Car vibrating after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the oil changed in my 2004 Explorer on Friday. As I started to drive away, I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel that wasn't there before the oil change. It isn't a constant vibration. It vibrates for a second, stops, vibrates again, and so forth.

I noticed on the oil gauge that the level was slightly higher than usual. The gauge was never at this level after my previous oil changes. The oil level on the dipstick was slightly higher than usual too. It was between the top of the hashmarks (full) and the top circle on the dipstick. I called Ford and they told me that this level was still acceptable.

Since the oil change I have only driven it twice for about 60 highway miles total and the oil is already kind of brown. It definitely doesn't look like new oil. Is this normal?

What is causing this vibration that I feel on the steering wheel?

Thanks for your help.

Some engines will react to oil viscosity and oil filter used.

It would be good to check your oil level, and check everything under the hood to make sure that you weren't a victim of shop 'funny business'.

Get your oil changed somewhere else and see if issue goes away. If not, search for loose hoses, wires.....

I know Ford said it was OK, but the only time I ever had a problem like that was when I radically overfilled a crankcase. The crank throwing around the oil will definitely cause a vibration. Glad I caught it on a test drive before the customer picked it up.

[ Since the oil change I have only driven it twice for about 60 highway miles total and the oil is already kind of brown. It definitely doesn't look like new oil. Is this normal?

What is causing this vibration that I feel on the steering wheel?

Thanks for your help.

NO.
Is this a dealer change? Did they change the filter, or possibly forget and then overfill the crankcase?
Wrong fluid?
Let us know.

I would definitely do another oil/filter change - for piece of mind, if anything, kind of makes you wonder if they didn't just ADD oil and not change it.

The LAST time I ever had someone change the oil on my Isuzu Rodeo V6 was Big O Tire - it was during a VERY cold winter spell when we first moved back to Colorado from the desert, I only had them change the oil because the viscosity in the truck was pretty thick, and all of our tools were still packed.

That engine does hold more oil then most V6's of the same generation, i.e. 6 qts; well, somehow or another, they not only used the 6 qts I gave them, but they also felt the need to add in another 2.5 qts.

Not only did the truck run funny, but it blew the valve cover gaskets, sparkplug boots had to be replaced, and so did all 6 plugs - it was grossly overfilled.

We dropped the oil ourselves, and right about 9 qts came out of that truck - I'm really surprized that those were the only repairs that had to be made.

NO ONE has EVER laid a hand on that truck's oil level since - still running great almost 5.5 yrs after that incident with no other repairs needed.

I was really amazed that we didn't have to replace more seals/gaskets.

Many places during an oil change will remove the air filter and see how dirty it is in an attempt to sell you more than an oil change. So that area of your engine may have been disturbed also.

Thanks for the replies.

I went to a quick lube place for the oil change, not a dealer. However, I am going to a dealer to get the oil changed again to see if this solves the problem. Would they be able to tell if the oil was even changed? The oil had not been changed for about 5,000 miles before I took it to the quick lube place on Friday.

I am glad I found this site because I am learning a lot and I might even start changing my own oil.

What color should the oil be after driving only 60 miles since the oil change?

Indeed, it shouldn't change that much that fast. I know for example my color of my oil stayed pretty much the same even 1000 miles into the OCI, but it was 95% highway.

Change that filter. What kind is in there now? You don't have to wait. take it out and put a new one in and top off the oil. It is cheap insurance. Oil should be clean and not smell like anything else except out of the bottle when its that new.

Last edited:
Quote:

What color should the oil be after driving only 60 miles since the oil change?

Clear if it is gas powered, ugly black if it is a diesel.

Yes, take it upon yourself to do and enjoy doing your own oil changes. Productive, beneficial, cost effective, and therapeutic work.
Lots of people do their own, from all walks of life. Professionals, dropouts, average Joe's, and trained technicians.
If you tackle it, you'll find a ton of people willing to walk you through it. Get good tools and products, and use this site. You'll learn a lot and benefit yourself and others. Win-win.
cheers.gif

Hope they didn't drain your tranny, and then add oil to your crankcase. Result - twice as much oil, and about 1/3 of the tranny fluid.

Read about a fiasco like this on some forum, courtesy of a quick lube joint.

I'll take a different tack and suggest you may have had a low tire before the oil change. They check and add air as part of the 33-point inspection or whatever.

Especially since it's an Explorer, no shop wants to take any chances with the underinflation fiascos from the previous generation.

You could have a bad belt showing up in a tire that was previously masked by low air, or some problem starting in the front end.

Quick Lube places check all fluids. Id check my power steering fluid...they may have put the wrong fluid in there....also they may have dripped/dropped oil on your belts...that will cause slippage and thus vibration...check for oil on your belts ( wear off eventually and go away) and check your power steering reservoir...make sure they a) used the right fluid...
call and ask...many of those quickie lube places will just put ATF in the power steering and your car may call for a specific power steering fluid....it has nothing to do with your engine oil friend.....check the above items out....

Engine vibration? First things I would look at would be the spark plug and injector wiring. Also, check to see if they messed with your PCV valve. I wouldn't want the oil too high in any event.

Oil change causing a vibration in the steering wheel? In our business, we call that an "ever since". People always assume that any problem that comes up within 6 months of bringing the car in to the shop was something that the shop did wrong.

A steering wheel vibration has nothing to do with engine oil level. A steering wheel vibration would be caused by something like a bad tire, warped brake rotors, or bad suspension components.

I think eljefino's explanation is the most logical. Check your tires, etc, before automatically assuming Jiffy Lube did something wrong.

AcuraTech - Sorry to bring this thread a bit off topic but perhaps still on topic, my Integra's steering wheel has always vibrated at idle, but stops vibrating directly when I start moving again. The Acura dealership told me this was normal for a car of my age/mileage. Any thoughts? I was thinking a motor mount, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back