Will a thicker oil help with by blow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will a thicker oil help with by blow?

I have had a few guy's tell me that it wont help at all so I'm just wondering what you guy's think.

Lets say the engine is not blowing smoke, not using that much oil, but very fumy through the top covers.

It might, however, some studies have shown that a 20wt oil produces a thicker film around the top of the rings than a 40wt. Give it a shot.

It sounds to me like you're having a positive crankcase pressure. The pressure should be the same as the outside world. (I think) the PCV system is supposed to keep the engine vented.
dunno.gif

Some oils have a lower evaporation rate.....Redline being one.
A lower evaportation rate results in less oil being drawn out of the crankcase.

You might check to see if there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for your vehicle....
For example, 1999 & 2000 3.8L Ford Windstar has a TSB to replace the front valve cover with one that has an improved baffel to correct an issue with too much oil being drawn up through the PCV valve.

I added a catch can to my PCV line.
However, I get very little in the catch can during warm weather.
I get a lot of liquid in the catch can in the cool winter.
I located my catch can at a cooler location, away from the hot engine.

If you draw too much oil up through the PCV system over a long period of time, you can build up carbon in the cylinders, and also gum up the intake.

However, it is SUPER important to have the PCV system working to remove the bad vapors from the crankcase....which helps the oil last longer by removing chemicals that would otherwise cause it to break down sooner.

A thicker oil will help with blow-by if loose rings are the cause of it. A lubricant in the gas like Lucas UCL or premix outboard lubricant will also help to reduce it. If the blow-by is caused by leaky exhaust guides then all you can do is use a high detergency oil and change it frequently. There is also this thing called a rebuild...

If by chance you determine that the blow-by is caused by worn piston rings, change your oil over to a straight HD40. All the gardeners around here swear by that method for curing oil burn off in worn out small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back