Oil for a 2002 Ford Taurus with 270000 kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father recently purchased a mint 2002 Ford Taurus with a 3.0L engine that has 270000 kms on it. Engine is in great condition not burning any oil. The previous owner has been using conventional oil but now that my father owns the car he is not sure of continuing with conventional oil or switching to either regular HM or full synthetic, he has heard that switching oils that have been used in the engine for most of its life and going to synthetic can cause seal leakage. So he's puzzled at which oil is better for an engine with such high mileage? He wants this car to last a long time.

motomaster oils are the last oil I would put into my car actually no autolab would be so second to last

The 3.0 vulcan is an outstanding pushrod motor from ford. I have a 2000 taurus with 193000 miles with no engine work. The engine uses zero oil between 4000 mile changes. I really like motorcraft 5w-30. This engine is very easy on oil. Valvoline Maxlife would also work very well.

Quote:

motomaster oils are the last oil I would put into my car actually no autolab would be so second to last

What if that most of those 270k ran on cheap oil such as motomaster aka shell?

I doubt if autolab is produced by Safety-kleen. So, I'd steer clear of their reused oil. Tech2k is okay I believe.

Relax, you need to look at the whole picture. A 2002 with 270km on it was used a lot, if in good outside condition then inside engine is probably good also.

Determine a maintenace strategy that works best for your dad. Look at how many miles in 6 month and 1 year. If you really want it to last get him involved. Maybe with 3month. Unless it is my hobby, 1 year I would forget what I did or planned to do.

Since we want to develop habits go short OCI with a dino or a inexpensive blend (we have Conoco TropArtic 5W30 blend at WM for $1.68.qt in US ). Motorcraft filters are good also.

Most important is changing, not which oil.

Last edited:
These are outstanding motors. My father has two of them...one is a 2000 Taurus with over 200K miles and the other is a 2004 with over 60K.

Honestly, if he's not burning or leaking any oil with that many miles on the odometer, any quality conventional or blend should suit you fine.

Dependable, long-lasting domestic cars? Say it isn't so. /sarcasm

I would use 5w-30 Max Life or Motorcraft also. The 3.0 Vulcan (I have one) frankly isn't real hard on oil and it won't matter much what you use as long as you change it regularly.
It's a low-stress engine that's overbuilt and doesn't make enough power to hurt itself.
I have three UOA's, M1 0w-20, Motorcraft 5w-20, PP 5w30, and they're all about the same. Bottom-line best wear numbers were with the PP 5w-30 but they were good with each of those oils.

I have a 2001 Taurus with 90K and it gets PP 5W-30. I've used a couple of other oils in it and there has been no consumption with any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back