AutoRx, Synthetic Oil and seal leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many have experienced oil leaks when using synthetic oil, especially when changing from Dino to Synthetic Oil. The reason for oil leaks when using synthetic oil is because synthetic oil cleans away the crud - same reason as why Autorx can cause initial oil leak. (I am not talking about very old engines that came with seals that are not compatible with synthetic oils)

As such, just like AutoRx, does it not also mean that once the Synthetic Oil finally washed away all the crud surrounding the seals and allows fresh oil to lubricate the dry seals, the leaks should stop.

In short, when using synthetic oil and experience leaky seals, just increase frequency of oil changes and leaks should stop - just like what Autorx does.

Do I make sense?

Auto-Rx cleans the front and back side of the seal material
(Auto-Rx does not swell seals) after cleaning the seal is very pliable as such it wil leak (initialy perhaps more than before)

we use the simple additive chemistry in non synthetic oil to restore pliability and stop leak.

In some sense that makes total sense! I do take exception to the "Many have experienced oil leaks when using synthetic oil, especially when changing from Dino to Synthetic Oil." Really it should be "some" or "a few". In fact I can't think of anyone locally.

But no juice will fix a torn seal OR a seal that is worn out by the grinding action of dino coke-oh crispies. To me the new modern oils are pretty easy on seals - the worst are pour point agent filled conventional oils that are infrequently changed.

Quote:

Auto-Rx cleans the front and back side of the seal material
(Auto-Rx does not swell seals) after cleaning the seal is very pliable as such it wil leak (initialy perhaps more than before)

we use the simple additive chemistry in non synthetic oil to restore pliability and stop leak.

So if there might be an initial leak with auto-rx, how do they stop again? I don't quite understand the last sentence, perhaps someone could elaborate that?

Just my 3rd grade hypothesis, but perhaps as arx cleans the seal, there's a temp leak until it actually reconditions the seal. I know Frank says use dino for sure on seal leaks.....
dunno.gif

After pondering on that for a while, I think he meant that's why you should use a dino for the rinse phase rather than a synthetic? Could be wrong though.

Synthetics are not supposed to, but do cause leaks in seals and gaskets, and cause some slip out.
We see it when people change over to synth oil, but it is the exception, not the rule.
The engine doesn't have to be dirty inside, either.
It just happens, sometimes.

I think I see the logic yummy88's post. I have alway heard that synthetic oil does not cause leaks, it simply cleans the gunk that was stopping the leak. It seems a logical question why Auto RX wouldn't also "uncover" an unknown leak. My truck has 75,000 miles on it (the last 25,000 of those miles on synthetic), and I am awaiting my Auto RX in the mail. I wonder if I'm not about to cause a problem?

This shouldn't be a problem at all. I have been using synthetic in all my cars. There have been no problems with Auto-Rx, both rinse and clean with dino and as a maintenance dose in synthetic oil. No leaks.

i'm sure that there are some exceptions but synth oils do not cause leaks. they use to before changing their chemistry. auto rx does not expand the seals either. it is suppose to be a cleaner.

older oils did cause problems for seals. now if the seal is bad, it will leak. like stated, there are no liquids out there to fix messed up seals.

Auto-Rx has never said synthetic oil causes seal leaks. What we do say if there is a seal leak we use the "simple additive package" found in non synthetic oil to restore pliability and stop leak. After using Auto-Rx to clean the front & back seal material.

I see
smile.gif
Thanks. How does Auto-RX stop leaks though, if it doesn't swell the seals? Does it just return the seals back to factory state, rather than overinflating them?

Indeed, that's the main reason why I wanted it
smile.gif
I didn't have any sludge at all, but I figured the rings were probably pretty dirty from having dino its entire life. But just to make sure I completely got this right, ARX cleans the seals and dino restores them?

Quote:

I think I'm missing something.

Yep, me too.

One other thing I don't get is that if the "simple add pack" of dino oil is what actually helps the seals, why does adding ARX to syn oil help to maintain the seals as is stated in the FAQ on the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back