2006 HHR oil amount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used 2006 HHR LT2 2.4L and did my first oil change last night. When I drained the oil out it appeared to be quite a bit of oil, the owner’s manual says it takes 5 quarts, it looked like 6 to me based of the level in my drain pan. So I put 5 quarts of M1 5w30 in it and backed it off the ramps and checked the oil. 1 quart low on the stick, I waited 5 min. checked it again. 1 quart low. Does any one have one of these that take 6 quarts? Or is it possible that this one has the wrong dip stick.

It's supposed to be 5, according to both the owners and service manuals. The factory dipstick should have a yellow handle and a braided steel cable with the level indicator at the end of that cable.

The PO didn't replace the oil pan with some aftermarket piece, did he? I've heard of owner's manuals being off on oil capacities, but a whole quart is pretty far off.

The dipstick does have a yellow handle and a braided steel cable with the level indicator at the end. The oil pan looks stock, I bought it from a Chevy dealer with 16k on it, they did the previous oil change, and it was at the full mark the 4k miles I drove it. This is pretty wierd deal. I wonder if I have a short dip stick? I'll measuer it and post a length if some one could verify the same length.

The factory manual is probably wrong. I work at a dealership and with most of the V-8 trucks the manual calls for 6 qts. It takes almost 7. So fill to the full level and no worries.

I'd go with the dipstick.

My V-6 Dakota calls for 4 quarts in the manual, but it takes 4-1/2 quarts to hit the "full" mark. Technically, it's not low if I only put in 4 quarts, but I hate doing an oil change and not filling the thing up completely....
laugh.gif

Well it could easily be that the manual is wrong but on that same note we are talking about GM. GM is notorious for installing incorect oil indicator's aka dipstick. Their is a TSB for my wifes 1997 Buick Lasaber for this. The fix is to replace the tube and indicator. I simply remarked the dipstick with a file after adding 4.5 quarts and a fresh filter. o more issue's.

All Ecotec's spec 5qts of oil for a drain/fill. The cable dipsticks with the sawtooth bob at the end can be funky to get a reading. It can take a few stab 'n wipes to get a good read with new/clean oil in there.

Joel

Place the rippled side of the dipstick facing towards the engine to get the proper reading.

If you have the rippled side facing the front of the car you'll get a different reading and it will appear to be overfilled.

I must admit it is a very weird dipstick, I've never seen one like it before. BradC thanks, they should probably put that in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back