Do synthetic oils have a superior film strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mentioned in this thread that synthetic oils have a superior film strength compared to their conventional counterparts; your comments on that declaration please.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Yes, synthetic oils normally withstand more pressure on the oil film in a boundary lubrication situation.

Not sure if the 7x factor is accurate - it may be an Amsoil number.

The film strength factor is why it's natural to expect the Amsoil oils to perform well in the 4-Ball wear tests, to generate a lesser wear scar, as the "competition" is normally a group of dino/conventional motor oils with less film strength and more reliance on the ZDDP & secondary anti-wear adds.

Well, keeping in mind that on this subject, I'm a self-educated (apart from long ago physics and chemistry classes), I'm with Bruce on this one. He, of course, has cred far beyond what I can offer.

Blue, great comment. From my long ago mathematics, algebra, and calculus classes, I recall integers, fractions, real numbers, imaginary numbers, prime numbers, complex numbers, compound numbers, others I've totally forgotten, but this is the very first time I've hears of Amsoil numbers. What are those??? Should I go back to my undergrad institution and demand some money back for my seemingly inadequate education?

that was me throwing out numbers from memory... remember reading an article somewhere that was comparing dino to synthetic film strenth, saying that most dino oils had a film strength of around 500-900PSI, while synthetics were more like 2000-4000PSI.

I'm glad you started this thread... because I think going over this is important (but probably been done in the past, but things have changed a lot in the last few years)..

there was a time when dinos were dinos, and synths were synths. and now it seems more and more dinos are coming with more and more groupIII, while more and more synths are stepping down to groupIII... So there is probably more overlap in film strength nowadays...

I have heard the following argument:
Any oil has many times the required film strength to keep metal-to-metal contact from occurring in an engine.

But I have also seen pictures of engines taken apart, and seen engines in person all in pieces, and every one of em shows wear on the top of the rod bearings(scarring, marring, etc). (I think it's called a rod bearing, I'm not an engine rebuilder, so I don't always remember all the names of these parts).. but anyways, where the force of the burning fuel, is transmitted down the rod to the crank, there's a lot of force there, and the evidence I have seen, always suggests that oil did NOT keep protect as well as "ideal" would be.

I'd like to see a test, 2 engines on a bench, attached to a load, run like heck for days on end. then torn down... one with dino, one with synth.... full throttle, loaded down to like 3000rpm with some kinda resistance, even a lawn-mower engine could probably be a great platform for this test.

Film strength is a strange term. What's the test procedure for measuring it? I think the HTHS viscosity means more in an engine and we know the HTHS of many oils so it's a ready data point. And I agree with Bruce, who is my knowledge superior, that additives play a bigger role in laying down films than basestocks apart from viscosity differences.

Quote:

Yes, synthetic oils normally withstand more pressure on the oil film in a boundary lubrication situation.

Not sure if the 7x factor is accurate - it may be an Amsoil number.

The film strength factor is why it's natural to expect the Amsoil oils to perform well in the 4-Ball wear tests, to generate a lesser wear scar, as the "competition" is normally a group of dino/conventional motor oils with less film strength and more reliance on the ZDDP & secondary anti-wear adds.

If you notice the additive levels in synthetic oils are not lower than comparable petro oils I would have to say not exactly ,,,so. Especially pao which is a copy of a perto oil molecule.

Quote:

From my long ago mathematics, algebra, and calculus classes, I recall integers, fractions, real numbers, imaginary numbers, prime numbers, complex numbers, compound numbers, others I've totally forgotten, but this is the very first time I've hears of Amsoil numbers. What are those??? Should I go back to my undergrad institution and demand some money back for my seemingly inadequate education?

Well, ekpolk, a very impressive list of the many matematical varieties of numbers!
smile.gif

I'd say your higher education $ were well spent. But what the academic types at the universities don't teach, or want to admit, is that one of the most commonly used numbers is loosely defined as being "pulled out of a hat"!
grin.gif

And I was thinking about this topic from the additive perspective.

Aren't the additive levels an indication? Both Amsoil & M1 EP are extended drain oils with arguably a minimum of 15K miles built into the formulation.

Since the anti-wear & ZDDP levels deplete over time, should'nt both these formulations have twice the anti-wear adds vs. a conventuinal motor oil?

Quote:

Since the anti-wear & ZDDP levels deplete over time, should'nt both these formulations have twice the anti-wear adds vs. a conventuinal motor oil?

I wondered that too, but it could be in the formulation that keeps the additives from depleting as rapidly as those in shorter drain oils. Similar to TBN formulations, some deplete rapidly then level off, others stay high and then diminish quickly.
dunno.gif

Here's an older post out of the archives by Molakule:

Yes, raw synthetic base oils have lower coefficient of friction and higher film strengths than do mineral oils:

From Lowest COF to Highest:

1. Esters and cycloaliphatics
2. PAO's
3. GIII
4. GI-II mineral oils.

Now start adding quality additives, and some mineral oils come very close to the performance of full synthetics in terms of COF. Many oils include FM's in order to further reduce COF.

