Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Just a FYI for anyone with a ~2004+ Cub Cadet 2-3K series garden tractor. CC specs “Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus” for transaxle oil. This dealer only oil runs ~$8/qt and really doesn't look like anything special. These transaxles hold 5-6qts. I did some research on it several years ago and found that this oil is/was made by Shell. This year I swapped out the 'cub oil' with Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 and my usual Carquest 85410 hydraulic filter. I've had it in there now for a couple weeks and all is perfectly well! It's so easy to change the oil and spin-on filter in these transaxles, and they hold so much, I don't reap the benefits of synthetic for my application. Here is the OEM oil specs that were faxed to me from the fine folks at Shell back in 2005:
ShellTTF-SB1.jpg

ShellTTF-SB2.jpg

RT 15w-40 isn't an exact match by any means, but my tractor hasn't complained. Here is the Shell data: http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaT(CJ-4).pdf

Joel

Keep us up on this JTK. I think we're all pretty sure how it's going to work out for you. Just fine.

But things on BITOG tend to get around the net pretty quickly. It would be nice to see it influence a lot more people to call B$ on the overpriced Cub fluid...

To me, the interesting part of this thread does not pertain to Cub vs. Shell hydraulic fluid but to the substitution of motor oil for hydraulic fluid--of any brand--in a hydrostatic transmission. Let us know over time how it works out.

The Shell fluid appears to be some sort of UTF likely designed for other uses but adequate for this use. It does say it has frictional characteristics that are proper for use with wet clutches and brakes. But the Cub transaxle has neither of those.

The specs look pretty lame. -15 pour point? What kind of "synthetic blend" is that?

I've seen some posts on other boards with links that recommend M1 15W-50 or Syntec 5W-50 in Hydogear transaxles.

So other than those special frictional characteristics and the "excellent rust and corrosion inhibition" that it might possess, it looks a lot like a common SL 10W-40.

JTK will keep us posted on how it works I'm sure. I'm as curious as the next guy since I have a Cub Cadet but my guess is that it will be fine...

Quote:

To me, the interesting part of this thread does not pertain to Cub vs. Shell hydraulic fluid but to the substitution of motor oil for hydraulic fluid--of any brand--in a hydrostatic transmission. Let us know over time how it works out.

All of the modern day Hydro-Gear and Tufftorq brand hydrostatic drives I know of run motor oil usually in the 30-50wt range. Cub uses Hydro-Gear hydros on the current 2-3K series machines. All these transaxles are, is a hydrostatic drive bolted to the input of a differential/axle housing. The brakes are an external disk brake. For what ever design reason, the old time Sauer/Sunstrand/Danfoss hydro transaxles ran more of an ATF/Hydraulic fluid.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back