Oil Recomendation, 2001 Volvo V70 2.4L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all!

A friend of mine recently bought a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4L turbo for his wife - it has just under 100k miles on it. It's driven spiritedly.

Generally, I'd recomend Wal-Mart SuperTech Synthetic to him and be done with it - he's not interested in extended OCI's and won't go past 3k/4k. For the price and a 3k OCI, I don't think you can beat it without a BOGO or sale.

But then, I got to thinking about the turbo. With a turbo, should he be looking for a Group IV/V oil instead of a Group III synthetic like SuperTech Synthetic? Turbos are pricey to overhaul/replace.

Thanks for the input!

thanks much,
ben

I have a 2001 S60 T-5 with 76,000 miles. I have been using M-1, but will change to the German Castrol 0w30 discussed in the European and Import Motor Oils section. I am currently in the cleaning phase of an Auto-RX treatment. After that the GC will go in. I have one OC of green and several gold stashed. Take a look at the GC info sticky in the European section before you make a recommendation to him.

Two suggestions.

First, find a forum for like-owned vehicles to see what experience others have had.

Second, I would look at VW/Audi recommended/spec'd oils to their 502 and 503 spec's. Do some study on them and their history to see how it may apply.

Counter point would be that ST 10W30 Synth is ACEA A3 rated (according to jug) which very few _W30's are. This means it has good High Temp Shear Test numbers (HTST), something I would like for a turbo. Although I don't consider it inexpensive, it is available everyday/same price.

Your 3-4K OCI sounds good starting point for a vehicle that may need a little cleaning if history is unknown or long OCI's were used. I would even consider a shorter first OCI.

Then start to watch oil consumption to see if something thicker may be called for.

The M1 0W40 is really standout, one of the most spec'd in the world but $6/qt at WM. I'd want to run longer OCI's to offset the cost.

Wife's 96 850 Turbo lived just over 10 years with Red Line 5w-30 and is now on RLI 10w-30 with mileage at about 180k, current on Calif smog and runs like new. The oil level on the dip stick does not move between changes. I know it must consume a little oil but I can't read the difference between changes, maybe it moves a 16th of an inch. Mobil 1 0w-40 was tried with bad results. It sheared and I dumped it early.

The turbo is a water-cooled turbo so oil selection is not that critical. Your ST recommendation would probably be just fine. The manufacturer's minimum recommendation is conventional 10W-30 oil at 7500 mile OCIs. I run the Mobil 1 10W-30 in mine, but am considering the Amsoil 10W-30 ATM also. Mobil 1 ranks high among the Volvo enthusiast crowd. I would only use the 40 weight if consumption is an issue. The newer Volvos seem to do just fine on the 30 weights.

Good evening all!

Thanks much for the recommendations. I will pass them along to him. With the information that this is a water-cooled turbo, it seems that SuperTech Syn 10W-30 is a very good choice for this car.

thanks much!
-ben

Quote:

Two suggestions.

First, find a forum for like-owned vehicles to see what experience others have had.

Great idea. Volvospeed and Swedespeed are two good ones.

Second, I would look at VW/Audi recommended/spec'd oils to their 502 and 503 spec's. Do some study on them and their history to see how it may apply.

At 3-4 kmile OCIs, any full synthetic should be fine. Tell him to avoid conventionals if significantly over 3k - 3500. Anything 5k or over and a synthetic is a must. An A3 oil is also a good indicator. The turbo IS relatively hard on oil, even if it is water cooled.

I'd give it the ARX treatment first, though, as many of these have lived on longer dealer dino runs and are not as clean as they should be.

And use good filters on the whites. FCP Groton has good German filters by the case for cheap. Others here may have 'em even cheaper.

Don't forget the tranny, too.

V70 Wagons are nice rides.

Hey all,

Thanks for the continued input. He's sold on synthetic and a 3.5 to 4k max OCI - especially when SuperTech Synthetic is just slightly more than conventional oil around here. I'm not sure what he decided to do about filters - it's a cartridge type (like my Tundra). I think he found a Purolator locally, but it was expensive - $11 maybe? Something cheaper in bulk I'm sure would be welcome. (I do that with the Tundra - $4 each when you buy a case from Toyota)

Quote:

V70 Wagons are nice rides.

It's *very* nice. There is a road where we work that is quite twisty and bumpy. He drove the V70 down there and that car sucked up the bumps like few cars I've ever ridden it. My Tundra bounces all over it, even with the TRD package.

And it's *fast*. It goes like greased lightning and seems to do it effortlessly, like the engine isn't even straining...

later,
b

Yeah they are fun! FCPGroton already mentioned, IPDUSA or even ebay are good places to buy the filters. Mann (OEM) or Mahle are preferred.

*New Member Alert*
Subject Volvo is mine, and I am mighty appreciative of this great input and this site. A sample kit is on the way from Blackstone and when it arrives, I'll change the oil and establish a baseline with the sample. I don't want this car to end up like the '95 850 that is in my backyard waiting for a junkyard motor.

Quote:

*New Member Alert*
Subject Volvo is mine, and I am mighty appreciative of this great input and this site. A sample kit is on the way from Blackstone and when it arrives, I'll change the oil and establish a baseline with the sample. I don't want this car to end up like the '95 850 that is in my backyard waiting for a junkyard motor.

welcome.gif
What happened to the '95?

Also my 1996 turned in a stellar UOA with Amsoil ACD SAE 30. I may quit being a flopper and stick with this oil. But as stated, with a nice large sump and a good oil, your engine won't die by oil choice.....

Quote:

What happened to the '95?

I joked with him one day that it was the FRAM filter that killed it.
laugh.gif
But then he looked and told me it was a WIX on there when it died so it wasn't funny anymore.

How many miles did you have on that engine? Like 220,000 miles? I'm looking forward to the "cause of death" too...

later,
ben

220,000 miles. It had oil and water. I had changed the oil Saturday before the Friday of the failure. O'reliey (Warren, right?) oil and a Wix filter. The guy at the shop (who told me not to spend a dime on the car) surmised a bad head gasket. Anyway, one morning in November on the way to work, it became a powerful oil and coolant pump for moving oil and coolant out the tailpipe. Got me to the office, though. Faithful to the end, she was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back