New oil additive test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a fleet maintenance center we created some labels that identified a product called Oilmax. It listed some info and we pasted them on bottles. We filled the bottles with Motorcraft 5w-20 engine oil and pink dye used for chasing leaks that also has a strong aroma. We picked ten drivers that take really good care of their company cars and are known for their knowledge of maintenance among the mechanics and management staff. They were briefed on the new Oilmax additive that improves mileage and protect you engine like no engine oil alone can do. They were told it was not a CP and that it had a special boron attitive complex and gave them enough info for them to google behind our backs. They would told to fill the gas tank from the same exact pump for 2k miles and keep accurate records including driving conditions experienced, calculations at the pumb and info feed back from on-board readouts. Oilmax turned out to be everything claimed on the label. The lowest increase in mileage was 2% and the best was 5.2%. We were busted by one driver that did a voa on the additive and we were able to shut him up before he ratted us out. that we got. This test was not science but we did it because lots of drivers come to us with requests to use this or that additive and I did not want to alway appear like the grinch. Our test proves that it is difficult to evaluate additives without a broad base of experience and lab work with careful evaluation. I do believe that these drivers were honest and careful and that they got exactly the numbers that they reported. I don't think that Oilmax and the engine was not the cause. It was Oilmax and the driver.

good test shows why a lot of seat of the pants improvements for mileage or even noises are only in the mind.
bruce

We tried to let them down with grace. They were not angry at us. They were actually disappointed that it was not a real additive. It smelled and looked like one and I guess you could say it performed like one except for one important detail. There was no money exchanged. I know that makes us a disgrace to the additive marketing industry but we will try to live it down. My wife told me, as punishment I can’t go window shopping at Pep Boys or Harbor Freight this coming week end. She considers what I did to those drivers especially the two women, to be very serious and the punishment should fit the crime. This additive stuff is tough business. If you can’t screw the customers you’re a failure.

Excellent post.
thumbsup.gif
I think this explains 99% of the claims on here 'this or that synthetic or additive increased my mpg X%'. The placebo effect.

When you are looking for a mpg change it is hard not to find it. People subconciously change their driving style. Don't believe me? Get a scangauge.
grin.gif

If all additives are so bad, then go buy some gasoline or oil for your car without them.
Of course additives can be good and very beneficial.
Many people test products on their cars with no bias, and come up with a few winners.

Quote:

Many people test products on their cars with no bias, and come up with a few winners.

Many people may think so, but few people can actually do it. See, when you've added something to your gas or your oil, you know it. And try as you otherwise might, this knowledge *will* influence your driving. Maybe you'll get better mileage, maybe worse, but it probably had everything to do with you.

This test was not to condemn add-in additives but to gain perspective in their application. As stated above, add-hoc testing is difficult to understand even if you are the tester. Many people, me included, find what they are looking for and then figure out how they got there. An example of my interest in things new is the Cermax test I tried to do. The pieces never came together. The more I reached out the more the Cermax people clouded the picture. The answer for my Cermax test is that I have no idea what it is or what it does. I’m not stupid but this product has me stumped. Oilmax has been taken off the market, unless an investor shows up. So it’s time to move on. Has anyone used Lubro Moly Ceratec? It’s made by a real company and apparently has a German TUV approval.

Thanks for the thread Lonnie. Placebo effect has been used for ages and the results are truely mysterious. But you can't tell me that a cleaned motor doesn't allow for an envirnonment whereby any oil doesn't perform better over its normal drain interval. Any current oil available is geared towards lubricating qualities. But none of them clean their own sins in regards to cleanliness.

This oil additive stuff is crazy. Two of the people that were in the test, that found out what Oilmax was just asked if we had any more. They wanted to try it in their personal cars. And it does not stop there. Today I got calls from mechanics asking if I had any more bottles. They were told that we were conducting a test and wanted in. I think I'm going to go out behind the barn and eat a bush.

Nobody wants to believe that their driving style is at fault for the fuel usage (good or bad) in their vehicle. Everyone wants a magic potion to miraculously improve gas mileage.

I tried Lonnie's psychology with my wife. She has horrible driving habits as far as conserving fuel. Her foot is on the accelerator all the way up to the stop sign then instantly to the brake. She knows what her bad habits are but I guess it is too hard to change.

I changed the oil yesterday in her car and told her I used synthetic oil that would get her better gas mileage. We will see if she subconsciously changes her driving style and actually does get better mileage.

A better gas mileage meter?
How about one that you enter the price of gas and then the meter reads an instantaneous $/hour.

"instantaneous $/hour" That's an excellent idea! Maybe when she gets on it before it's warmed up and it starts flashing $40 or $50 per hour it would get her attention.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea: I love my wife, she is great. We just have different value systems when it comes to mechanical devices. And sometimes money.

That is why I like this board. People question said claims by different companies and smoke out the imposter's.
City driving with lots of stop and go makes it almost impossible to see if the mileage increase is there or not.
Example of the magical new additive Oilmax and said drivers perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back