Hydraulic oil or Motor oil for case skid loader

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a case 1835B skidloader and the original manual calls for 10/40 motor oil with a hto additive but when I talked to Case about this they said that all the new ones are running 15/40 with the same additive, my question what would you recommend running in it. They recommend the additive because of the hyrostats.

My application guide shows the following.

0-130 deg F 20W/50
-10 - 104 deg F 15W40
-20 - 55 deg F 10W/30
-45 - 10 deg F 0W/30
Add Case HTO additive to this oil in the ratio of 1 part additive to 20 parts oil.

Personally I don't use engine oil in this type unit. IMO engine oil belongs in one place, the engine. I use Texas Refinery Corp.'s Pro-Tac IV oil. It's the perfect replacement for unit's that spec a engine oil and has the correct additive package for this type of application.

I worked at a Case construction dealership for a few years in Colorado. We put 10W30 and HTO additive in all the skidsteers. Seemed to work fine... and I'd stick with the manufacturer's reccomendations. I think either 10W30 or 15W40 would work just fine in your application... I'd probably chose based on the temp you're operating in. Also, considering that that's a pretty old machine- it might benefit from the thicker 15W40.

Also worked on John Deere skidsteers a fair amount. The older models spec HyGuard hydraulic oil, but the new ones spec 15W40 with not other additives. Motor oil can make a perfectly good hydraulic oil.

I've thought about running synthetic in it 10/30 or 15/40 with the HTO additive just for the cold flow part and something that would be durable and hold up, but I wanted to make sure that was the right weight first before I did anything else.

Never seen anybody run synthetic, but I imagine that it could help, especially in cold weather. Both Case and Deere strongly warn the operator to allow the skidsteer to warm up before driving it at all when starting in cold temps (freezing or below, I think).

Quote:

So your saying that the texas Refinery Corp's oil has the correct additives including the HTO additive in it as well?

Yes, it already has the correct additives in it and does not require anything additional. It is designed for this type of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back