What trans oil? (3000GT VR4/Getrag AWD Trans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I figured I'd ask you guys, since this website and forum is almost priceless when it comes to lubrication information/advice.

I own a 1992 3000GT VR4, which has a 5 speed Getrag transmission, which I just had freshley rebuilt. Here are the fluid recommendations:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-awddrainfill.htm

Recommended lubricants (from the service manuals)
Manual transaxle and transfer case:
Hypoid Gear Oil, SAE 75W-90 or 75W-85W conforming to API classification GL-4

The Getrag used on these AWD 3000GTs have yellow metal syncros. I am currently running BG Syncroshift II (75w-80),and it is expensive. Is this to light of a gear oil? Would you recommend going with Redline MT-90 or another brand with a GL-4 rating that has a good reputation?

I drive the car hard on the street, and want the most protection I can get without sacrificing shifting smoothness.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Along with the Redline MT-90, I would suggests the Amsoil 75w-90 GL-4 MTG as well. It seems to have a great reputation on here, but I have not had any experience with it...yet.

Quote:

Along with the Redline MT-90, I would suggests the Amsoil 75w-90 GL-4 MTG as well. It seems to have a great reputation on here, but I have not had any experience with it...yet.

Thanks for the reply. I've never used an Amsoil product so i'm not familiar with their performance. I wouldn't be opposed to using this though. I'm assuming I can order it online somewhere?

Any other suggestions?

You can get Amsoil products from either of the Amsoil site sponsors by ordering from them online. Pablo is typically around the most, Gary Allen and Don are the other two. That way some of the money goes to help support this site.

Also to add, I've heard Royal Purple makes good manual transmission oils, but I'm not sure which particular product would be best for your application. I'll let someone else chime in there.

RoyalPurple Maxgear 75w90
Redline MT90

Since you can use an 85wt, if shifting becomes a PITA, you can dilute 25-50% by mixing: the RL MT90 with MTL, the RP Maxgear with Synchromax, or the Ams MTG with MTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back