(Pictures) SuperTech oil filter # ST3675

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some picture of a SuperTech oil filter for the Chevy/GMC 5.3L vortec motor.

The filer media was not glued together at the ends. I could stick a tooth pick sthrough the opening.

The filter end caps looked like felt type material.

The rest of the filter is good quality, but the most important part is junk and useless.

267496298.jpg

267482881.jpg

267494027.jpg

If it were in service a filter with it's media ends looking like this would still filter most of the oil, just not all of the oil. The effect of unsealed media is that the filter is always in partial by-pass. Not good.

I would be interested to see what Champ Labs would say about this if you were to contact them. When I found a defective Motorcraft filter, made by Purolator, neither party seemed to care. I've not found a defective Champ Labs filter yet, so you're ahead of me there.

I took a lot of peoples word on this site that the ST filters are good so I started using them. Perhaps I should second guess that?

Quote:

What a pice of [censored]!!! ,i'd rather use a FRAM
blush.gif
,,scratch
that........ no i wouldn't
grin.gif

LOL!!! . . .
laugh.gif
You guys are busting me up tonight . . .
laugh.gif

Quite a bit of contrast between that and the WIX huh?
grin.gif

I have cut open several ST "champ" filters after several thousands of miles of use and they were perfect. Last one was 8K and was helt together perfectly. Perhaps just a lemon...

I've cut open a few ST's. I've never personally seen a defect. I like ST filters ..and Ecores. Any filter can have a defect. All Champ filters will have the gap in the seam pleat. They use humans to push them together in the pre-curing/heating/bonding stage.

f26c2249.jpg

Don't worry, if they didn't get that one right, maybe they will get the next one. Makes the cartridge filters look like a good idea.

Quote:

Where's Bill in Utah? He should be here any second now to defend the value of SuperTech filters. Mr $5 oil change. . .
laugh.gif

You know, I just spent 20 mins typing up a reply incl FACTS links of photos and such.

I've cut open more filters than you'll EVER use.

Never had a problem.

But who cares. With the way this board is (has) going/gone, I'm wasting my time.
pat2.gif

So nevermind.

Everyone *NEEDS* to spend ATLEAST $10 per oil filter to get any filter worth putting on their engine.

And never cut one open because it will never have a problem.

See, I can have the mindset of a lot of BITOG members.

Amazing.

The teardown of Ecore I remember...the media ends were potted, not a felt pad.

My initial reaction was to question source of supply but it's definitely an ecore design.

I think it's wise to study (or do a) teardown analysis on your particular filter P/N. Even within a Brand quite a range can be found.

3-5K OCI ...sure. Best for the $ ...not sure.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly all Bill's filter autopsies were done on non e-core designs, an important distinction. I don't know that we've had many e-core autopsy results reported here at all, from Bill or anyone else. I myself have cut open a few new e-cores and wasn't impressed as I too found the bonding of the media to the endcaps to be a little weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back