Honda Brake Fluid vs. Non-Honda Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had problems with using/mixing honda brake fluid and non-honda brake fluid such as castrol's GTLMA brake fluid?

The Acura Integras I had owned (years 1990 and 1994 integras) the brake master cylinders went out relatively quickly (around 60K miles or so) and I know I had used non-honda to top off or replace the fluid in the master cylinder (using a turkey baster).

Just my bad luck?

Should I just stick with Honda Brake Fluid? (relatively expensive since I want to flush the whole system).

Just go with the DOT4 or DOT3 stuff that is spec'd by Honda (check your manual). There is nothing special about the Honda Fluid. Do NOT buy DOT5, it is incompatible with your system and will cause damage.

How are you doing the bleed?

Good deal, Just make sure you don't let the reservoir go dry. I've used a motive power bleeder and was really happy with it.

One tip you might use is to buy a different color fluid. I used ATE super blue racing fluid so I could tell when I had bled the line all the way. Worked like a charm, but it was expensive. I figure I will alternate between the 2 fluid colors so it only hits me in the pocketbook every other flush.

Turkey baster out the reservoir (leave the tubing submerged) and refill with new fluid first. This will save you a lot of time under the vehicle. This is how I do it with my hand vacuum system.

I know Hondas need specific power steering fluid. Who knows what they have up their sleeve about the brakes? Maybe in this case, just pay a little more and get their particular sauce.
Normally, aftermarket is as good or better, but this time I'd get what they call for, exactly. You won't get hurt.

Unless something has changed on newer Hondas, there never has been any specific Honda only brake fluid. All specs I have seen have been simply to use a DOT3 or 4 spec fluid. Of course Honda has a bottled brake fluid, but there is nothing special about it TIKO, unlike the PS fluid.

Honda recommends their "Heavy Duty DOT3" fluid, but any DOT3/DOT4 fluid replaced regularly will work fine. Replacing the fluid regularly is the key.

I use Prestone DOT3, but it is only because I can get it for $4/qt at Walmart.

DOT 5 or DOT 5.1? Those two are not similar in any regard exept that they're both a liquid at room temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back