Another "What's Replaced Dexron-III" Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for not using the SEARCH function. I'm to tied up at work at the moment and am hoping for some clarification.

Made a trip to the local Auto Zone awhile back for some Castrol Dexron-III to use in my step-sons 2000 Accord. I realize Honda has their fluid, but the Castrol Dexron-III has always worked well for me in this car.

The kid at AZ told me the patent had expired on "Dexron-III" and they had to rename it something else. He pointed me at Castrol's replacement for Dexron-II and quite frankly I do not remember what it was called. So far so good. The car shifts smoothly.

Is there a new "universal" name for whatever has replaced "Dexron-III" ?

Thanks for your time.

Mike Murrell

Castrols Domestic multivehicle ATF is the current version of their dexronIII/mercon fluid. If they gave you the import-ATF or Merc-V, even better.

Castrol have a DEXRON-VI, it's listed on the approved fluids page on the GM website. If you are interested take a look at the link that I posted on the Valvoline synthetic DEXRON-VI thread. the list is quite comprehensive now from what I can see, so lots of choice.

DEXRON-VI has replaced DEXRON-III and as has been pointed out, it is 'thinner' but that's only when it's new. When it is in use it actually maintains its viscosity much better over time than a normal DEXRON-III fluid.

BTW, the 6th generation Accords already have their own share of transmission problems. The last thing you need is to create another possible cause of accelerated failure by using a non-approved fluid. While Dex3 may shift OK in the Accord, you really cannot tell if this is causing accelerated clutch wear over the long run.

BTW...this is GM's official stance on fluids that are recommended for vehicles previously serviced by Dex3/Mercon:

Quote:

During early 2005 General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Since the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON®-III service-fill fluids available at the time it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON® service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON®-VI.
Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949 it has been periodically necessary to upgrade the specification. This upgrading process ensures that available service fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory fill fluid performance. It should be noted that, as with previous upgrades, DEXRON®-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON®-VI fluid, i.e. DEXRON®-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON®-VI ATF. DEXRON®-III fluids should not be used for these applications where the owners manual recommends the use of DEXRON®-VI. GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.
All DEXRON®-III licenses expire at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date GM will only support the use of DEXRON®-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in DEXRON®-III applications” or similar wording should be avoided. DEXRON®-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

GM isn't Honda. Does GM or Honda recommend DexronVI in Honda vehicles?
Why would DexronIII caused accelerated clutch wear in a transmissions that requires it?
If this transmission requires ATF-Z1, it or an equivalent should be used. If you require DexronII/III, then you do NOT have to upgrade to DexronVI if you don't want to.
If you require Z1 and use DexonIII, add a fluid converter.

MikeMurrell, what does your transmission require in your owners manual? What does the bottle of replacement ATF that you bought actually say? Be a little specific if you want the thread to stay on track and answer your questions.

I still have not seen anything saying D6 is sage to use in D2 vehicles, so to say it is completely backwards compatible is not entirely true.

I feel just fine using a DEXRON III compatible fluid from a reputable manufacturer like Chevron's MD3. It has to be better then the "multi-vehicle" fluids that claim to work in even more applications.

-T

The new name is "AMSOIL ATF"
grin.gif

By the way, Dexron-III is still produced and licensed, but the license is for Allison transmissions and the name is TES-389. Allisons cannot use Dexron-VI. As said above, all GM Hydromatic transmissions now use the new Dexron-VI.

The older Honda transmissions (way before 2000) that spec'ed Dexron-II were the only Dex-II transmissions I know of that cannot use Dexron-III. They need either the Honda ATF or Dexron-III plus Lubegard black, or a universal ATF "recommended" for Honda.

I can't speak for licensing arrangements and such for Allisons, as I haven't read up on it. But I work at a Detroit/Allison dealership. I work in the engine department, and as such don't know much about the transmissions. I have seen, though, that the our new standard fill for all Allisons was recently changed from Mobil Dexron III to Mobil Dexron VI- Transynd is sold as an upgrade.

Quote:

By the way, Dexron-III is still produced and licensed, but the license is for Allison transmissions and the name is TES-389. Allisons cannot use Dexron-VI.

Then why does the owner's manual for my '06 Duramax specifically call for Dexron VI in my Allison transmission?

Quote:

but the license is for Allison transmissions and the name is TES-389. Allisons cannot use Dexron-VI. As said above, all GM Hydromatic transmissions now use the new Dexron-VI.

This says other wise from http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/

Quote:

In 2007, all four-speed and six-speed Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions, as well as many of the Allison 1000 six-speed, will be shipped with DEXRON®-VI.

Quote:

MikeMurrell, what does your transmission require in your owners manual? What does the bottle of replacement ATF that you bought actually say? Be a little specific if you want the thread to stay on track and answer your questions.

The car calls for the Honda fluid - I believe it's ATF-Z1

In the future will use the following as Castol claims it's Z1 compatible as per info in the URL:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9012226&contentId=7028224

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back