homemade pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.
im a sucker for pizza but rarely buy the stuff, its just too greezy so when i feel the craving i usually whip up a batch....

HPIM0101a.jpg

I see onion, mushrooms, olives and lots of sausage, I think. How about adding something green?

PS: Some supermarkets sell fresh pie for one pizza in little plastic sacks for a bout a $1 each. I baggie is good for one medium to large size pizza. Of course, making the pie from scratch is really simple, too.

I had a panino for dinner tonight. It was filled with Black Forest ham, Emmentaler cheese, sautéed onion and sliced tomatoes. I was too hungry to take a picture!

Yeah, the crust is the difference between a magnificent pizza and just cheese-on-toast!

...you gonna share your crusty secrets?
doc

the crust is just a 4# bread recipe from the betty crocker cookbook. i usually like to load it up wit' onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and the works but didn't have some of the stuff on hand thus the bland looking pies.

Trader Joes sells a decent white crust for 99 cents and whole grain for a bit more. Within a few tries I was able to rival the local gourmet pizza place (The Cheese Board in Berkeley, $18 pies)I like it margherita style.

TJ's yeast dough baggie is okay. Unless you are in a real hurry there's almost no reason to buy that, though. Yeast dough (flour, yeast, salt, bit olive oil, spices optional) is super-simple and quick to make. I always make twice the dough I need and freeze the second half as thin pattie. That way I can quickly make another pizza or calzone. I just take the dough from the freezer in the morning and put it in the fridge until the evening.

In any case, homemade pizza is generally better than a good restaurant pizza. The only thing that might make a pizza even better is a wood-fired oven. While I unfortunately don't have that, a pizza baking "stone" (for example, Sonoma Williams sells it) does wonders for making a very good crust.

Quote:

oh - i forgot to add that i really dont like spending $20 a pie

How much??!? Here, that would buy you at least two large pies! There's a pizza joint that has the best pizza I ever tasted, and a large 16" with 3 toppings runs $9.99 With a pitcher of beer and tip you can still have change leftover from a 20 dollar bill, and be so full you're almost sick.

Quote:

With a pitcher of beer and tip you can still have change leftover from a 20 dollar bill, and be so full you're almost sick.

And that's of course the primary goal of a meal: almost throwing up.
wink.gif

Quote:

And that's of course the primary goal of a meal: almost throwing up.
wink.gif

You've eaten my cooking?
Nah, just kidding. I'm quite a good cook.
My point was you get so much food and it's so good that restraint is thrown right out the window, and you'll eat till you almost burst.

This pizza place that I mentioned...I went there with a friend and his 15 y/o daughter once, and in the middle of eating, she got up, unbuttoned her top button on her pants, and in the most hillbilly-ish voice, said, "I shoulda worn my eatin' pants!". I still can't keep a straight face when I think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back