New (used) truck, How about this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a used 1996 Ram at auction. It's in pretty good shape and runs pretty well. I was looking over the Mobil webpage and have been looking for an oil like this for a long time. The truck has a *very* minor main seal leak, Not enough to change the level on the stick or anything like that, Just get a drop or two underneath it every once in a while. I was thinking about giving Mobil 1 High Mileage a whirl to hopefully clean it up and maximize it's life. Your impressions would be helpful.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx

I don't know the Mobil product, but assuming it has the typical high mileage oil's seal conditioners, it seems like just the ticket for your truck if you are going to run a synthetic. One question though, is do you really need a synthetic? A regular high milage may do just fine. I take it you are a Mobil fan. I am a Valvoline fan, so my choice is Maxlife, either blend or synthetic. The blend Maxlife has a lot going for it, including moly, PAO, extra detergents, and seal conditioners.

Somebody needs to mention running Auto-Rx to correct the seal issue or this topic won't be complete.

Disclaimer: I have not personally used Auto-Rx but have recommended it to a friend for a rear main seal leak on a Jeep Cherokee.

So can I assume because no one has torn Mobil 1 HM apart it's a decent oil for my truck?

TallPaul-- I'll consider Maxlife. I guess I figured for the nominal cost between the two, Mobil 1 would be worth it. I assume it's a "high(er)" detergent oil as well? This engine isn't nearly as clean as my other Ram, Even at half the mileage.

I think it's a great oil, running it in my mini van, use
it and be happy.

M1 is
approved.gif

Quote:

it and be happy.

M1 is
approved.gif

Thanks. My main concern was the slight main seal seepage/leak. But after doing a little bit of homework, It seems that while leakage may incerase for a while, It almost certainly slow down over time much like it does with auto RX.

Quote:

Quote:

it and be happy.

M1 is
approved.gif

Thanks. My main concern was the slight main seal seepage/leak. But after doing a little bit of homework, It seems that while leakage may incerase for a while, It almost certainly slow down over time much like it does with auto RX.

right i think so to,

i have 164k on my 3800 v6 with it and no issues at all

Ok. Mobil 1 HM is in the truck. I noticed an instant difference. The trucks feels a little smoother (probably my imagination) and actually runs a little cooler. I'm going to go with 2 very short intervals (1500 miles) to minimize an chance of of plugging up anything. Is it possible for an oil to clean aggressivly enough to plug a pickup screen? Or am I just wasting my money?

Quote:

Ok. Mobil 1 HM is in the truck. I noticed an instant difference. The trucks feels a little smoother (probably my imagination) and actually runs a little cooler. I'm going to go with 2 very short intervals (1500 miles) to minimize an chance of of plugging up anything. Is it possible for an oil to clean aggressivly enough to plug a pickup screen? Or am I just wasting my money?

I woudn't bother no oil will clean that much that fast,but
if you can't sleep good at night do a 3k OCI and see how
it likes it,also i would run an oversized filter too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back