2007 Subaru 2.5i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i. The dealer performs regularly scheduled oil changes at 7500 mile intervals using Quaker State 5w/30 for free. I plan on keeping the car for 150-200k miles and would like advice on whether using synthetic at 7500 miles would benefit longevity. Another option would be intermediate oil changes at 3750 miles. I don't want to throw money away but want to ensure a long healthy life for the car. Most driving is on the highway, a daily 20 mile commute to/from work and monthly 1000 mile trip to my reserve drill site. Thanks for your insight, Guy.

Quote:

For your driving conditions, I'd hit the marks right in the middle and do synthetic every 5000.

I agree. That's what has always been done on my car. It recommends 7500 for normal service and 3750 for severe service, and I think 5000 is a perfect interval for my car, it's kept it nice and clean and I bet it would do the same in your Subaru
smile.gif
That was with dino oil, too.

I'd (and AM) going with a good Conventional 5w-30 every 5k or 6 months in my 07 Outback.

Your weather up there is much cooler durning the summer and winters are warmer so less stress on the engine.

The Subraus will make 150-200k with any oils.
driving.gif

My VW jetta with yesterdays oils is still going strong at over 310K! All on conventional oils which were bought on sale.
twocents.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Drain and refill at 3750 interbals with a conventional Quaker State 5-30 oil but no filter change.

Let the dealer change the oil and filter free every 7500.

Quote:

Drain and refill at 3750 interbals with a conventional Quaker State 5-30 oil but no filter change.

Let the dealer change the oil and filter free every 7500.

Excellent idea!
cheers.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

Just have the dealership do changes every 7500 miles and you'll be all set. Check the oil level in-between services. There's no legitimate reason to change the oil more often than every 7500 miles under your type of service. It'd be a waste of money and resources.

Ask if they'll do it free every 5000 miles if you take care of every third change. They'll be doing the same # of free changes per 100,000 miles, but your engine will stay cleaner.

eg.

5000 them
10,000 them
15,000 you
20,000 them
25,000 them
30,000 you
35,000 them
40,000 them
etc.

Quote:

but your engine will stay cleaner.

Prove it. And also prove how any differences in engine cleanliness, as little as they may be, will have a significant impact on engine life.

In my 2.5i Im going to run 5000K OCIs with synthetic after the first 10K. 3k OCIs until 10K just to make me happy.

Enjoy the 2.5i, it's a peppy engine isnt it?
smile.gif

I've run all of our Subaru Outbacks on synthetic every 7000 miles using:

- Redline 5W-30 or 5W-40 [ once did 10,000 miles and UOA was excellent ]

- Castrol Syntec GC 0W-30

- Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30

[I like the Redline and the Excellium the best ]

Subarus are said to be easy on oil and should easily reach 200K for non turbos

Most modern oils are really good! But I like synthetics oil.

Subaru did decrease the OCI for Subaru Turbos to 3750 recently. But NA Subarus should be fine with the 3750 severe/ 7500 normal.

Since Shell owns Quaker State it is probably an excellent oil for its type, but I still might like to see the 5000 mile intervals mentioned above.

If the dealer was willing to change at 5000 miles instead of 7500 and charge for every third oil change, or upcharge you to synthetic at 7500 miles that would be better, IMHO.

You might be able to just bring in your own bottles of an approved synthetic oil, and just make sure the dealership mechanics actually put it in your car, and not their own stash.

Or change the oil yourself at the midpoint of the free 7500 mile dealer changes and let the dealer change as agreed. I would certainly do this regardless for the first oil change at 3750 miles.

When I look at the oil charts from Subaru they like a thicker oil for higher temps or load...so a 'thick' 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic seems like a good oil.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...e=0&fpart=5

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

but your engine will stay cleaner.

Prove it. And also prove how any differences in engine cleanliness, as little as they may be, will have a significant impact on engine life.

Oregon winter will put the car out of the normal use 7500 mile category.

Doubt it. 20 miles at 70mph+ is more than enough time to warm the oil to normal operating temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back