2007 Mazda 3 2.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L (non-turbo) with about 1300 miles on the clock and debating when I want to do my first oil change. I've already decided on the oil. I'm going to use Amsoil ASM 0W-20. It has excellent properties for an xW-20. How long do you guys initially leave the factory fill in your new cars? According to Mazda the first oil change should be done at 3000. I was thinking of going 2500 just because a new engine has a lot of wear metals and silicon. Plus I want to get synthetic in there ASAP
grin.gif

Pablo - get on Amsoil to make some EaO cartridge filters for the 2.3L will ya?
ooo.gif

I wish there was a definitive answer also. But it ranges from 500 miles to 5k miles.

There has never been definitive proof that I've seen here @ BITOG, that wear metals are extraordinary in the first OCI of a brand new engined car.

Quote:

I wish there was a definitive answer also. But it ranges from 500 miles to 5k miles.

There has never been definitive proof that I've seen here @ BITOG, that wear metals are extraordinary in the first OCI of a brand new engined car.

All of my UOAs on my new engines ( I have changed factory fills out between 1000-1200 miles) have shown high wear metals and break in SI. I've even posted every one here.
dunno.gif

Then the following UOAs show low to no wear metals. I think that shows high wear metals in the factory fill...

I'd change the oil out around 1000-1500 miles, do a 3k oci with conventional then go to the syn if you want.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

According to Mazda the first oil change should be done at 3000.

Maybe that dealership recommends 3000, but Mazda recommends 5000, unless that changed for 2007.

I don't think it's necessary to do the first change early, but I did mine at 1K anyway.

i swapped mine out at a little over 800 and found a bunch of metal shavings in the oil. right now im just running chevron dino and am about 1100 miles into this run. im gonna swap it out again with chevron at 4000 and then synthetic at 7000.

Did mine at about 500 miles with a cheap dino. A bit sooner than my intended 1K miles but my daughter wanted to see grandma so I did it before she left.

Give it another 1.5K miles or so and I might swing PP in.

I usually run my new cars until the manual-stated "break-in" mileage has occured. Then, I dump the initial fill, and go with whatever oil you'd like...including any synthetic you'd like. I do NOT think this practice is necessary, nor do I think it will extend the engine's useful life. I have observed much more metallic-looking "shavings" in that factory fill, though.

Quote:

I have changed factory fills out between 1000-1200 miles) have shown high wear metals and break in SI. I've even posted every one here.
dunno.gif

Then the following UOAs show low to no wear metals. I think that shows high wear metals in the factory fill...

I'd change the oil out around 1000-1500 miles, do a 3k oci with conventional then go to the syn if you want.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

I've followed a similar plan as Bill's in every new car I've ever owned (except for my Honda which recommended 7.5K and I changed at 2K.) and I've never had a problem. None ever burned oil either. I agree with Bill in Utah totally.

I have very seldom seen factory fill that exceeded the condemnation limits. Will there be more metals in the initial fill? Sure. Some wear-in and some leftovers from machining and assembly. However I have never seen any proof that total ENGINE WEAR is any greater or less with an early change. We would have to experiment with disassembly of some new engines run-in both ways. I suspect the results would be inconclusive. I always thought condemnation limits were set to protect the engine so as long as the oil does not exceed condemnation limits why would it need changed?

That said, I change mine early. Why? It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling! Plus, you can never tell when some pzzd assembly worker will decide to spike the engine with a handfull of sand.

Yes you're right, 5k for "section 2". According to the manual 3k miles is for Puerto Rico. But they gave me a paper that said the first "service" is due at 3 months/ 3k miles. So that's obviously an oil change. Yeah, you know what it doesn't make sense to run an oil with high contaminants so long the first couple of oil changes.

I just finished changing it, lol. It was pretty dark for 1300 miles exactly. I put in some Castrol Syntec 5W-20, it was on sale... so whynot? I'll probably run that for 2-3k dump it, then go with my Amsoil. :)

I swapped mine out at about 1500 mi with MC 5w20. Next was at 3000 Havoline. My next will be PP. Same motor in both my rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back