Castrol GTX or Supertech Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if Castrol GTX is better than Supertech Synthetic since they are close in price. Is the Supertech Synthetic going to be better because it is a synthetic or is the GTX better because it has a better additive package? I know that the Supertech line is just an inexpensive oil and not a name brand but I just want to know I am using the better of the two if I will only be doing 5k OCI's. Thank you.

Joe,

My last UOA was with GTX. UOA with GTX 5w-30

I am running Supertech 5w-30 syn right now and will get getting a UOA next.

I'll have to see the UOA on the Supertech before I can say how it performs.

Stay tuned..

Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

whats the eta on the supertech UOA, how many more miles?

I'm at 3k right now. But I'm going to be on vacation a week every month for the next 5 months so that will drop the miles.

I'd say middle to end of next month. I was thinking of 7.5k, but I may just change it @ 6k.
dunno.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

That sounds great, Bill! I am anxious to see those results as I know the GTX is a great oil but for the price the synthetic might be a better option. Yes, vronline, I have a terrible time picking an oil to stick with.
smile.gif
I am definitely going with the Supertech filter for $2.42 at Wal-Mart next OCI and hoping to settle on an oil for then as well.

Looks like i'm in the same boat as you coffee, i'm really on the fence as to what I wanna use yet, but I just got a couple of Supertech's to try out
smile.gif
Can't complain for $2.50, even though I try to avoid Wal-Mart whenever I can.

The best "under $3.00" value oil at Chinamart is the five quart jug of Motorcraft for $10.69 - followed by Trop Artic at $1.68 per quart.

I started getting a rough idle while using Supertech synthetic at around 4.5K. Immediately after switching brands, the idle smoothed-out.

GTX is a well formulated oil with many strong UOAs posted here and a major motor oil company backing it. Supertech is whatever the lowest bidder provided and was able to get past the SM spec requirements one way or another.

I know which one I would choose.

Better still, use the Rebates, deals etc. section on bitog to score name brand synthetics for less than either of those will cost at ChinaMart.

Quote:

GTX is a well formulated oil with many strong UOAs posted here and a major motor oil company backing it. Supertech is whatever the lowest bidder provided and was able to get past the SM spec requirements one way or another.

I know which one I would choose.

Make that 2 votes for the GTX. Supertech Synth has almost no additives, and GTX has turned in UOA's that rival that of some entry level synthetics anyway. I tried Supertech Dino in my Jeep for a rinse OCI, and as mentioned earlier, the idle got rough and the butt dyno said it just wasn't running right. Switched back to Maxlife, and no problem. Sure made my confidence in Supertech Oil's wane...

I'll tell you I was two licks away from grabbing Maxlife synthetic to throw into my 45k mile V6 Tacoma.

Just bought it 6-7 mnths back and had been running the GC 0w-30 in it; well the GC has become VERY hard to find in Colorado since then. So, we were on the fence as to which oil to run in it as we were very adament about wanting to stay with GC, being a true synthetic.

I've heard and witnessed true benefits of the Maxlife regular and synthetic in an older truck, but thought to give the Castrol GTX a try first and see how it goes.

I will do a 5k oci, if all feels good during that time, I'll run another round of GTX then do a UOA.

Went off the comments of other 3.4L V6 Tacoma owners and what they felt did good in the engine.

Once it's out of warranty however, I'm tempted to run the Rotella synthetic 5w-40 diesel/gas oil in it for 7-8k miles easily I'm sure.

If I had Volvo's, they'd be running the Rotella synthetic - excellent oil for the price.

Wanted to add that just because it's labeled a synthetic doesn't always mean that it'll be better for your engine then a regular oil.

To drive that idea home, I performed 2 UOA's on Havoline oils, one was synthetic, the other dino - the dino performed much better according to wear numbers.

Havoline synthetic was never highly regarded here. Had you compared the Havoline dino to something like Platinum or GC, your opinions on synthetic benefits may have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back