Nissan Matic D replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 calls for Nissan Matic D ATF. I was told by Nissan that Dexron III equivilant will work. So, I contacted salesrep to get the Schaeffer's #204 Dexron Supreme and he said no to Matic D. Why will it not work for Matic D replacement fluid? What is a good replacement fluid? Castrol Dexron VI?

Amsoil ATF is a good replacement for Matic D. My wife's 2004 Sentra has Amsoil ATF in there in place of the previous Matic D, and she has commented on how it shifts smoother.

DexronIII/Mercon can be used as well (verify in your owner's manual), but shift quality and fluid life will be affected. Dexron VI should work since it is a replacement for DexronIII. Look for Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import ATF, it is a high friction modified fluid that is a replacement for Matic D ATF.

I flushed my 05 Sentra @ 15K and 30K with Matic D. I refuse to pay the high price the dealer charges for it on my next OCI. I will be switching over to Castrol Import or Chevron MD. From another member on here. He says the Nissan trannies shear any oil thats in it. He even tried Mobil 1 ATF. He did a couple of UOA's. He came to the conclusion, just buy the cheapest stuff and stick to a 8K-10K OCI.

I can buy the new Chevron MD-3 for $1.79 a quart at my local Costco. I found the Castrol Import for $3.99 a quart. From what I have read here. It's a semi-synthetic.

I would only say go with the Multi-Vehicle over Dexron VI because of price. In all honesty, those are just my recommendations, go with the one that fits your payment plan.

D matic isn't anything special. Any DexronIII/Mercon will work. Mercon-V would be an easy upgrade. The universal/multivehicle ATFs are a good choice.

I see no reason why Schaeffers doesn't recommend 204 for D matic. But, not every company has the resources to test their fluid for every imaginable specification available.

Quote:

From another member on here. He says the Nissan trannies shear any oil thats in it. He even tried Mobil 1 ATF. He did a couple of UOA's. He came to the conclusion, just buy the cheapest stuff and stick to a 8K-10K OCI.

Yea..that was me. That was my conclusion at the time. Not saying I have changed my mind. But I still sometimes wonder if the Nissan stuff would be better. For the record I am now using Mercon V. It should be a step beyond DexIII/MercIV. I have a UOA in right now.

I used Mobil 1 ATF for awhile in both my '01 Altima & Maxima (cheaper than Nissan D), but switched to plain 'ole Pennzoil Dexron III (cheaper than M1). Been using that for the last 40-50K miles, respectively. No issues.

I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a '99 Altima with good results. It seems Valvoline may have changed the Maxlife formula slightly since the last time I bought the fluid as I noticed a lot better shift performance than usual after a change, the bottle now says can be used for Mercon V, and it smelled different (not definitive of course).

I would not use MaticD if u are passed warranty.

I would also not use some high end syn ATF since the transmission has a propensity to chew it up..

I would use a good Mercon V and discard in 15 K mile (3rd oil change) -- u settle for an ATF which far better than MaticD/DexronIII and somewhere less than a full syn ATF.

Having done many drains/flushes on my maxima, I have realized I get the best of the tranny when I do frequent drains/fills rather than wait for 30K miles.

Hi. I have a 96' INFINITI I30 which has 125k.
It should be changed ATF because the gasket of pan will be replaced on this weekend. Which ATF is good for the car?
I heard hundreds times Amsoil is good but it also expensive than normal one which I used to use Valvoline High-mileage.
Should I change it for my car?
Thanks.

Quote:

I would use a good Mercon V and discard in 15 K mile (3rd oil change) -- u settle for an ATF which far better than MaticD/DexronIII and somewhere less than a full syn ATF.

That's what I do in my Nissan Sentra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back