Univ Trans Hyd fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I have a 2006 Kubota 3430 GST (glide shift trans). I'm very happy with it. I'm considering changing my hyd/trans fluid to either the Kubota Super UDT or possibly the equivilant such as Schaeffers 315 Simplex Supreme. Right now I'm running the regular UDT in it; it shifts ok, but I can tell a difference between when it's cold and warmed up, and I ofter shift under load while mowing for turns and hills.

Does anyone have any experience with an upgrade of this type? Did you get better shifting performance? I've not checked the cost on either product; anyone got suggestions?

I went through this with an IHC tractor but I suspect my experiences might be the apple to your orange (pun intended.. red tractor, orange one, get it, heh, heh?)
ooo.gif
. I went even more generic, using the Tractor Supply THF instead of the vaunted Case IH Hytran. After two years, no immediate problems to report but an oil analysis at the end of this season may tell me more. Hopefully there are some Kubota geeks on the board to help answer your question. My obviously meaningless and debatable contribution would be that there are usually better and less expensive alternatives than the factory oils, and not always super expensive ones, so keep looking and researching.

Jim - input is always appreciated, especially the apple to orange joke!

I am currently running the TSC (Traveller?) THF equivilant as well. I cannot tell any difference in it from the actual Kubota UDT. I'm all about saving money IF the fluids are comparable. I've never been brand loyal on fluids. I believe that as long as I have a minimum performance level in mind, and a major brand name I recognize makes a compatible fluid, I'll buy what I can find on sale. For example, for my Duramax, I've had Rotella, Delo and Tection in it because in my area, Menards and Advance Auto Parts always have something on sale for a great price.

My interest was to upgrade my Kubota to a better fluid for better shifting in my GST transmission. To be honest, I'm not even sure exactly how this trans works. It seems to be some sort of a hybrid between a true hyro and a traditional synchro trans. Anyway, a couple of different dealers I've spoke with have told me that the UDT is fine, but I'd get better shifting and performance out of the Super UDT. That makes sense as it's (presumably) a better fluid, perhaps a semi-synthetic?

I am considering using the Schaeffers Simplex Supreme as it's rated to cover all the regular THF's, and also the more premium ones such as JD's upper end fluids and the Kubota Super UDT. I've never used a Schaeffer product, but the UOA's for their motor oils on this site seem to be very respectable. I would presume that the Schaeffer will be cost competitive, if not cheaper than, the Kubota Super UDT.

Please keep me informed on your UOA for the TSC THF; I'm very interested since I'm running it now. What type of transmission does your IHC have? That might make a difference to my analysis as my GST is sort of a self-clutching shift type unit; might be what some would call a shuttle shift. The best way to see it for yourself would be to check the Kubota web pages and look at the Grand L series; I have a 3430 GST.

Been outta town, hence the delay getting back on the board.
Comparing my 'Binder to your Kubby is probably another apples/orange thing. It has the mechanical 8-speed trans, though with a hydraulic torque amplifier (2 more speeds) and hydraulic PTO. It's a fairly hydraulic-intense tractor but the drivetrain is mostly gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back