View the entire Thread

And one more. This is a classic thread from the initial Bitog days, many fine posts by Bob Winters. Well worth it to read the entire 4 pages of the thread!

Film Strength Thread

As posted by Molakule:

From the NEO synthetic oil Website regarding Film Strength and the Test for same:

"NEO has found that most so-called synthetic oils when subjected to the Falex test ASTM D
3233B will fail at about 1000-1350 PSI, and petroleum oils fail at 600- 700 PSI. However, NEO's
High Performance Synthetic 0w-5 motor oil passed the Falex test at 3500 PSI."

Alisyn, ProDrive21 Type 1, has a film stregth of 4500lbs at 212,000 psi, that is on their >>0W .

I liked one of the posts in the thread linked by Blue99 so much that I'm going to post it here. The author (cit1991) of it only made 45 posts on BITOG!

Quote:

Oil film bearings do not rely on the oil pump to lift the surfaces apart, like a hovercraft. The bearing itself draws oil into a wedge shaped zone (formed by the differing curvature of the two surfaces). More is drawn in than can pass through, so some has to do a U-turn and flow back the other way. This happens because the pressure rises very high (to make the fluid do the u-turn). This induced pressure is what holds the two surfaces apart.

How far apart they get depends on the load and the pressure. More viscous oils develop higher pressures, and therefore separate the surfaces more, for a given bearing and a given load/speed. All of this heats the oil tremendously, so the oil pump flushes out the hot oil, replacing it with cool oil for the next revolution. More viscosity=more heat and less flush flow, so you can have too high a viscosity.

I've mentioned viscosity as if it were fixed. Most oils are very Newtonian (the viscosity is independent of shear rate), but not totally. When the film gets very thin, long chain molecules reptate. Reptation is a term that refers to the chains lining up against one another in thin films (like snakes, hence the term). When they do this, the behavioral viscosity goes WAY up. When not in thin films, the chains curl and overlap, and the observed viscosity goes down.

This process is why oil with a viscosity the same as water lubricates much better than water. We use terms such as film strength and lubricity to describe this phenomenon.

Synthetics are made from uniform-length long chain structures..no aromatics, very low branching. More and longer chains results in better reptation and higher lubricity for a given "in the bottle" viscosity.

Without reptation and the resulting non-Newtonian behavoir, we'd need to run multi-hundred weight oil in the crankcase. It's also why molasses (which are high-viscosity) would make poor lubricant...no film thickening.

Shear stability is the ability of the molecules to not break apart when sheared. All this high shearing can (and does) mechanically break the molecules. This causes a loss in viscosity and an even larger loss in lubricity. Smaller molecules don't lubricate, because they don't reptate as well. Syn molecules are stronger, and can therefore get beat up more without breaking. It's one of the reasons they last longer.

Strictly speaking, higher viscosities do lubricate better, in that the oil films are thicker for a giver service, but not at the expense of thermal stress. Your oil pump is intended to dose all the bearings with fresh cool oil each rev. If the viscosity is too high, it can lead to oil flow bypassing the system through the pump pressure pop-off valve, bypassing the filter due to high DP, and mal-distributed flow through the journals. Because more heat will be generated in the bearings, they need more flow, but the high viscosity leads to less flow, so there's more heating and more bearing drag.

That's why bearings are designed (surface area, gap, finish, etc.) for a given oil viscosity in a given engine. More lubricity is better, not more viscosity.

Viscosity also affects heat transfer coefficient...not thermal conductivity, but rather film coefficient. It's harder to remove heat from thicker fluids by contacting with cool surfaces.

Quote:

some esters maybe but the normal additive system will be the more potent film improver over any base oil.
bruce

I'm totally with bruce.

syth will last longer but not protect better. additives do the work. look at all the uoa's. if syths did all the protection then why do they need additives? I use a blend, not because the oil protects better, the additives do that. uoa's will show that.

The HTHS of oils (old info)with esters

Redline
5w40 4.6
10W40 4.7
15W50 5.8

Motul 300V

5W40 4.51
15W50 5.33

Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 = 4.07cp

Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 = 5.11cp

Silkolene PRO R 15w-50 = 5.23cp

M1
0W40 3.6
15W50 5.11

I'm not an expert on HTHS (maybe JAG or someone will step in here), but the oils you listed are highly specialized, and are finished oils. Which means that the additives in the oils will affect the test.

Amsoil uses esters as well, and their HTHS scores are about the same as the M1 you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back