Have Hyundai's reliability really improved???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

My wife's 04 Elantra just had the engine replaced under warranty at 53k miles due to excessive spark knock that the dealers have said was normal for the past year.

Tomorrow I go to pick up a new hub/bearing assembly for the one that has failed- which I think is lame for a car with less than 60k on it. But other than those two issues, the car is fairly decent.

I would be more inclined to purchase a new Sonata (we had one as a loaner) than another Elantra.

I would imagine the newly redesigned Elantra is a different animal than your wife's car too.

The 04 was a weird year, as Hyundai switched from MAP to MAF on some Elantras, then switched back to MAP for the next 2 model years. For the 07 redesign, they went back to MAF. Go figure.

Elantras do eat wheel bearings like candy. But it should be covered under your warranty. And there are some engines that are bad. GM has them, Honda has them, Toyota has them (3.0 V6, cough, cough).

I guess my overall point is that Hyundais are no longer cheap cars. Inexpensive, yes, not cheap.

Accent had wheel bearing failure on one side right around 70k miles but we replaced both anyways. Only $300 all said & done.

The way I see it, since almost no FWD car has a 50/50 weight ratio you can & should expect the front end components to wear faster. Now some cars are better at lasting then others but that doesn't mean they will.

I seriously doubt a wear item like bearings is covered under warrenty unless it has to do with the engine.

Quote:

Actually, I've been buying cars since 1953, and have only owned three that had mechanical(solid) lifters. They were a 1954 Ford V-8 that I owned for 5 years and 140,000 miles; it never required a valve adjustment; a 1967 Volkswagen bug, and a 1981 Honda Civic. Most years since 1960, I owned 2 cars and a truck. The Civic and a Ford Ranger with the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine are the only two engines I ever had that utilized timing belts. The Ranger belt was supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles and it broke at 61,000 miles. It was, fortunately, a non-interference engine. Most manufacturers seem to be moving away from timing belts. I believe that Nissan and Toyota have alm ost completely changed over to metal chains. My personal Nissans also all have hydraulic valve lifters.

Not you personally just the industry has had many cars with solid lifters.

Think of it this way, maybe keeping the solid lifters let them use a ridiculously long timing chain setup(all DOHC chains are) that may never break. If they used hydraulic maybe that meant a redesign involving a timing belt which just wasn't possible and not what the consumer wanted to hear in maintenance cost.

Honda recommended 15K valve clearance adjustments over a number of years. Didn't mean anyone had it done, and didn't hurt sales a bit. I can't imagine that valve adjustment is hard enough to cost $1k, unless you have to gauge the clearances, then withdraw the cams, then remove the caps and use shims to correct the running clearances, like some old bikes and some old Fiats. Is this the case on these Hyundai engines?

At our shop we see a fair number of Hyundais, and they are increasingly terrific vehicles. People who are still hung up on the early experiences with Hyundai are missing out on some great and reliable vehicles.

As an observation, when Honda and Toyota were conquesting the U.S. market and establishing their sterling reputations, they overbuilt and overengineered their vehicles. Once they achieved their goals, they retained the reliability, but decontented their vehicles (for example, fewer weatherseal moldings around doors, less sophisticated suspension systems, etc) in areas not immediately noticed by consumers.

Hyundai is right now in "market conquest" mode, and is overbuilding and overengineering their vehicles... and therefore, now is a great time to buy one. The resale value won't be subpar much longer...

I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Quote:

At our shop we see a fair number of Hyundais, and they are increasingly terrific vehicles. People who are still hung up on the early experiences with Hyundai are missing out on some great and reliable vehicles.

As an observation, when Honda and Toyota were conquesting the U.S. market and establishing their sterling reputations, they overbuilt and overengineered their vehicles. Once they achieved their goals, they retained the reliability, but decontented their vehicles (for example, fewer weatherseal moldings around doors, less sophisticated suspension systems, etc) in areas not immediately noticed by consumers.

Hyundai is right now in "market conquest" mode, and is overbuilding and overengineering their vehicles... and therefore, now is a great time to buy one. The resale value won't be subpar much longer...

I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Do you favor the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder models?

Even though the question was no intended for me, I'll share that I thought the 1.6l in Accent for fair for its purpose.

It had one aspect I liked more than Honda engines. It had a tq peak at a lower point. So in town, & passing on the highway was better then one might expect. I didn't care for the Mitsubishi influenced auto tranny though.

It had realitively low wear numbers as well for few UOA it had.

I always like a bigger V6 but I hear the newer I4 in the Elantras & Sonatas are fairly smooth whereas the 1.6l in the Accent was harsh if pushed.

Shim over bucket OHC valvetraisn still need to be checked and adjusted! That's why they have shims. Most Toyota's still have this style valvetrain and require adjustment; actually some of the Toyota's have no shims and require the camshafts to be removed and different sized lifters to be install. Do whoever said get a Camry instead of the Hyundai should rethink that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back