2004 Toyota Tacoma Automatic Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
'04 Tacoma automatic equipped with A44D transmission. Owners manual calls for Dexron-III. We know that fluid has been replaced and there seems to be all sorts of options.

Castrol WEB site shows their "Import Multi-Vehice ATF" as being in step with Toyota's Type T, T-III; T-IV.

Would anyone know if the T-III fluid was Toyota's version of Dexron-III?

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF Data Sheet at URL below.

Thanks for your time.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

i have an 02 tacoma that calls for dexIII and i use valvoline maxlife dex\merc. its rated for dexIII, merc V, and all T's for toyota... you may want to call about your truck. i thought starting in 03 they went to T-IV.. but double check

I recently flushed my 2000 Tundra (Dex II/III) with AMSoil ATD Torque Drive (Allison Castrol Transynd clone). I think it is a legitimate Dex III replacement upgrade that you should have no concerns about for 50-100K mile service life. I'll never use Toyota ATF's again. They are marginal lubricants at best.

Quote:

you may want to call about your truck. i thought starting in 03 they went to T-IV.. but double check

As stated above - '04 Tacoma owners manual calls for Dexron-III and not IV.

____ i dunno i just know T-III is Very different that DEXIII (as what the toyota service guys said)
if your truck calls for DEXIII then find something thats compatible with DEXIII.. its not rocket science lol.. the Valvoline maxlife would be an upgrade from regular dex III

oh ok then stick with DEXIII products. dont try other things you may mess something up. the valvoline maxlife is a bump up from regular dex3. you can try other compatibles with full syns like redline and mobile 1 but read and make sure its a dex fluid. if not you will be sorry lol

Quote:

if they are marginal at best then why do they run over 200k miles?? with little to no issues?? just curious

I only have 130K miles on my Tundra, but was never quite happy with the way it shifted from 2-3 gear (occassional hard lock ups) and ocassional clunks when I would come to a complete stop. This vehicle has only seen Toyota ATF's until recently switching to AMS ATD. Also, I have never seen a UOA of Toyota ATF that does not shear very quickly. I also visited Tundrasolutions.com recently and read numerous posts by fellow Tundra owners of similar vintage and noticed that many had transmissions replaced, sometimes twice, and sometimes before the warranty ran out. I think you are fortunate to have one that lasted 200K using Toyota DEX III. The clincher has to be when a Toyota service advisor told me that switching to AMSoil ATD was a great idea, even though I just paid for him to do a Toyota ATF flush 10K miles ago. I told him I was not satisfied at all with their ATF, and he agreed that the switch should do the trick.
Anyways, that's where I'm coming from.

USe any brand of synthetic or dino DEX III ATF. If you planon keeping it a long time I would start serviceing it with either M1 ATF or Dex-VI!

i dont use toyota atf's.. i have been draining and filling with valvoline maxlife atf dexIII.. i think its more your tundra's poorly built trannies.. not the fluid.. there are thousands of yotas out there with yota fluids that are well over 200k miles..

T-III is Toyota's equivalent spec for DexronIII. Don't let anyone tell you its different.
T-IV added HFM smooth shifts, timing and slip control, and longer life additive package to the Dexron III spec. I've seen a bunch of dealers blindly use T-IV in place of DexronIII with no apparent ill effects. If anything, the transmission shifts better.

Since you can use Dexron III, just about any newer ATF can be used.

If you want to know if a fluid is marginal, just look at the UOAs. I don't think that there are ANY outstanding OEM ATF UOAs from ANY automaker. Not every transmission hits 200k with no problems. For eveyone vehicle that does, I'll find an owner with the same that smoked the tranny before 30k.

If money isn't an issue, use any of the full synthetic ATFs. Mobil1 and RoyalPurple are easy store finds these days. Redline D4, Amsoil ATF/ATD,.... and others can be found online easy enough. Dexron VI is al$o a choice.

If you want a cost effective upgrade to the DexronIII, any Mercon-V or other blended synth multivehicle ATF can be used.

Since DexronIII/Mercon licensing has expired and isn't tested/police'd by Ford/Gm anymore, some members are wrongly created 'fear' against the new equivalents. If you do use a cheap Dex/Merc equivalent, stick with one of the name brand fluids. Another option is the TES-389 certified fluids, which mimics the DexronIII-H/Mercon specs.

Adjust your ATF OCI based on transmisison family history, driving style, fluid chosen, upgrades performed, and flush type at your intervals.

well if t-3 was toyota's name for dexIII then why in the ____ does my truck say DEXIII rather than T-3?? its bc they are different!! i have had numerous toyota mechanics tell me that its different hence the reason why you dont see T-3 in my manual. it specifically states DEXIII. not T3......

Go to the dealer and buy a bottle of T-3. That'll answer your question.
And, noone said that you must use a TIII fluid.

Rarely do mechanics know the details about oils that we are discussing here. A VOA on TIII might shed some light.

A mechanical at a dealer doesn't have a clue about why something is or isn't in a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back