Oversize drain plug for oil pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my mechanic's recommendation i purchased an 'oversize' drain plug for my oil pan. The threads on the pan were starting to become stripped. The 'oversize' was especially made for my 91 civic oil pan. It's meant to be cheaper alternative to getting a whole new oil pan.

Anyone ever do this? Is it standard practice? Should i be watching the oil very closely? Making sure it doesn't leak out? (not like i don't have other reasons to be watching it closely)

I don't want it to all of a sudden go on me and leave me stuck.

Thanks Eddie.
th_559thumb.gif

Several years ago some i let some guy put an oversized plug in my honda. It failed and i might have froze the engine had i not noticed. But i'm thinking that that bum just grabbed what he had lying around as opposed to one specifically designed for my car.

If it's the right size oversize drain plug for its intended application, it'll cut its own threads as you install it. There shouldn't be any kind of preparation needed. They work similar to self tapping sheet metal screws.

If it's the right oversize drain plug, it'll cut its own threads as you install it. There shouldn't be any kind of preparation needed. They work similar to self tapping sheet metal screws.

oversize will work.

Timeserts are the best for alot of applications. Especially honda's but $$$ compared to a cheap oversize plug.

http://www.timesert.com/

Its a thread you insert. Then you get a small bolt so you do not use the existing threads on the oil pan. Since its one piece insert its not like a heli coil.

typically I will paint pen on the bottom of the oil pan

OS plug!!!

This will show any lube boy that he's got to be very careful. If you smart you'd mention this all the time to any lube shop. If they use plastic washers you better make sure the plug doesn't walk out of the pan. I see this every day I work on a car thats been to one of those quick lubes.

at every shop i have worked at we have refused to do oil changes on cars with over-sized drain plugs. where i live in sue happy California, you have to refuse work like that. we will tell people that if they want us to change it, that they need a new oil pan. then we mark the pan so if they try to come back at a different time, the people working then will know.

Quote:

typically I will paint pen on the bottom of the oil pan

OS plug!!!

This will show any lube boy that he's got to be very careful. If you smart you'd mention this all the time to any lube shop.

That certainly sounds like a smart idea. I'll tell the oil guy before he changes it next tiem.

Quote:

...If they use plastic washers you better make sure the plug doesn't walk out of the pan. I see this every day I work on a car thats been to one of those quick lubes.

I don't understand what you mean. How exactly does the plug "walk out of the pan?"

plastic washers typically compress in a short duration of time. This is why lube shop commonly paint the drain plug to act as a method of retaining the drain plug if and when the plastic washer causes a loss in "torque"

You can torque a drain plug an "x" amount and next time you remove it you can almost put NO effort with a wrench and the drain plug will come off. Plastic washers are an absolute NO NO.

I use to have a wall of shame at my shop and would display alot of the plastic washers that have gone oval on the ID. Oil leaked and caused "questionable" oil problems with the engine. I NEVER use them.

alanu - I experienced that when I had my oil changed at the dealership for the last time. They used one of those plastic gaskets and I took the drain plug off with my fingers! Stocked up and bought 55 OEM drain plug washers. Never again, plastic washers!
laugh.gif

Quote:

plastic washers typically compress in a short duration of time. This is why lube shop commonly paint the drain plug to act as a method of retaining the drain plug if and when the plastic washer causes a loss in "torque"

You can torque a drain plug an "x" amount and next time you remove it you can almost put NO effort with a wrench and the drain plug will come off. Plastic washers are an absolute NO NO.

I use to have a wall of shame at my shop and would display alot of the plastic washers that have gone oval on the ID. Oil leaked and caused "questionable" oil problems with the engine. I NEVER use them.

I replace all of my aftermarket magnetic plugs with a new copper washer every few oil changes.

call me cheap but I would use an aluminum/copper washer for years of oil change service. If I have new ones I'll use them but old ones will work 100% better than a plastic new one.

I also use rubber/steel washers since I have a better variety that will fit majority of all drain plug sizes. Those last a long time but not as long as a copper or aluminum washer.

Gm's have a stupid drain plug with a facory rubber O ring. I have to buy replacement rubber pieces or I'll just order an OE one when the original plug looks questionable.

I've seen an interesting concept in a catalog. It's a drain plug quick fix that has a spring-loaded claw on the oil end, and a rubber-backed threaded flat surface on the other end.

Oversized drain plugs work perfectly. They are basically the same size but bigger and will self retap the threads. Some are tapered so only the final couple turns cleans, fixes, chases the thread.
Makes you wonder if a plug manufacturer failed the tolerance range for newly made plugs and accidently created 'oversized plugs' for repairing weakening pan threads.

Most autoparts stores sell them based on thread size.

I've installed dozens and have NEVER seen one leak.

Seems that many vehicles serviced by certain fastjipkwicklubes need these when the owner decides to become a do-it-yourselfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back