what grease for rubber suspension bushings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, first a couple of questions about greasing rubber suspension bushings -

is it ok to grease rubber bushings on suspension parts on a regular basis (5-10kmiles) or is there any harm done ?

and if you grease and how does it really help ? the moving joint is "inside" the bushing so I guess the grease will never reach the joint(?)

And finally what grease should I use ?

Thanks!

used the napa silicon spray and man what a difference!
I can feel the most difference in the vertical travel of the suspension (bumps, potholes) and on turns (roll) on both the cars!

But, like I indicated in my first post I am not quite sure how/why it helped. I sprayed it all over any linkages and bushings I could see in the suspension and while all of them are kinda sealed I doubt if the grease actually reached the joint yet I can see a noticeable differnce.
Is it because it softened the rubber ?

Also, is this safe for long term use ? How often can I use it ?

Um... you don't grease rubber bushings.

At least silicon grease/spray won't hurt them... but still. Rubber bushings are not meant to be lubricated.

then how do you explain the squeak that goes away after greasing them and the improvement in various aspects of the ride too ?

I'd suspect that some squeak might go away because some bushings are bad. Spraying something on them might make them sound better... might make you feel better... but it's done nothing for the bushings.

I suspect that any difference that you notice in ride and handling has something to do with a crack pipe.

Rubber bushings are not meant to be greased... when intact and working properly, there are no "wearing" parts- the rubber simply flexes to allow movement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back