Bendix vs. Raybestos brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to do the brakes on my wife's 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3.1L. I'm replacing four sets of rotors and pads. We're not going to have the car much longer, so I don't want to spend a ton of money. But I do want to get quality, middle-of-the-road rotors and pads.

I was thinking of either Bendix TitaniuMetallic or Raybestos Professional Grade. Preferences? Experience with either or both? What about rotors? I thought about going with the match, meaning Bendix pads & rotors, Raybestos pads & rotors, etc.

Thanks for the help!
grin.gif

Just how long are you keeping the car ? This can mean the difference between installing better parts and keeping the car a year and then selling it or, using less expensive materials and saving a few bucks so that you can sell the vehicle in the next couple of months. The latter is what most people would do if selling soon.

We will be donating the car to a local church's cars ministry at the end of the year. Single mother's that go through their finance classes are eligible to receive a car upon completion. Then the mechanics involved go over each car top to bottom and fix anything that's wrong. This is why I want to put on some decent brakes. We've done this in the past and it gives us a sense of helping others. Hope this makes sense.

No need to buy matching brand rotors. Raybestos is hit and miss because they have US made rotors and now Chinese made rotors. They still haven't changed the pricing so you'll be paying premium dollars on a mystery.

If you look at the cheap line of napa they have thier own brand rotors made in china (repackaged DANA brand) they seem to be good quality without cheaping out on thickness of rotors between the vents. Inexpensive and good.

Bendix or raybestos will work just fine. The professional grade pads should have a part number PGD xxx C. Those are semi ceramic and work extremely well and breakin very quick. I use them alot on many makes and have virtually no comebacks due to noise or dust.

KC Strip,
alanu has offered good information and I would follow this advise. And thank you for donating your car. I have given away 3 vehicles in good condition to those in need.

Thanks for the advice alanu. I went with Bendix TitaniuMetallic pads and Duralast rotors. The Duralast rotors were a bit cheaper than either the Raybestos or Bendix rotors. I looked them over and they look fine to me (and all the options for rotors I was considering were made in China).

Char Baby -

I appreciate the thanks. As you well know (from your three donated vehicles), the real thanks come from people we'll never know or meet. It is our family's privilege to bless others as we are truly blessed indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back