Oil recommendations for 1987 Buick Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

According to some rumors (or possible truths) it was faster than the Corvette at the time, they just understated the numbers so that the Corvette would still be their flagship model.

Yeah,they were the fastest production cars in the US.
cheers.gif

I think I would run a dino HDEO. I think I would worry about leaks with synthetic in a older car like that.

These cars share the same motor as the 89 Turbo Trans Am's I believe.

Mobil 1 was factory fill for the Trans Am's. Not sure what factory fill was for the GN's.

I have friend who has both an 89 TTA, which he uses Mobil 1 in, and an 87 GN which I believe he also uses Mobil 1 in. TTA has 25k miles, GN has 45k miles, both developed rear main seal leaks which he tells me is VERY common in these cars. Not sure if oil selection is a contributor.

I'm running Redline 15W-40 in my GN right now, with a bottle of VSOT. I like the idea of a thicker oil in a turbo application(but I could be wrong, who knows). I know of guys who run everything from 5w20 to 20w50 in their GN's. I think what we all agree on is a high ZDDP content oil, or an additive that boosts these numbers. Good luck with the car, they are a blast to drive.

I've also got an 87 GN - bought it new and stills looks it. I used conventional oil for the first 10k than syn oils all the way to now. It has 57,000 miles now. I used Mobil 1 up to about 40k and now use Redline and will continue to. Don't go real thick - too many people make the mistake of running a 15W/50 - too thick and just not needed. Plus it slows the turbo spool up time a wee bit. I'd use Mobil 1, Redline or any syn oil you prefer and go with it. I also run Mobil 1 tranny fluid, bu the way, with good results.

The j/c I took all of my auto classes had a prototype Grand National donated by G.M.with an off road emision sticker under the hood ,they are very easy to work on and have lots of power .Syn oil ?? not unless you plan to nascar race or run on the autobahn. It is probably the best hot rod G.M. put on the road other than the 1969 Z28 Camaro.

Quote:

Fastest in the 1/4 mile, then the Vette caught up.

Only because the GN went away...
wink.gif

Wouldn't a new Grand National based off the Z06 be cool? Forget about a Buick only drive train but who cares. A sinister all blacked out car with some vintage 80's cues (square tailights etc.) Yummy!
thumbsup.gif

BTW I saw an owner of a C5 vette "get on it" for the first time the other day! I was immpressed since they always seem to be putted around in.
confused.gif

Quote:

According to some rumors (or possible truths) it was faster than the Corvette at the time, they just understated the numbers so that the Corvette would still be their flagship model.

No rumors. That is 100% correct. GM's higher ups were not happy that a little V6 could beat up their top of the line Corvette. The same thing happened again when the Turbo TA came out a couple of years later and once again when Syclone S10 came out a few years after it. Gotta love turbos.
bowdown2.gif

I'd run Mobil 1 15W50 in it. The oil in those cars takes a beating from the turbo heat and also because the stock Buick oiling system is less than perfect for such a perfomance oriented car. It needs a thick, high quality synthetic in it to help keep it alive under extreme conditions.

Get a oil analysis of whatever oil you have in the engine and work from that. I like Rotella T 10w30 CJ4 as a good starting oil for this design. Conventional price, hard to find, but near synthetic performance.

TD

Quote:

I'd run Mobil 1 15W50 in it. The oil in those cars takes a beating from the turbo heat and also because the stock Buick oiling system is less than perfect for such a perfomance oriented car. It needs a thick, high quality synthetic in it to help keep it alive under extreme conditions.

I agree. Run Mobil 1 15W50 (regular Mobil 1 and not the Extended Performance.....you can get it at Walmart for $22 for the 5 quart jug) and a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Gosh, I loved that car when I was in high school. As a student, there was NO way I could afford one. Leave it to GM to stop producing one of the best cars ever made.

I have noticed various diesel oils both synthetic and nonsynthetic recommended for the Grand National. Are there certain advantages a diesel synthetic oil would offer compared with other synthetics?

Well, you had 'da man tell you what he would start with so I would go with that. A better detergency package is one cornerstone of a good, diesel-rated oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back