What do you use to clean your oil extractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Pela 6000 that I recently used to take a sample of my T-IV ATF (I haven't heard from Blackstone in over two weeks. Thanks postal service!).

I'd like to use it to take 5k mile samples of oil in my cars. If you own and use an extractor, what are you using (if anything) to clean it between sampling? Thanks!

What extractor are you using?

I'd been told to use vaspol (paint thinner) but I'm concerned about residual amounts contaminating my samples.

Brake Clean (non-chlorinated). Just assure that it can "run off". No residuals. Expensive (relatively) ..but effective.

Spray electronics cleaner would also work well, but is probably pricier than brake cleaner. I store all my 'oil extraction' tools, funnels, grease guns, etc.. in one of those square shaped kitty litter pails with an air tight lid, much like a 5gal bucket. Everything inside stays very clean and any oil just drains to the bottom.

Joel

Denatured alcohol with highly refined sunflower oil left over from one of my VO projects years ago. Lubes the seals nicely without damaging them.

Be careful of dawn and water as it will destroy/neutralize oil add pack if ANY gets into the mix.

Common sump mityvac if not cleaned perfectly will contaminate UOA.

If the product is a lubricant or has additives or silicone it can contaminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back