Chevron Delo 400 15W/40
Make-up oil added: 1.5 qts

It is not unusual to find above average copper in newer GM engines, and the silicon may be a wear-in leftover as well. We will know more in the next sample but our expectations are, both these elements will read lower in the next sample. Iron was above average due to the longer than average oil use run. Our average Duramax oil sample has only 6,345 miles on it. You've put 9,600 on this oil and for the most past, things look just fine. The TBN was strong at 9.0, showing lots of active additive left. 1.0 is low. Check back in another 3,000 miles on this fill.

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 17
Copper 23
Lead 3
Tin 4
Molybdenum 235
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 97
Silicon 17
Sodium 5
Calcium 3345
Magnesium 12
Phosphorus 1181
Zinc 1482
Barium 0

Viscosity at 210 F = 74.7
Flashpoint in F = 415
Fuel % = Insolubles % = 0.3

Quote:

Another stellar report from a fairly new duramax engine. Is that cj-4 delo too? Higher than normal copper readings are pretty normal in any gm vehicle.

Even Isuzu diesels? I have heard of higher copper in GM gas engines, but is this really a trend in the diesels?

IIRC it is in the Dmax too its from GMs oil cooler the copper that is.

Quote:

IIRC it is in the Dmax too its from GMs oil cooler the copper that is.

Copper stated out High in my 03 LB7 Duramax too .. click on UOA in my signature ... seems to a be common trait .. Also keep an eye on your Iron level ... it should trend down too ...

The fact that GM diesels and GM gassers show high copper makes me a believer in the copper coming from the oil cooler. Given the different architectures and manufacters of the gas vs. diesel engines, the only common would seem to be oil coolers and perhaps babbit bearings, but if copper was coming off the babbit bearings, then I would expect to see high lead as well.

Thanks for the interesting input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back