TGA scan--Homemade Noack test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update--I have good and bad news, the bad news--ignore my old data, I have found a problem with my method, the good news, after some trial and error and some pretty tight results with my new method I am confident my new numbers should be very good. I think I know how oil companies are able to show such excellent Noack numbers based on some of the problems I ran into. I think the biggest thing is the volume, but more importantly what I would call the thin film surface area of the oil exposed to whatever atmosphere the test is run in. Basically, as my volume increased,and my surface area increased my numbers decreased for the same sample. Regardless I have solved the problem, and like I said, I am very confident that with my new method my nubers will be very representative of the oil stability with my test. I would really like to see the ASTM method for using a TGA for Noack to see their exact procedure, but now that I have my problems pegged down all should be well. Anyway, drop this posting, I will start up a new updated post with the new method, reminder--this is not ASTM method so take as you will. I will re-post some of the old oils above with the new method, and move on to some of the new samples generously provided by Motorbike.

We appreciate your time and understand the method is not exact .

Anyone else interested in donating a sample he needs more variety of synlubes . Here is what I sent .

Napa 10w-30 Synthetic
Torco 5w-20 Synthetic
Castrol Syntec 5w-40 "Belgium"
Schaeffer 132 Moly EP treatment
Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
Valvoline Maxlife Oil Treatment
Mobil 10w-30 SuperSyn
Synergyn 3w-30 Synthetic
Synergyn 0w-20 Synthetic
Saab 5w-30 Syn Blend
Kendall 5w-40 Synthetic
Castrol 0w-30 Synthetic " German "
Motul 10w-40 E-Tech 100 Synthetic
Amsoil 10w-30 synthetic " AMO-PAO type "
Mobil 0w-40 Supersyn
Fina ELF 0w-30 Synthetic
Mobil Long Life 0w-30 " Saab "
Mobil 0w-30 Formula Extreme TriSynthetic
Schaeffer 10w-30 Syn Blend
BMW High Performance Synthetic 5w-30
Torco 5w-30 Synthetic

offtopic.gif

Motorbike - Is that one shelf or the whole inventory?

I only have 2 samples I could send and you had them both.

Just bits left over in opened quarts . Not a stockpile of oil
smile.gif

The only oils I have enough of to run 6 or more intervals on are the

Fina ELF 0w-30 Synthetic
Mobil Long Life 0w-30 " Saab "
Synergyn 3w-30
Saab 5w-30 Blend

I'd love to see Motul 300V or Redline in the test! But being in Australia I cant really send anything!

quote:

Originally posted by lobo11:

I would really like to see the ASTM method for using a TGA for Noack to see their exact procedure, but now that I have my problems pegged down all should be well.

It looks like ASTM D-2595 is 6.5 hours @ 400F from what I could find . Hope this helps

These guys have all the good info these days
tongue.gif
They make good beer too but are relatively new to the art of drinking it and are liteweights at it
grin.gif

-

quote:

Originally posted by Lumberg:
So whatever happened with this?

Don't know. I haven't heard from Motorbike in a long time. Hope all is well.

I ran some of the Syntec 10W-40 after seeing the TGA scan and liked it. Then they went to SM additive levels, so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back